Menu

So what all do you dehydrate?

After the thread on the Excalibur, I watched the videos on youtube for http://www.dehydrate2store.com and now I'm wondering what all people dehydrate? I sometimes see produce on clearance and freeze bananas when they start to go bad, I've never had much luck with bananas, I never sprayed them with lemon juice either though. I just have a cheaper dehydrator, but it does have a fan and circulates well, but we dehydrate apples all the time and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get an excalibur. I also garden and usually freeze zucchini, but never crossed my mind to dry it. How do you use it once it's dry? Soups?

Apples

Peaches

Nectarines

Pears

Plums

Cherries

Cranberries

grapes (raisins)

Peppers (hot and sweet)

zucchini

tomatoes

carrots

eggplant (not my favorite)

I also use my Excalibur to set my bread dough to raise. I know several ladies that use it for yogurt, too.

I use my dehydrator for strawberries, cherries (sweet cherries and sour cherries), cherry tomatoes, apples, peaches, pears, and fruit leather. It keeps us in snacks for the entire winter.

I loved dried zucchini chips for about 2 weeks after they were dehydrated, but they lost the crispness and flavor quickly, so I haven't dried zucchini since, at least not beyond filling a tray or so specificially for chips to eat within a few days.

Cat

Apples

Herbs (especially basil)

Tomatoes

Zucchini (throw it in random dishes, or just eat like chips)

Grapes (raisins)

Blueberries

Hot peppers

I haven't myself, but a friend has dehydrated onions as well.

I've also made homemade fruit leather with my dehydrator.

I have this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Live-Food-Alissa-Cohen/dp/0974896306/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298210250&sr=8-2

I used it while I was on a raw foods diet.

Don't ask me why I went off the raw foods diet other than it was hard to keep up with while traveling and such.....I felt great while doing it, although I didn't lose weight like I thought I would.

I loved the flax crackers and the "pizza crust"

Dawn