Menu

Help me plan a pioneer / Little House party...

lisabees

DD is about to turn 8. She wants a pioneer party. I have some ideas - making the girls aprons, baking bread and making butter and jam, making dolls (not sure what kind), playing some "pioneer" games. DD wants to wash clothes using a washboard (where do I get one?). She also wants to do other chores.

I am really stuck on the invitation.

This party won't be based specifically on Little House or American Girl Kirsten. What really inspired dd was watching Frontier House! :lol:

Any ideas?

last year we did a unit on pioneers. one of our favorite things to make was cornhusk dolls. they were cheap, easy, and my daughter loved them. she still plays with them actually:) here's a link to a blog post last year, and i put pix there: http://mytwomonkeys.webs.com/homeschoolblog.htm?archived=1&page=3

in the post i shared the link where i found the instructions (if interested).

have fun! it sounds like a wonderful party!!!

Maybe not an option, but we found a log cabin at a local park that allowed us to have the party there. The girls swept the cabin and played house. I made the girls bonnets, and everyone came in costume; it was adorable. I also gave each girl a slate (little chalkboard) and chalk so we could play school. It really was so special. Start asking around if anyone knows of a nearby log cabin - you might be surprised.

We did this recently except my girls were older. All the girls came dressed up. We made cornhusk dolls, and tin can candle holders. I took empty vegetable cans and filled with water and froze. Then they took a nail and punched a pattern into the can. When the ice melted enough it came right out of the can and we put a tea light candle in it. The girls played in the yard some old fashioned games from the time period (they planned these themselves), we had a fire, a cake shaped as a pioneer girl and homemade icecream. We were going to decorate aprons, but there was not enough time. It went well, and everyone had fun.

She might like to make dipped candles at some point. Not really a good idea for the party though because it takes too long and you don't want a bunch of kids around hot stuff. I did find it very gratifying when I was around 10ish. The time it took was also a good lesson in understanding how much work went into everyday things and was probably a large part of why it was so gratifying. Butter and washing things will be fun and accomplish the same, obviously.

You can find washboards at craft stores sometimes and at music stores if you have a good one nearby.

Have fun! I am stealing your idea for future use!

DD is about to turn 8. She wants a pioneer party. I have some ideas - making the girls aprons, baking bread and making butter and jam, making dolls (not sure what kind), playing some "pioneer" games. DD wants to wash clothes using a washboard (where do I get one?). She also wants to do other chores.

I am really stuck on the invitation.

This party won't be based specifically on Little House or American Girl Kirsten. What really inspired dd was watching Frontier House! :lol:

Any ideas?

Maybe corn husks with a note tied to it inviting them to bring the husk back to the party for a pioneer craft/surprise?

How about using a die-cut for the invitation in the form of a cabin or a wagon? Our local scrapbooking store has diecuts and so did one of the colleges we lived close to (at the Education library).

We did a tinkerbell party one year and included glitter in the invits as "fairy dust." Maybe you could put "prarie dust" (brown glitter) in the invites? Some of the kids actually sprinkled the glitter on themselves before coming to the party ;)

We went to the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead in DeSmet last year and they made "buzz toys", as well as simple coth dolls (square of cotton material tied over cotton balls for the doll head), had the opportunity to spin wool (with a drop spindle), go on pony rides, and make rope.

More ideas

We did this one year, too. Such fun. Two years later my daughter still wears the Laura Ingalls dress I made her. Beings it had no waist and was quite full, it has only gotten shorter in length but still fits.

We served the luncheon on speckled tin plates and drank from tin cups, although the speckle part probably wasn't authentic...? We also made corn husk dolls, and one of the gifts she received was a paper doll set.

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

Your daughter had a great idea! I'm sure it's going to be adorable. You already got so many great ideas. I don't have much to add other than to say that my oldest dd and I went to a party like this many years ago. It was for moms and their daughters and everyone was dressed up. I brought my Anne of Green Gables soundtrack cassette (didn't even have a CD back then) and they played that music in the background while everyone enjoyed eating and visiting. I'm sure the girls all made stuff crafty stuff too, but I can't quite remember. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!

Here's a blog with some info regarding a party she had. The invitation is cute:

http://thedecorologist.com/wp/party-proposals-little-house-on-the-prairie-party

Susan

This is adorable! It's decorated so cute. I would love doing this someday! I also love the little lunchpails, chalkboards, etc that were the gifts for each girl. What a creative idea!

