Menu

Math Mammoth on HSBC

Satori

What if you do not want to buy the whole package? Is this discount only available if you buy the WHOLE set in each series?

I want some of the topical instrucation books(Blue), But I do not want to buy the whole package since we won't be using all of it.

Or is it just cheaper to buy the whole thing?

And, it must take ALOT of printer ink to print out all of this??? Yes? No??

Maybe I missed this question and it has already been asked. If so I apologize in advance.

Oh, and one more question. If you DO buy(Or have to buy) the whole series, they do not accept Paypal? ONLY credit cards?

TIA:D

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll have to go to the MM website and calculate the cost of what you want to get and compare it with the HSBC deal. The HSBC deal is for the whole series, but it's 40% off, possibly 50% off, so it may or may not be cheaper to get the whole thing. I already bought grades 1 and 2 (light blue) and still needed 3-6. It was cheaper for me to get the 1-6 package at 40% off than to buy them from MM directly.

Printer ink: Fast draft is your friend. :)

I don't know if HSBC takes PP. I used a CC. You can use PP at Kagi or CurrClick (both sell MM). Also, there are often 20% sales at Kagi and CurrClick. I know both had one back in August, and there was another one at Thanksgiving and another one recently (for Kagi at least).

Is it possible to link it on FB? I didn't see a link, but I'll check it again. :auto:

I just copied the http address off of the Internet Explorer address bar, and then put it in my status on Facebook. (or click the LINK underneath your status, but the address there, and then write what you wish on your status before posting)

If you don't know how or cannot grab the full address off of your browser, here it is to copy:

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1447

Ahh.. I see that the forum shortened the address when this posted. So what you do, is hover over the address just above this line, right click and select COPY SHORTCUT from the menu. Then you'll have the address in your "clipboard" (which you cannot see). Go to Facebook to where you want to paste it, and hit Ctrl-V to paste the address in.

Christie P

Edited by Christie_P

Up to 182! Slow and Steady (...now where did I hear that phrase before... ;-)

Seriously - I'm planning on going to Kinkos and printing out the entire year at one time, and having it spiral bound. I figure the cost per page for the pages and the ink will be cheaper there than nickling and dimeing (sp?) ourselves to death by printing it out at home. Plus it'll be neater to have it all bound - no loose papers being turned into crayon projects by toddlers or being lost. And then it'll be easy to pull it out and show the evaluator at the end of the year. Also, no headaches when we run out of ink at home and are unable to get any for a few weeks, or run out of paper, or the printer decides not to work.

Anybody else going to Kinko's and having it printed? Or would all veteran HSers say, "You're such a rookie! It's not worth the bother."

Seriously - I'm planning on going to Kinkos and printing out the entire year at one time, and having it spiral bound. I figure the cost per page for the pages and the ink will be cheaper there than nickling and dimeing (sp?) ourselves to death by printing it out at home. Plus it'll be neater to have it all bound - no loose papers being turned into crayon projects by toddlers or being lost. And then it'll be easy to pull it out and show the evaluator at the end of the year. Also, no headaches when we run out of ink at home and are unable to get any for a few weeks, or run out of paper, or the printer decides not to work.

Anybody else going to Kinko's and having it printed? Or would all veteran HSers say, "You're such a rookie! It's not worth the bother."

Laser Printer + coil binding machine = who needs kinkos? :D

Actually I'm in love with my coil binding machine -- I use it for everything I can think of. Kids want blank sheets for coloring? BIND it into their own blank coloring book and no more loose sheets all over the house. Completed work? Bound takes less space than a 3-ring and I can take apart and rebind any time. History Pockets? Bind them instead of making pockets. We have a separate bound booklet for each child and each subject with color coded spines...ahhhhhhh.....Did I mention I love that thing? :lol:

What is fast draft?

It's one of the printer quality settings. You can choose that to use a lot less ink. I printed all of 1A when it was already complaining about low ink, and I was still able to print more after that.

The price you'd pay to have Kinkos print it, you'd probably save money by buying a $100 laser printer. :)

I'm going to print it out at home (cheaper for me) and then take them to Staples to have them spiral bound.

