Menu

How do HOD and TOG compare academically?

jer2911mom

I realize HOD doesn't go as high as TOG, but for the levels that are available in both, how do they compare academically? Does HOD achieve the same depth as TOG? Does it foster the same amount of independent, critical thinking? I feel like I understand the differences in the way they are set up, but I'm trying to discern the differences in what you end up with with each. Thanks!

I realize HOD doesn't go as high as TOG, but for the levels that are available in both, how do they compare academically? Does HOD achieve the same depth as TOG? Does it foster the same amount of independent, critical thinking? I feel like I understand the differences in the way they are set up, but I'm trying to discern the differences in what you end up with with each. Thanks!

I'm a little hesitant to even touch this question, but I'll try. I compared HOD and TOG for use with a 2nd and 6-7th grader. I printed samples and read every review I could find and posts here on WTM boards. I really love the books HOD chooses and the way that Bible seems to be integrated so thoroughly.

I went with TOG for several reasons. The first being that I didn't think I could choose one level of HOD and make it adaptable to truly fit the academic needs of each child. I don't remember why I came to this conclusion, I just know I did and I didn't want to be organizing 2 levels.

The second reason was because DH and I both felt that in the upper levels TOG requires more of the student and makes him/her think on a deeper level. I was so torn about which to use I showed my husband samples and reviews. It is the only time he has ever looked that thoroughly at curriculum choices. He felt there was just no comparison and gave me the go ahead to buy TOG.

Keep in mind, we had a very advanced reader and history buff (DS in 7th) to consider. I was tired of curricula that claims to meet the needs of older children by telling the parent to assign extra reading and research projects and then gives no guidelines for expectations or assessment. I could come up with those types of assignments on my own! (I'm not saying HOD does this. I honestly don't remember. I'm thinking of another history curriculum which is very popular.) I wanted more for DS and a way of holding him accountable-- which TOG does very nicely with their varied assignments and discussions.

We have been using TOG for 2 years now and it does a wonderful job of meeting the academic needs of both of my children in a way that no other curriculum has. It also (surprisingly) requires the least amount of planning and adapting because it is designed for various levels.

It's been a couple of years, so I can't really give specifics about why we thought HOD was not as rigorous. DH felt pretty strongly about it--that much I remember!

Shannon

I'm a little hesitant to even touch this question, but I'll try. I compared HOD and TOG for use with a 2nd and 6-7th grader. I printed samples and read every review I could find and posts here on WTM boards. I really love the books HOD chooses and the way that Bible seems to be integrated so thoroughly.

I went with TOG for several reasons. The first being that I didn't think I could choose one level of HOD and make it adaptable to truly fit the academic needs of each child. I don't remember why I came to this conclusion, I just know I did and I didn't want to be organizing 2 levels.

The second reason was because DH and I both felt that in the upper levels TOG requires more of the student and makes him/her think on a deeper level. I was so torn about which to use I showed my husband samples and reviews. It is the only time he has ever looked that thoroughly at curriculum choices. He felt there was just no comparison and gave me the go ahead to buy TOG.

Keep in mind, we had a very advanced reader and history buff (DS in 7th) to consider. I was tired of curricula that claims to meet the needs of older children by telling the parent to assign extra reading and research projects and then gives no guidelines for expectations or assessment. I could come up with those types of assignments on my own! (I'm not saying HOD does this. I honestly don't remember. I'm thinking of another history curriculum which is very popular.) I wanted more for DS and a way of holding him accountable-- which TOG does very nicely with their varied assignments and discussions.

We have been using TOG for 2 years now and it does a wonderful job of meeting the academic needs of both of my children in a way that no other curriculum has. It also (surprisingly) requires the least amount of planning and adapting because it is designed for various levels.

It's been a couple of years, so I can't really give specifics about why we thought HOD was not as rigorous. DH felt pretty strongly about it--that much I remember!

