Menu

How often for speech therapy?

So I took my 10 year old with the lisp to the dentist, and a screening by the orthodontist there. They said his tongue thrust is causing both the teeth coming out and the lisp. That his teeth sticking out some on top is not the problem but the result of the problem. Makes sense.

I am thinking of taking him once a week for speech and supplementing at home with a home program. He only has a problem with the s sound. He's a compliant child, so I think he will try to do what he is told to do, both by me and the speech pathologist. Does this sound often enough?

My dd has the same problem. We go twice a week for 30 minutes, with homework in between.

My dd started out physically capable of making the correct sound. For her, it's a matter of retraining a bad habit. If that's the case with your son and you can be diligent at home, than I do think once a week would be enough.

Are you using a specific program at home?

The speech-language pathologist will make a recommendation for number of minutes per week after doing an evaluation. You'll want to find someone who is willing to let you sit in on the sessions at first so you can see what kinds of things he/she is doing in order to supplement at home.

So I took my 10 year old with the lisp to the dentist, and a screening by the orthodontist there. They said his tongue thrust is causing both the teeth coming out and the lisp. That his teeth sticking out some on top is not the problem but the result of the problem. Makes sense.

I am thinking of taking him once a week for speech and supplementing at home with a home program. He only has a problem with the s sound. He's a compliant child, so I think he will try to do what he is told to do, both by me and the speech pathologist. Does this sound often enough?

Interesting! My DD4 has the same issue. The dentist felt that the binky caused her teeth protrusion which allows her tongue to protrude causing the lisp. Interesting to consider that the tongue protrusion causing the teeth issue. She goes to speech therapy 2days/week for 30min each. The therapist hasn't given me anything to do at home. She did mention that she has a very slight low tone affecting the sh sounds so I've been having her blowing bubbles w/ a straw, blowing balls across the floor w/ a straw etc as recommended by a friend's DS's speech therapist.

What things have been recommended to you to do at home?

Yes.

My dd was 8 and went to therapy for her Rs. Ds was 6 and went for a number of sounds, including something with his tongue where it wasn't even positioning right in his sleep. Our speech therapist was hs friendly, encouraged me to sit with dc at the session to learn how she was teaching. We saw her once a week, and she gave us daily homework that both of the kids enjoyed.

My dd hated seeing anyone about her speech (that first born perfectionist thing), and had it down within two or three sessions). Ds saw her for several months.

As an aside, your son is older, but don't listen if anyone who tells you it's too late!

We went once per week for 40 min. We did that for 2 years. I don't know that he got that much out of it because he really didn't CARE that he needed to change his speech. I was actually quite surprised that his spelling was fine and he heard the words correctly. He honestly THOUGHT he said they correctly.

The speech therapist finally told me that until he cared enough to change his speech, maybe we should take a break (I initiated the questioning as I was noticing this as well.) So, we stopped.

He still needs some speech (he is 11) but most of it has corrected on its own.