Maybe not an option, but we found a log cabin at a local park that allowed us to have the party there. The girls swept the cabin and played house. I made the girls bonnets, and everyone came in costume; it was adorable. I also gave each girl a slate (little chalkboard) and chalk so we could play school. It really was so special. Start asking around if anyone knows of a nearby log cabin - you might be surprised.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude! Thank you all for your fabulous ideas and links! I am busy looking through all of them. :001_smile:

I started asking around today about renting a cabin. There is a park that rents one with a roaring fireplace! I'll call on Monday.

Thanks again. This might be more fun for me. :D

Edited by lisabees

How about folding simple handkerchief dolls? No sewing required!

We made these at a scouting function when we went to visit Fort Boonesborough, KY. The girls really enjoyed them! In searching a little further, however, I think these are by far prettier, and perhaps even easier. You have to click each picture on the side to get the instructions.

Have fun!

last year we did a unit on pioneers. one of our favorite things to make was cornhusk dolls. they were cheap, easy, and my daughter loved them. she still plays with them actually:) here's a link to a blog post last year, and i put pix there: http://mytwomonkeys.webs.com/homeschoolblog.htm?archived=1&page=3

in the post i shared the link where i found the instructions (if interested).

have fun! it sounds like a wonderful party!!!

Love the blog! Doll making will definitely be one of our activities. Now, which to do? Corn husk dolls or handkerchief dolls? Is there a reason to pick one over the other?

This was a great idea. I found two places. A log cabin without a kitchen and barn with a kitchen. We'd like to make homemade bread, so a kitchen would be ideal. I've always done parties at home, so we're not sure yet...

She might like to make dipped candles at some point. Not really a good idea for the party though because it takes too long and you don't want a bunch of kids around hot stuff. I did find it very gratifying when I was around 10ish. The time it took was also a good lesson in understanding how much work went into everyday things and was probably a large part of why it was so gratifying. Butter and washing things will be fun and accomplish the same, obviously.

You can find washboards at craft stores sometimes and at music stores if you have a good one nearby.

Have fun! I am stealing your idea for future use!

Ace Hardware ordered a washboard and tub! We'll definitely try candle dipping at some point. ;)

How about using a die-cut for the invitation in the form of a cabin or a wagon? Our local scrapbooking store has diecuts and so did one of the colleges we lived close to (at the Education library).

We did a tinkerbell party one year and included glitter in the invits as "fairy dust." Maybe you could put "prarie dust" (brown glitter) in the invites? Some of the kids actually sprinkled the glitter on themselves before coming to the party ;)

We went to the Laura Ingalls Wilder homestead in DeSmet last year and they made "buzz toys", as well as simple coth dolls (square of cotton material tied over cotton balls for the doll head), had the opportunity to spin wool (with a drop spindle), go on pony rides, and make rope.

More ideas

Love the toy ideas! I also considered embroidering their initials on handkerchiefs. I'd love for them to stitch something. This party may take all day!!

We did this one year, too. Such fun. Two years later my daughter still wears the Laura Ingalls dress I made her. Beings it had no waist and was quite full, it has only gotten shorter in length but still fits.

We served the luncheon on speckled tin plates and drank from tin cups, although the speckle part probably wasn't authentic...? We also made corn husk dolls, and one of the gifts she received was a paper doll set.

www.heartsforhomeschooling.blogspot.com

Ah, yes. Paper dolls! I got some old pie plates from the thrift store to use as plates and will probably use blue speckled cups! :D You didn't have a blog post about this, did you? I didn't find one.

Here's a blog with some info regarding a party she had. The invitation is cute:

http://thedecorologist.com/wp/party-proposals-little-house-on-the-prairie-party

Another thought, make paper prairie bonnets.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5753800_make-paper-prairie-bonnets.html

Susan

Is that party fabulous?? Here are two more for anyone interested!

http://onecharmingparty.com/tag/american-girl-pioneer-party/

http://homeschoolblogger.com/dixiemom/160534/

How about folding simple handkerchief dolls? No sewing required!

We made these at a scouting function when we went to visit Fort Boonesborough, KY. The girls really enjoyed them! In searching a little further, however, I think these are by far prettier, and perhaps even easier. You have to click each picture on the side to get the instructions.

Have fun!

I love the ideas of making dolls. The handkerchief dolls seem easy. Not sure which to do...corn husk or handkerchief.

Thank you everyone! So many great ideas!