Shannon

I can't compare for the OP, but I do know that what I bolded and underlined have proven true time and again in our house. These 2 things make a h.u.g.e difference in our home school -- and not just history either.

agreeing with shannon and tina

I was tired of curricula that claims to meet the needs of older children by telling the parent to assign extra reading and research projects and then gives no guidelines for expectations or assessment.

that's why I'm thankful the program I use does the guidelines and expectations in the manual for those things, and offers lesson plans for the older student, and even provides specific reading suggestions for jr. high. and in several cases, even gives specific student examples in the manual for a report or writing from outline. I love those examples at those levels as a guideline for assessment and expectation.

some times it isn't always done down the nitty gritty detail of "start your project today", but I like that because it gives flexibility to let the student take responsibility along with my help to get that done. But I don't have to find assignments or books, the program gives it to me.

but since I don't use tog of hod.... I should not post on this thread. but just saying that if either HOD or TOG offers that kind of help, then it's a very good thing to have as a parent and jr. high and high schooler because I need that stuff and it's in the stuff I use even if it isn't the subject of the thread .

breakfast is ready says my dh...

-crystal

I can't compare HOD with TOG. I was thinking as I read shanvan's opinion, though, that a couple years ago there wasn't even a program available through HOD for 7th grade. Was there? Which program did you look at shanvan? It might be helpful to others to know what was really being compared. Thanks!:)

I can't compare HOD with TOG. I was thinking as I read shanvan's opinion, though, that a couple years ago there wasn't even a program available through HOD for 7th grade. Was there? Which program did you look at shanvan? It might be helpful to others to know what was really being compared. Thanks!:)

I can't remember all the names of the HOD levels. After I decide not to use something most of it just fades out of my memory. :lol: That's why I didn't post which HOD I looked at---also why I was hesitant to post.

I looked at several different HOD options -- looking for something that I could adapt to suit both DC, probably whatever the highest level was at the time. Then I also looked at the possibility of using two different HOD programs. I looked at so many options I just can't remember it all. My DS was doing 7th grade level work, but he was only 10 or 11 at the time.

Shannon

Edited by shanvan

My top two options for this year were HOD and TOG. After several months of comparing, I choose HOD for several reasons. The main reason is Bible is integrated in almost every subject. Second, it is not as history-heavy as TOG. My dd and I are not history people; we prefer more science time! As far as independence, I think you can make either as independent as your dc can handle. In BHFHG, I am supposed to be reading all the material to my dd, but I just give her the book and say, "Read pgs. x-y." I like that most subjects are tied together in some way (in this guide, anyway) and are constantly reinforcing one another.

I hope someone who has used both programs chimes in soon!

If she was considering Preparing it has extensions for up to 6th grade. It would have been deemed appropriate for her 10-11 year old based on the placement chart.

I tried HOD at the beginning of this year - using RTR (for my 5th and 7th graders), BHFHG (3rd grader) and LHFHG (1st grader). I tried it b/c I liked the idea that each of my children would be getting instruction appropriate to their level. I also liked that Bible/character training was interwoven. After only a few weeks we switched to TOG.

Here are my thoughts on why we switched:

-it was harder to keep up with the kids in three different levels and times of history, even though the older level is mostly independent - the teacher is required to do some things

-I really liked BHFHG - I thought it was great for my third grader...actually I think I preferred it over the LG in TOG...I liked the copywork, poetry, read alouds, mapwork, crafts/art work all scheduled out in bite-sized chunks. No planning for me!

-RTR was not a big hit for me or my boys. They did not like the crafts, which took up too much time in their opinion (esp. my older son). I did not like that there was very little to do with the reading that they were required to do (the books they were reading were great by the way). I prefer TOG which has the thinking and accountability questions and laid out discussion lectures/teachers' notes for me. In RTR, the notebooking

In addition, what worked for my 3rd grader - the bite-sized chunks of different activities - did not work for my sons. My oldest esp. did not like so many little pieces to have to do each day. TOG is working for us b/c he is given reading, mapping, and questions at the beginning of the week that he arranges on his own schedule.

I also prefer TOG b/c my 9th grader is folded in with my other kids. When we were doing HOD, I had her doing her own thing for history.

In short - I think HOD would have worked for us with my youngest kids and possibly my 5th grader, but given that we have children at so many levels and that it didn't work as well for my older kids (both in meeting my expectations and their personalities), we found TOG to be a better fit.

Sorry this is so long, hopefully something in this long-winded post will help your decision-making!

I tried HOD at the beginning of this year - using RTR (for my 5th and 7th graders), BHFHG (3rd grader) and LHFHG (1st grader). I tried it b/c I liked the idea that each of my children would be getting instruction appropriate to their level. I also liked that Bible/character training was interwoven. After only a few weeks we switched to TOG.

