Menu

Do you think some children do NOT do well with a whole-books approach?

Hoggirl

Okay, I am feeling frustrated. My ds read Mara, Daughter of the Nile and The Golden Goblet back in the fall. While looking at a picture of an ancient Egyptian fresco I pointed out the fat cones on the ladies' heads. He had NO clue what these were!!!! I KNOW for a fact these were brought up several times in Mara because I read the book and remembered. Why doesn't he? We are using the MOH as our spine, which he likes fairly well. I have added in several historical fiction readers to do for the year, most of which he has only tolerated. It isn't that he doesn't like to read, but I don't think he is too keen on historical fiction. When he has a book that he likes he reads voraciously. I realize there is something to be said for the discipline that comes from reading something that you don't like, but, honestly, if he isn't "getting" anything out of it, why I am pushing historical fiction?? I was about to assign Victory on the Walls, but after reading a few chapters myself, I thought, "He is NOT going to like this." He is re-reading the Hobbit so he can start reading The Fellowship of the Ring. He WANTS to read these. Is it possible that some students glean more from a straight-forward approach? What and how much historical fiction should I "make" him do? He isn't choosing junk to read, but he just doesn't like historical fiction. What say you? He is 10.5 BTW.

Cynthia

Don't make him read the historical fiction if he doesn't like it. Let him read the things he enjoys. My sister and my dd both enjoy reading encyclopedias. There is more than one way to learn history and historical fiction doesn't work for everyone.

Maybe he is a just-the-facts-ma'am type of guy for history. Timelines, factual history books and stuff like that might make it stick better for him. Also, I found that many of the historical fiction books had a strong gender slant - they were either "girl" books or "boy" books. Maybe some of the books you are trying to get him interested in are too tame for his interest.

It hurt when I realized this because I had to sacrifice my dreams of sitting on the couch and enjoying reading books with the kids. They hate it!

They'd rather listen to books on tape while coloring or browse an encyclopedic type book about the subject.

While they can read chapter books still aren't the book of choice.

For us Homeschooling changed to be about tailoring to our kids learning styles. . . not just mom's ideas. :)

Yes, some don't do well with this. Not all kids are going to do all WTM by the book. None of mine do. My 9 yo is big on history, it's been a growing interest for her since she started SOTW I. She even likes drier books now. But my 12 yo rebels against historical fiction, although lately I've caught her reading fiction taken out for her sister, lol. My ds, 7, finds history completely boring and we're not going to tackle it as a regular subject until Gr 3 or 4.

As for reading historical books on the couch--my voice would be constantly hoarse if I did all the reading aloud prescribed. My girls do most of their reading themselves. I read to my 7 & 9 yos at bedtime when there's no swim practice (dh puts ds to bed those nights). We've done books on tape and CD, and those work well providing the kids like the readers' voices.

My sister and my dd both enjoy reading encyclopedias.

Maybe he is a just-the-facts-ma'am type of guy for history.

My dd is the same way. She loves the Usborne-type encyclopedias, but has little interest in historical fiction (for informational purposes.) She has stated that she wants a straightforward factual methodology. I don't think she would pick out the details like you mentioned either. I am very attracted to a literature-based approach, but it wouldn't serve its purpose here. She may read and enjoy them, but not likely learn much from them - at least not like she does with the encyclopedias. :o

Ds does not want me to read aloud to him at all anymore, b/c he he can do it faster himself. The only non-fiction he chooses to read is about roller coasters! He hates Usborne books (I do, too for that matter...too "cluttered" for me), and would not read an encyclopedia for anything. He reads anything that I "assign" to him, and he really doesn't complain, but he doesn't like it. He likes fiction, and he prefers fantasy as a genre. As an example, he has read all of the Redwall books and loved them. Maybe I am trying too hard to have him possess *my* interests. He is really just a math-y guy and accelerated in this area. I guess that isn't too terrible, is it? Maybe that is why he is a "just-the-facts-ma'am" guy. I just want him to be well-rounded. Oh, and he also does not like discussing what he has read, though THAT will have to change regardless. ;)

Thanks for "listening."

Cynthia

My 9-year-old is this way. He doesn't enjoy reading and really hates historical fiction. He has never enjoyed SOTW like his other brothers have. He hated FIAR. He doesn't like unit studies based on literature.

He does however, enjoy textbooks. He uses Core Knowledge Geograpy and History from Pearson and it has made a huge difference in his enjoyment of school. He likes to learn the facts, whether they are history, science, or even grammar.

Literature has to be a complete seperate entity.

My dd does NOT like historical fiction, but that doesn't preclude a whole books approach at all. We do biography and appropriate children's literature. Your child isn't the only one who detests historical fiction! Try biographies instead.

*I* read Mara this last summer, and then discussed it with my dd this fall. I don't remember the cones. There are lots of other parts of the book that I do recall. Perhaps this just wasn't something that crossed his radar? What *does* he remember about the book? Not everyone remembers the same parts of each book.

My children do not care much for historical fiction either. They LOVE reading biographies though. They will read some historical fiction, but it really depends on the time period being studied. I have just allowed them to pretty much pick out what they want to read. They always make great choices too. I do, however, make them read through a biography a month. They are working their way through missionary biographies at the moment.