Unfortunately, money is really, really tight (as in, scrimping on groceries to save up for curriculum) so, no I don't know how much Kinko's would be, or a spiral binding machine, but thanks for making me think about it, and I'll try to estimate the Kinko's price before I go down there. :)

what kind of coil binding machine do you have?

This is the one I got (for $79):

http://www.bindingmachine.com/P~N~CombMate_Comb_Binding_Machine_CB-120~id~7326.htm

I was drooling over the Sircle CB-1800 for $20 more, but the one I got is solid and does the trick.

Main things for me was at least able to do 1" (200 pages), 10 pages/punch, and solid metal construction (the thing is indestructible). The CB-1800 would have punched a few more sheets per punch, but I'm content The $20 bought all my supplies.

I have been really happy with bindingmachine.com. Their combs and cover sheets are WAY cheaper than Staples. Make sure to order plenty at the same time. I ordered a box each of 5/16", 7/16", 1/2", and 7/8" combs (rated at 40, 55, 70, 90, and 170 pages, respectively, but you can sneak an extra 10-20 pages easily) and some clear covers (100 sheets for $8.50 instead of over $20 at Staples):

https://www.bindingmachine.com/Clear-Covers.htm

They offer the combs in a bunch of different colors for the same price as black (yuck), so I got a different primary color for each size. I've probably got a 5-10 year supply of combs, but they were so cheap and saved on shipping doing it in one order. I probably use the 1/2" size the most (and 7/16") and the 5/16" are nice for home made coloring books, etc. Once you get to 7/8 and above, they don't lay totally flat when turned to the middle, so I wouldn't go bigger. My SSL coloring books are in 7/8", but I put several chapters of MM into one 1/2", which seems a nice size.

I already had a lot of 65lb cardstock I use for the back covers. Teased dh since he's been trying to get me to get rid of that cardstock for years. :lol:

HTHs!

I'm ordering too and it's at 214 today! I'm getting the light blue and the make it real series.... Just debating if I should bother getting the extra blue/green/gold as part of the complete set. Maybe that's just overkill. IDK. Opinions??

No, I don't think it is overkill to get the complete package...I did...The Light Blue only goes up tp grade 6, where there are worksheets in the other series (not sure if it is green, gold, or both) that goes up to the 8th grade...I got the complete package on CD...

Getting ready to order but so confused. Blue or Lt. Blue??? Do they both have the same material? I had a hard time sorting throught the samples I got of the blue.. but the light blue seemed easier to sort through.

Are you wanting this to be your main curriculum? If so, get the light blue. It's laid out so that all of grade 1 is in the grade 1A and 1B books (first and second semesters), etc.

Are you wanting this to supplement another curriculum? If so, get the blue. It's laid out by topic, so if you need to supplement addition, you'd use the addition book for whatever level you're working at.

I use light blue, since this is my main curriculum.

Are you wanting this to be your main curriculum? If so, get the light blue. It's laid out so that all of grade 1 is in the grade 1A and 1B books (first and second semesters), etc.

Are you wanting this to supplement another curriculum? If so, get the blue. It's laid out by topic, so if you need to supplement addition, you'd use the addition book for whatever level you're working at.

I use light blue, since this is my main curriculum.

:iagree:

I'm ordering too and it's at 214 today! I'm getting the light blue and the make it real series.... Just debating if I should bother getting the extra blue/green/gold as part of the complete set. Maybe that's just overkill. IDK. Opinions??

How can you tell how many people have signed up?

Bump.... any others? Only 33 more to go and we ALL get 50% off our order!!

Well, I haven't chosen which product I want yet, so I'll be one more soon. I also sent an e mail to quite a few friends, so maybe some of them will sign up.:001_smile:

Ordered, but it was 222 when I ordered, and I refreshed and it said 224 - so I don't know if I was 223 or 224! :-P I'm sure we're going to get there. :)

BTW - can anybody tell me how many pages are in 1A and 1B? Thanks! Want to start estimating what it'll cost to print out at Kinko's. :)

BTW - can anybody tell me how many pages are in 1A and 1B? Thanks! Want to start estimating what it'll cost to print out at Kinko's. :)

1A workbook is 133 pages.