Here are my thoughts on why we switched:

-it was harder to keep up with the kids in three different levels and times of history, even though the older level is mostly independent - the teacher is required to do some things

-I really liked BHFHG - I thought it was great for my third grader...actually I think I preferred it over the LG in TOG...I liked the copywork, poetry, read alouds, mapwork, crafts/art work all scheduled out in bite-sized chunks. No planning for me!

-RTR was not a big hit for me or my boys. They did not like the crafts, which took up too much time in their opinion (esp. my older son). I did not like that there was very little to do with the reading that they were required to do (the books they were reading were great by the way). I prefer TOG which has the thinking and accountability questions and laid out discussion lectures/teachers' notes for me. In RTR, the notebooking

In addition, what worked for my 3rd grader - the bite-sized chunks of different activities - did not work for my sons. My oldest esp. did not like so many little pieces to have to do each day. TOG is working for us b/c he is given reading, mapping, and questions at the beginning of the week that he arranges on his own schedule.

I also prefer TOG b/c my 9th grader is folded in with my other kids. When we were doing HOD, I had her doing her own thing for history.

In short - I think HOD would have worked for us with my youngest kids and possibly my 5th grader, but given that we have children at so many levels and that it didn't work as well for my older kids (both in meeting my expectations and their personalities), we found TOG to be a better fit.

Sorry this is so long, hopefully something in this long-winded post will help your decision-making!

Sandra, this is very helpful. Thank you! I have a few questions:

1. You said you preferred BHFHG over the LG in TOG. Can you pls. elaborate on why? I will have a 1st grader next year and her sister is 3 yrs younger. I'm trying to figure out if TOG would make sense next year or if I should stick with HOD and consider TOG down the road when I want more of the thinking and accountability questions you were mentioning, and the teacher notes. What are the strengths and weaknesses of LG? (Maybe I should create a separate post on this!)

2. What RTR crafts did they not like? Is this the one with the painting every week?

3. You said in RTR there was very little to do with the reading they were doing, even though you like the books. One of the pulls for me is the HOD selection of books. But I have been wondering how much thinking type questions go along with them. Can you pls. elaborate a little on your experience?

4. You started to say "In RTR, the notebooking" and it got cut off. What were you planning to write?

5. Overall, do you feel HOD is a good fit at the lower levels and TOG for the higher levels?

Thanks!

Kathy

1. You said you preferred BHFHG over the LG in TOG. Can you pls. elaborate on why? I will have a 1st grader next year and her sister is 3 yrs younger. I'm trying to figure out if TOG would make sense next year or if I should stick with HOD and consider TOG down the road when I want more of the thinking and accountability questions you were mentioning, and the teacher notes. What are the strengths and weaknesses of LG? (Maybe I should create a separate post on this!) I'm sure you will get many helpful contributions if you do post this separately! Personally, I think that there is great benefit to doing something other than TOG when they are young - we used SL when our kids were younger and have some of our fondest memories from reading books together. I think a program that is tailored to young kids makes a lot of sense - and all the planning is done for you. I think HOD looks great - would develop a lot of skills and be enjoyable for you and your kids. That said, I know that some families prefer to start TOG when their kids are young so that they can self-educate with a higher level as the kids go through LG.

2. What RTR crafts did they not like? Is this the one with the painting every week? We only did a few of the weeks - and they just felt that the crafts took more time than was worth it for what they learned. My oldest has a full schedule and felt that his time was better spent doing other things. CTC is the one with painting. RTR has varied crafts that relate to the history lesson. Perhaps a more crafts-oriented kid would enjoy it more.

3. You said in RTR there was very little to do with the reading they were doing, even though you like the books. One of the pulls for me is the HOD selection of books. But I have been wondering how much thinking type questions go along with them. Can you pls. elaborate a little on your experience? They do have assignments that go with the reading - mostly narrations. I remember there were also things they wanted the kids to listen for (ex. a conflict or something like that). I think the lower levels were fine. If you want a literature program, Drawn into the Heart of Reading looks good.

4. You started to say "In RTR, the notebooking" and it got cut off. What were you planning to write? Sorry! The main thing is that the notebook - though beautiful - was not a good fit for us.

