Menu

SO excited to start AAS...any tips?

nov05mama

So, I have been wanting to try AAS and just couldn't take the plunge b/c I wasn't sure...I scoured the forums here (and elsewhere) and finally jumped :D

I picked up our Level 1 materials and starter pack today at the local homeschool store here and got everything prepped :D I am so excited!!!

Any tips or tricks that anyone has that I should know up front? I have a smaller magnetic white board (not the recommended 2'x3'...it's only about 18" across or so) that will work, but is a larger one really more beneficial? Just wondering if I should add it to our 'to buy' list at some point?

TIA!!!

We've always used cookie sheets for our magnetic tiles. I have a toddler, and always have since starting AAS, so leaving the board up with the tiles on it was never an option for us. We use three nesting cookie sheets, then we can put them on a high shelf when we are done with a lesson (my oldest is now on Vol.3).

:)

dont get hung up on doing a whole lesson. we take our time and often

dont do the phrases and sentences in later books until the next day and often take a day for review if needed.

words that wrong are written on a flash card in blue (for consonants) and red (for vowels and vowel teams). he studies these by visualizing them, writing them with large arm movements in the air and other practices we have learned from too many other spelling programs we have used!

we absolutely love this program.

have fun and enjoy!

teresa

Have fun! I took the advice from someone here to do spelling for a certain amount of time, and not to worry about how much is done. You can use a timer and when it goes off just stop, and then pick up where you left off the next day.

And I am jealous that you have a local homeschool store!!!! :w00t: You were just able to walk in and buy AAS!??! :drool5: That is amazing. You are so lucky.

Something another poster on here recommended to me was to space the tiles a bit on the board, rather than having them right next to each other, touching and in a straight line. Having some space makes it easier to get them in and out without being a perfectionist about making sure they're perfectly straight. Boy was she right! :lol:

Oh, and I got a 2'x3' magnetic white board at Sam's for $17. I think it's a couple dollars more at Walmart, if you don't have a Sam's membership. My Sam's board has held up great. I leave the tiles on the board, and I tuck it behind a dresser in my bedroom when we're not using it. All my "off limits" school stuff is in my bedroom to keep toddlers out. Though one day this week the toddler did get to it, and my middle son who is just learning to read, got to practice his alphabet putting the letters back. :D

Thanks so much everyone!! Great advice so far!!! :D

And I am jealous that you have a local homeschool store!!!! :w00t: You were just able to walk in and buy AAS!??! :drool5: That is amazing. You are so lucky.

YES! I LOVE it!! We are SO fortunate to have a homeschool store within about 5 miles of us!! It's in Raleigh, NC ;) Right in the heart of North Carolina and the weather is great :D

(and just in case there are any local NC'ers reading that don't already know about this awesome resource... http://www.homeschoolgatheringplace.com/ ) :w00t:

Thanks so much everyone!! Great advice so far!!! :D

YES! I LOVE it!! We are SO fortunate to have a homeschool store within about 5 miles of us!! It's in Raleigh, NC ;) Right in the heart of North Carolina and the weather is great :D

(and just in case there are any local NC'ers reading that don't already know about this awesome resource... http://www.homeschoolgatheringplace.com/ ) :w00t:

:svengo:

I don't have advice to offer with you per se, because we are just a month into AAS, but I will offer some encouragement...even with just a month under our belts, my ds9 (who is doing it to fill gaps and provide some remediation) is already noticing improvement. I see him responding very well to the lessons, i.e. they are not drudgery for him as spelling has been in the past, and he is recalling the rules and applying them as he works in subjects other than spelling. This is amazing for us because he was beginning to feel very discouraged about his spelling struggles, and now he has hope. :001_smile: