Menu

For those living in New York...

how do you like living there? I am not talking about the city, but more north where the farms are and everything. My family wants to move out there since it is cheaper and we want to have a lot of land for a farm. My question is, how is it? What's it like and what do you all do there?

I wouldn't mind living there, just would like to hear from those who live there.

Houses and land prices here are outrageous. We live in upstate NY outside of Albany. Buying a house or land in NY is highly unlikely for dh and I just due to the taxes and pricing of the houses.

Groceries are also very expensive as is the gas. Dh and I would *love* to get OUT of NY! Dh's family is from Indiana and we lived there when we first got married. It was much cheaper. If it wasn't for the fact that my family lives here in NY we would move back to Indiana, get out of NY and never look back!

Someone else who lives even further out of the capital district may have something different to report!

I also don't know how NY compares with other New England states. Just midwest states.

I grew up in rural NY. I was 25 when we moved to FL. We were about an hour north of the city, but it was a very small town with farms all around. Our whole extended family lived there, and we camped a lot and spent a lot of time in the mountains. I had an idyllic childhood, and never realized there was any other way to grow up. I truly loved it.

I still visit my hometown, but now it feels small and depressed to me. My aunt says it's always been that way; who knew? :001_smile:

We live about an hour and a half from Buffalo and I really like NY for the amenities....not so much for the taxes. The area will live in is both rural and residential. Go one mile from our house and you have Target, Walmart, huge grocery store, banks, resturants....everything....go one mile the other way and there are farm fields. For us this area is wonderful. Would I live here if I had a choice? Probably not, but I don't have a choice so we make the best of it.

We moved to upstate NY, Saratoga Springs area this past summer from southern IN, b/c of dh's job. (as in - he found a job here) I really do like living here but ...

-housing is high, as is just about everything else

-hs paperwork is a hassle, not difficult (at least not yet) but is a time consuming pain, doesn't change how we hs though

-taxes are outrageous

-depending on age of kids, there are a bunch of hs activities, haven't really meshed w/ any hs group for my dc though but, in general, just a lot of available activities & my dc are enjoying them

We live in what I would consider a very small town, not a rural area so I can't comment on that aspect.

Good luck w/ your decisions.

We live 90 miles north of NYC. Small city but there are farms near by.

PRO- Good library systems

Activate home-school groups

Lovely mountains

CON- Expensive- housing, taxes, food etc.

Lots of home-school paperwork- not too difficult but lots of it

Crazy people in the state capital- you never know what they will come up with next

:)

I also live close albany (Saratoga ) and moved from Indiana. Everything is pricer here, especially the property tax. U can easily pay 10k a year v.s. similar house you probably pay 5k in tax in IN. However, we do enjoy the ski, hiking, waterfall. kayaking. There are so many things to do around here

Houses and land prices here are outrageous. We live in upstate NY outside of Albany. Buying a house or land in NY is highly unlikely for dh and I just due to the taxes and pricing of the houses.

Groceries are also very expensive as is the gas. Dh and I would *love* to get OUT of NY! Dh's family is from Indiana and we lived there when we first got married. It was much cheaper. If it wasn't for the fact that my family lives here in NY we would move back to Indiana, get out of NY and never look back!

Someone else who lives even further out of the capital district may have something different to report!

I also don't know how NY compares with other New England states. Just midwest states.

Depending on what community you live in and how much your property is assessed for. There are lots of jobs for skilled workers and quite a few in the food industries but not much "factory work" I guess you'd call it. You will probably pay more for your property the closer you are to a city. Rush hour in the small towns is from 7:15-8:15 am and 4-6:30 pm as people leave or arrive home. Right now good farm land is selling for $2000+/ acre. More if there is any building on it. Forget heading to any of our lovely lakes for the day...most of the property around them is privately owned and off limits to the general public. There are many parks though (but financial concerns mean the state and counties are threatening to close more of them every year) and they are very nice. Almost every small town that has a school also has a public library.

For teens in the country there isn't much to do unless you like the outdoors or farm type activities. I drive my children 4 days a week to nearby cities for activities they are involved in. Many parents with children in the public school have their children involved in sports or afterschool activites to try and keep them out of trouble. There are hs groups around where I live but most are directed toward families with younger children.

New York state leaves it up to the individual school districts to decide if hsers can participate in any school sports or clubs. Most do not though I know of two very small rural school districts that do or did in the past.