5. Overall, do you feel HOD is a good fit at the lower levels and TOG for the higher levels? I do feel that way. I prefer a more lit-based program in the lower grades - something fun and, importantly, without the hassle of too much planning! (HOD, SL, WP, BF or MFW are some examples). We are finding our way with TOG, though. I think the longer I use it for the early years, I am discovering more of its strengths for our family. One I can think of is that it introduces the same topics that the students will encounter again. It also has a lot of hands-on projects, maps, and lapbooks to choose from. Finally, my youngers love studying the same topics her older sibs are studying. It's just different from what we've used in the past - so I'm having the harder time adjusting - my kids are fine. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Kathy

Kathy - hope this helps. These are tough decisions and sometimes only made after trying the different curricula for yourselves. Please keep in mind that I only used HOD for a short time. We felt pretty soon after we started that it wasn't right for us. Let me know if I can answer any more questions, feel free to pm me if you'd like.

Blessings!

Just for your reference, the LG TOG includes living books for history (interesting reads with wonderful photography); literature that can usually be accomplished in 1-2 sessions of snuggle time AND since there is an "alternative" list, you can easily read several books for literature; family read aloud; the church history is regularly filled with missionary bios; the fine arts/literature recs. very often are much more than just activities, but are books with learning AND activities; video suggestions; language arts ideas and worksheets for easy comprehension; maps for geography or books to learn terms; and since you have older levels available in front of you, it is Easy to pick a chapter book from LG or D (as you find appropriate) and increase your read alouds together. TOG is a book heavy program, if you decide to make it that way (some choose to keep it light).

I wanted a "biography" focus this year, so using the Famous People Section that is included for every level, every week, I made a bio list and added biographical reading (and paper writing) to TOG so we could spend the year in focus.

TOG can easily be whatever type of program you want as a teacher and meet the needs of many learning styles. The teacher's notes do an amazing job of bringing in a spiritual perspective that my family chooses to pursue and the church history and bio reading selections bring about opportunities for character building.

All that to say, I don't see what SL has, so far as humanities, that TOG doesn't, or HOD for that matter....what am I missing?

Just for your reference, the LG TOG includes living books for history (interesting reads with wonderful photography); literature that can usually be accomplished in 1-2 sessions of snuggle time AND since there is an "alternative" list, you can easily read several books for literature; family read aloud; the church history is regularly filled with missionary bios; the fine arts/literature recs. very often are much more than just activities, but are books with learning AND activities; video suggestions; language arts ideas and worksheets for easy comprehension; maps for geography or books to learn terms; and since you have older levels available in front of you, it is Easy to pick a chapter book from LG or D (as you find appropriate) and increase your read alouds together. TOG is a book heavy program, if you decide to make it that way (some choose to keep it light).

I wanted a "biography" focus this year, so using the Famous People Section that is included for every level, every week, I made a bio list and added biographical reading (and paper writing) to TOG so we could spend the year in focus.

TOG can easily be whatever type of program you want as a teacher and meet the needs of many learning styles. The teacher's notes do an amazing job of bringing in a spiritual perspective that my family chooses to pursue and the church history and bio reading selections bring about opportunities for character building.

All that to say, I don't see what SL has, so far as humanities, that TOG doesn't, or HOD for that matter....what am I missing?

Hi Tina, thanks for your reply. I have printed and read the TOG start guide you linked to in another post and found it very helpful! Thank you! I wish I had read it first before everything else I looked at last summer and recently (the videos, the samples, etc.), because it really does explain the setup and structure very well. I feel like I am finally getting a handle on it somewhat. I have a few questions for you:

1. One thing I am trying to figure out is if LG has readers like SL and HOD do (for the child to read). Or is all the literature meant to be read-alouds? Are we to provide a separate reading program at this level? What about UG?

2. In the three week Egypt sample I printed, I understand the reading and writing assignments, but I am unclear on everything else. The overview and the student activity pages seem to have different things listed, but there are checkboxes for both, as well as for the threads, which seem to be different as well. I looked at the sample daily schedule they provided, and I'm confused as to where to actually pull the assignments from if I were creating that daily schedule myself. There is enough difference between the items listed in the SAP, the overview, and the threads to have me confused. This is for LG only.

3. I did not see a list of definitions anywhere for things like the various landforms or all the vocabulary words. Is this the case or did I miss it? If so, it seems like a bit of a time zapper for me to have to find all this before school or to have to do it together with my dd for 1st grade. This is one area where having that info. spelled out would be very helpful for me as the teacher.