1B workbook is 125 pages.

Cumulative reviews:

1-4: 2 pages

1-5: 2 pages

1-6: 2 pages

1-7: 3 pages

1-8: 2 pages

year: 5 pages

Tests:

Each chapter test is 1 page, so 8 pages total.

End of year test is 7 pages.

I'm buying the biggest set later today. I'm excited about not having to buy another math until algebra!!

Can I ask your reasoning for buying the whole set? I'm debating between getting the light blue or the complete "color" sets. I know it's a great deal, but realistically I'm trying to figure out if I use the light blue as our curriculum then would I use any of the other stuff?

Comments from anyone are welcome. Thanks!

Can I ask your reasoning for buying the whole set? I'm debating between getting the light blue or the complete "color" sets. I know it's a great deal, but realistically I'm trying to figure out if I use the light blue as our curriculum then would I use any of the other stuff?

Comments from anyone are welcome. Thanks!

Most people don't have the problems that I do. LOL!! I'm buying the whole set because I am homeschooling 4 children next year and they have various gaps in their math knowledge. Right now my 7th grader can do pre-algebra but after teaching him this year I realized that he hasn't memorized the multipliction tables, has never done percentages, and he is weak in fractions. Since I was unaware of these gaps until I started HS, I assume that my other 2 will have gaps too. Plus I have a soon to be kindergartener and I want her to have a strong math foundation. I plan to use the Make it Real books for when we are done remediating with my 7th grader. I really don't want to start algebra until he is in 9th grade.

Since I was unaware of these gaps until I started HS, I assume that my other 2 will have gaps too. Plus I have a soon to be kindergartener and I want her to have a strong math foundation.

That makes sense. So what do you plan to do for your Kindergartener? Just start on the light blue and work through, or something else?

I like the look of the Make It Real too -- I'm thinking a couple of the higher level books will be good for my precalc teens.

That makes sense. So what do you plan to do for your Kindergartener? Just start on the light blue and work through, or something else?

I like the look of the Make It Real too -- I'm thinking a couple of the higher level books will be good for my precalc teens.

I actually bought McRuffy math with manipulatives and resource kit for a little over $10 on ebay. I will use that this coming year and then decide whether to go to 1st in McRuffy or use MM.

I'm also curious about the advantage of buying the whole kit and kaboodle. I know I want the Light Blue set, and the Make it Real books. My husband thinks I should order the Everything Bundle, since it's only about $30 more than just Light Blue/Make it Real combined. But. BUT. I don't really know why I'd want the blue/green/gold sets. (Especially green/gold...with no solutions...). But then again..it is only $30 more.....Hmmmm...

I'm also curious about the advantage of buying the whole kit and kaboodle. I know I want the Light Blue set, and the Make it Real books. My husband thinks I should order the Everything Bundle, since it's only about $30 more than just Light Blue/Make it Real combined. But. BUT. I don't really know why I'd want the blue/green/gold sets. (Especially green/gold...with no solutions...). But then again..it is only $30 more.....Hmmmm...

I'd say if you really just want the light blue and make it real, then just order those 2. Should be $84...you'll also get the worksheet generator for extra review. The blue series is pretty much the same as the light blue, and I can't see any real use for the green/gold sets. Save yourself the $30. ;)

I'd say if you really just want the light blue and make it real, then just order those 2. Should be $84...you'll also get the worksheet generator for extra review. The blue series is pretty much the same as the light blue, and I can't see any real use for the green/gold sets. Save yourself the $30. ;)

From what I saw on MM site, I had the idea that the Green/Gold worksheets cover topics that go beyond blue/light blue. Am I wrong about that? I was going to add green/gold to my order for review for DS who is currently working through prealgebra.

Shannon

Just checked again and the site says Blue: Grades 1 - 6

Light Blue: Grades 1 - 6

Golden/Green: Grades 1 - 8/9

So the advantage to having green/gold is that they would cover more topics in junior high math.

Edited by shanvan