Menu

best printer?

MeganW

Dh is REALLY tired of hearing me complain about our old printer, and told me could use our tax refund to buy whatever printer I want.

Recommendations?

For me the best printer is the one with the lowest cost per page cost.

So, the cost of the ink is the greatest factor for me.(duplex function is a plus too.)

Kodak has really low cpp. I was tempted to replace my brother multifunction ink jet, but I was able to find very cheap (non-brother ) generic ink at amazon. (10 ink cart. for about $10)

You might also researching at costco or other local shops that have ink refill service as well.

HTH,

After doing research on here I decided to drop the coin and purchase a really nice laser printer. I went in to my office supply store selected the two models I was interested in and then asked a sales person about each one i.e. the plus's and minus's of each. After informing me of each he asked why I was buying it. I told him I was going to start home schooling and I would be printing a lot and didn't want to spend a ton on ink. He informed that new regulations had come out that effected the way they make inkjets and then showed several of the newer ones. I ended up with an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium for less money and it is super fast and the ink lasts forever it does not even compare to my 5 year old HP. Plus it is an all in one and does everything. The ink cartridges don't move or waste ink like my older inkjet and I can print both sides at once.

Do you need color?

I have a Brother Laser Printer (b/w) that I LOVE. It is so cheap to use and I think I only paid about $60 for it in August 09' during back to school time.

I still have an HP inkjet that I use when I have to print something in color (not very often). I hate that printer and I grumble about it when I have to buy ink.

I will not buy another inkjet, sometime in the next couple years I plan to buy multi function laser printer.

Calculate the price per page, and go laser. You can get a great b&W for under $100 and a color laser for under $250. In the long run way cheaper than inkjets and just work better (reliable workhorse). I have both a color and b&w laser, rarely use the color. Unless you print a lot of 8x10s photos are better and cheaper printed off at Costco or the like versus an inkjet.

I've had good luck with Brother, but to be honest you have to do your research as things can change over 6mo. They're all pretty good, so once you know the min features, look up the consumables (ink and drum) and compare costs. Definitely shop around and watch for sales.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
DON'T get an Epson!! The ink is wicked expensive, and doesn't last long. :P

That's the problem with the Dell we have now. It was practically "free" when we got the laptop, but b/c it's the new model, you can't buy the ink cartridges anywhere except through Dell, and nowhere can refill them.

I love having a printer that can also make copies. My next printer will be wireless. I use a laptop and would love to just zap things to the printer from the sofa! HP is good quality and works well for us--I would probably just go to Costco and get the hp model with the features I want.

We have 2 HP color laserjets and love them. The toner runs us about $100 per color, but they last about 18 months the colors longer since I don't use color much. One of them is a duplex printer and it's awesome when I want to print some of my PDF TM stuff. I love to watch it print one side and then suck it back in to print the other side, it's just so cool.

Do you need color?

I have a Brother Laser Printer (b/w) that I LOVE. It is so cheap to use and I think I only paid about $60 for it in August 09' during back to school time.

I still have an HP inkjet that I use when I have to print something in color (not very often). I hate that printer and I grumble about it when I have to buy ink.

I will not buy another inkjet, sometime in the next couple years I plan to buy multi function laser printer.

This is exactly the combo I have. I have a Brother HL-2230 that I got for about $85. The toner is $45 on Amazon and lasts a reeeaaalllly long time. It is just b/w, but honestly about 98% of the printing I do can be b/w with no problem. Then I have an HP deskjet for color/photos. It rarely gets used anymore, but is nice to have for that occasional color print.

any feed back on this one: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Officejet-6500-All-in-One-Printer/dp/B001PO6IPG/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300807421&sr=1-10&rps=1

HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer

Give your business the best of both worlds

Looking for a laser printer? Buy the affordable alternative—HP Officejet. You'll get the best of both: the laser quality your business needs at the low inkjet prices you want. Print professional color for up to 40% lower cost per page and less energy use than lasers[1].

i get that is the sales pitch -- but thoughts?

I'm :bigear: because I'm fed up with my printer. The only thing it does well is copy. It is a Canon MP970.

It copies, scans, etc. but it goes through ink like crazy. When printing a black and white page, it uses all the colors. When out of one color, you can not switch and do only black and white (which is what my last printer, a HP, could do). I have a difficult time even connecting a lot from my MacBook. I've given up on trying to go wireless although it has that capability. I use a USB connection now, and get many errors about connection. It is suppose to print nice photos but all of my photos turn out awful (no mater what color setting I use). I simply HATE this printer.

I think the easiest way is to guestimate.. how much you pay for paper is easy' date=' I just bought 2 cases of paper (a total of 10,000 sheets) for $49.00 so that is about 1/2 a penny a page. My ink is $1 a cartridge if I buy it in generic bulk on ebay or amazon, my printer holds 4 at a time (1 black and 3 color and won't work with an empty). I can print at least 2 reams of paper for each set of change (probably more like 3 or 4, but I guestimate at the lower end of the amount so that I have a higher figure as far as how much I'm spending)... so $4 prints about 1,000 sheets of paper, usually front and back and if color is an option on what I'm printing, you bet I use it (my kids like colorful things ;) ) So, my ink is about 4/10 of a penny.... so I figure I am paying about a penny a page.. and that includes printing front and back.[/quote']

But how would you do it before you had purchased, to compare models?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am STILL agonizing over this decision!

Those who know something about printers - what do you think about this? It is an inkjet instead of a laser, but the ink cartridge is $30ish, and it says it will print 2400 pages, so that's a little over a penny a page. The main advantage of laser is cost per page, right? So in this inkjet would be the same? I would LOVE to be able to do 11x17 - I use my printer for other (non-homeschooling) things, and so that would really really save me a lot of trips to the office supply store!

http://www.brother-usa.com/mfc/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=MFCJ6710DW