4. One thing that is making me hesitate on TOG vs. HOD or SL is that HOD and SL provide scripture memorization with a CD. I think that is very valuable with young children. I get the feeling that scripture memorization and daily bible reading are not included in TOG LG? Or am I missing that?

Thanks for your help!

Kathy

Kathy - hope this helps. These are tough decisions and sometimes only made after trying the different curricula for yourselves. Please keep in mind that I only used HOD for a short time. We felt pretty soon after we started that it wasn't right for us. Let me know if I can answer any more questions, feel free to pm me if you'd like.

Blessings!

Sandra, thank you! Your reply was very helpful! I know there are others in the same boat as me who appreciate your insights. I appreciate your sharing how you are starting to see the benefits of TOG in the lower levels the more you use it. I am off to start that thread on LG! :001_smile: Kathy

Hi Tina, thanks for your reply. I have printed and read the TOG start guide you linked to in another post and found it very helpful! Thank you! I wish I had read it first before everything else I looked at last summer and recently (the videos, the samples, etc.), because it really does explain the setup and structure very well. I feel like I am finally getting a handle on it somewhat. I have a few questions for you:

1. One thing I am trying to figure out is if LG has readers like SL and HOD do (for the child to read). Or is all the literature meant to be read-alouds? Are we to provide a separate reading program at this level? What about UG?The lit. is meant to be a read aloud; however, I have found it is very easy to pick the Scholastic "level" readers that coincide to use as readers. For example, this year we focused on Biographies to coincide with the Famous People section. I spent a few hours on Amazon just to pick out Step into Reading and Ready for Reading books. You know how they have the "People who bought this book also purchased this" on the bottom? That feature made the selection really easy. I generated a booklist for Bios and Science. Here's a sample (the lonely number is the Level of reader):

Ben Franklin and His First Kite

(ISBN)

Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares

Betsy Ross and the Silver Thimble

Billy and the Rebel based on a true civil war story

Christopher Columbus

What Columbus Found: IT Was Orange, It Was Round

068986762X

At times, I have recorded the books, ordered books on tape or had older siblings read aloud the lit. in the interest of teaching one child and using time wisely. These books are also very popular with libraries, so I really didn't have to buy any of them.

2. In the three week Egypt sample I printed, I understand the reading and writing assignments, but I am unclear on everything else. The overview and the student activity pages seem to have different things listed, but there are checkboxes for both, The activities come from the booklist suggestion, For example, Year 1, week 1 suggests, Old Testament Day (an Activity Guide), so the overview says, "Make a paddle doll." the paddle doll instructions will be in the book, Old Testament Day. as well as for the threads, which seem to be different as well. The History Core book, Egyptians, by Stephanie

Turnbull, will fulfill the threads. Think of Threads as "weekly objectives". I looked at the sample daily schedule they provided, and I'm confused as to where to actually pull the assignments from if I were creating that daily schedule myself. You take the book selections and simply fill in the pages. For example, say you decide to read the core on Mondays and the literature on Tuesdays. The booklist gives you the books and page numbers for multi-week books, you just plug them into the daily assignment pages you use as your schedule. There is enough difference between the items listed in the SAP all the items on the SAP are simply transferred information from the books (cores, lit., activity,. etc), as well as the assignments that pertain to Geography like "make a salt map" (recipe provided in the Loom) or color the map (provided via Map Aids), the overview, and the threads to have me confused. This is for LG only.

3. I did not see a list of definitions anywhere for things like the various landforms or all the vocabulary words. Is this the case or did I miss it? On the Loom, a list of vocabulary and famous people definitions are provided. As a bonus, most of all TOG vocab, some of the Famous People, and even some of the timeline info. has been uploaded to Quizlet, too, so you can offer games as practice. If so, it seems like a bit of a time zapper for me to have to find all this before school or to have to do it together with my dd for 1st grade. This is one area where having that info. spelled out would be very helpful for me as the teacher.

4. One thing that is making me hesitate on TOG vs. HOD or SL is that HOD and SL provide scripture memorization with a CD. I think that is very valuable with young children. I get the feeling that scripture memorization and daily bible reading are not included in TOG LG? Or am I missing that? There is no memorization CD, but it would not at all be hard to pull scripture. TOG Teacher Notes refer to biblical content so regularly and often assign activities that lend themselves nicely to scripture. For example, over the next few weeks, we're studying Andrew Carnegie. One of the assignments is to look up scripture about wealth and poverty. We're going to memorize a few. It's easy to coordinate as the teacher. I admit, I do have a separate Bible Memorization time in my school, but I made this a 10 min. planning job by looking up specific topics. In other words, I chose scriptures on poverty as our memorization for the entire year. I did a search on Swagbucks, found a list online, copy, cut, paste and viola! We have bible memory work for the year in less than 10 min. I appreciate the ease of a CD, but for me, using a tape recorder will do the same job.

Thanks for your help!

Kathy

Keep the questions coming! I think I'll have to put your ?? on my blog!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

4. One thing that is making me hesitate on TOG vs. HOD or SL is that HOD and SL provide scripture memorization with a CD. I think that is very valuable with young children. I get the feeling that scripture memorization and daily bible reading are not included in TOG LG? Or am I missing that?

Remember, you can always add in your favorite books or other aspects from HOD or SL if you feel they aren't to be missed. The scripture memorization cd, for example. I at one time owned all the HOD guides from LHTH through Preparing as well as many of the books, but I decided I didn't want everyone in their own guide and so I got rid of all the Teacher's manuals, but I kept most of the books, as I love them. I plan on adding the books in the appropriate spots as we go through TOG. CHOW, American Pioneers and Patriots, these are just a couple of the books I kept and will coordinate with TOG. There's also a list somewhere of SL books coordinated with SOTW, which would be helpful in seeing which books you could use with which TOG years.

Thank you for your replies! A few more questions:

1. Is there daily bible reading at any level? How does bible reading occur in LG?

2. Just to clarify with TIna, for LG, are you supposed to be working off both the overview checkboxes and the SAP boxes? I understood your explanation, but I am finding different things listed between the two, thus my confusion on how to develop the assignments for those things, particularly the geography/cultural type questions. The overview seems to have different/extra things listed than the SAP. I did not see those different overview items listed on the sample daily schedule.

3. How do you handle the thread items? Do you read the history book and then go back through them and make sure they got covered? Do you go over them at the end of the week and mention anything that hasn't been covered? It just seems like a lot of things to keep track of for LG, the thread checkboxes, the overview checkboxes, and the SAP checkboxes.

4. Do you know if TOG has any plans whatsoever to offer daily schedules for those of us who would very much like them and don't want to be customizing so much at this point? I just don't need the buffet yet. I need pick up and go for awhile longer. I really like the background info. that TOG provides and the discussion questions for the upper levels. But I really wish for at least the LG level there was the option of daily schedules so we could more easily get our feet wet. At the very least I'd appreciate a weekly schedule that had everything in one place, not a separate reading schedule, writing schedule, and then the checkboxes on the overview, threads, and SAP pages. I could manage even a weekly schedule if it was all there together in one grid. I just don't think LG needs to be so complicated, KWIM?

Thanks!

Kathy

Remember, you can always add in your favorite books or other aspects from HOD or SL if you feel they aren't to be missed. The scripture memorization cd, for example. I at one time owned all the HOD guides from LHTH through Preparing as well as many of the books, but I decided I didn't want everyone in their own guide and so I got rid of all the Teacher's manuals, but I kept most of the books, as I love them. I plan on adding the books in the appropriate spots as we go through TOG. CHOW, American Pioneers and Patriots, these are just a couple of the books I kept and will coordinate with TOG. There's also a list somewhere of SL books coordinated with SOTW, which would be helpful in seeing which books you could use with which TOG years.

:iagree:I have CHOW and SL CORE 3. I am uing those books with TOG. :) Also using my SOTW with AG's and MOH.

Thank you for your replies! A few more questions:

1. Is there daily bible reading at any level? How does bible reading occur in LG? I'm thinking most of Level 1 does b/c of content. There is no scheduled bible course or daily reading as an elective, if you will. In other words, we use a different devotional daily, but when we studied Ancients it was so rich with bible that we did not.

2. Just to clarify with TIna, for LG, are you supposed to be working off both the overview checkboxes and the SAP boxes? The overview is for you and the SAP is for the student. The SAP should be more detailed. If you have the books in front of you, the SAP would come to life. My week consists of me reading the overview one time and never looking at it again; reading the SAP, highlighting the ones we want to do (rarely if ever do them all) and using it as my "lesson plan" for the week. I understood your explanation, but I am finding different things listed between the two, thus my confusion on how to develop the assignments for those things, particularly the geography/cultural type questions. The overview seems to have different/extra things listed than the SAP. I did not see those different overview items listed on the sample daily schedule. That information is probably in the reading assignments.

3. How do you handle the thread items? Do you read the history book and then go back through them and make sure they got covered? Do you go over them at the end of the week and mention anything that hasn't been covered? It just seems like a lot of things to keep track of for LG, the thread checkboxes, the overview checkboxes, and the SAP checkboxes. Step away from the checkboxes! :lol: I also read the thread once and never look back. The purpose of overview is "general idea introduction" and the purpose of the threads is "general connections" The books assigned will fulfill the requirements. If you do activities on the SAP and read the books, the thread and overview will be met. You're overcomplicating :tongue_smilie:

4. Do you know if TOG has any plans whatsoever to offer daily schedules for those of us who would very much like them and don't want to be customizing so much at this point? I just don't need the buffet yet. I need pick up and go for awhile longer. I really like the background info. that TOG provides and the discussion questions for the upper levels. But I really wish for at least the LG level there was the option of daily schedules so we could more easily get our feet wet. At the very least I'd appreciate a weekly schedule that had everything in one place, not a separate reading schedule, writing schedule, and then the checkboxes on the overview, threads, and SAP pages. I could manage even a weekly schedule if it was all there together in one grid. I just don't think LG needs to be so complicated, KWIM?

Thanks!

Kathy

You're overcomplicating the process, Momma. They won't offer a schedule b/c they are all about flexibility and trying to inspire you to use TOG as it best suits you. Here's a schedule:

Monday: read history core; review vocabulary list (even create an activity for vocab like a picture dictionary or flashcards)

Tuesday: Geography (as in SAP); finish any core reading; start literature read aloud

Wed. Finish all reading; complete literature worksheet; start Writing Aids assignment

Thursday: Activities you choose from SAP (you won't do them all)

Friday: Finish up for the week; play a game to "test" Geography and Vocab.

Seriously, it's that simple. You design your daily schedule so it suits you. Yours may look a little different than the one above. Then you grab the Student Assignment page (that you have highlighted w/ the activities you want) and do whatever is the "Subject of the Day."

I don't spend more than 5 minutes on LG planning....ever....and have you read my blog? Look at all they learn and retain. Here's what you can do once you have TOG and the books (order 2 weeks in advance from library--3 minutes online)

Grab the books for the week, grab the TOG binder. Read the threads and overview. Flip through the activity book and note any supplies you need. Choose a couple of the activities from the SAP. Print out your map (you really should print these ahead of time...think summer planning). Done.

Since you have designed your "how we use TOG schedule" like the one above, you plug in the days. It's like taking a refrigerator magnet and matching colors. Vocab is monday: open and go by picking up your binder and pulling out the vocab list then using it along with fotosearch.com to give a visual clue to the dc. Ya'll gather around the puter for 10 min. and vocab is done. They'll get lots of reminders during their core reading time.

Tues comes along and you pull out your binder. You finished the Core reading yesterday, so today, you're going to locate the geography as schedule in the overview pages. You talk about what you read yesterday as you mark the Fertile Crescent on the map. You start the literature reading sometime today.

Wed.

You talk about the literature reading for a minute, then do the worksheet that you pulled from your binder. You flip to the Writing Aids page and follow instructions to make your word bank this week.

Thurs. Hands on activities for a bit.

Fri. Finish the hands on activities read aloud the narration (or have them read as able) from the history core and have them "explain" their activity. Week is done.

It really is as simple as designing your daily routine and plugging in the books and maps. Really. Finish your reading, do a narration, coloring page, outline, etc as appropriate for your dc. If you can take a number of pages and divide it by two days, you can do it :) You'll find everything is labeled with Elective and Week. You can't miss them.

I just don't think LG needs to be so complicated

It doesn't. :001_smile: I'm about to start Year 1 LG, and we're basically just going to read the books each week and do some of the art, SAP's and mapwork as I see fit. I'll read over the overview and thread pages, but I'm not going to stress out over did we go over every single little thing. If anything, if there's something I feel is very important that didn't come up during our reading, I'll probably mention it, but again, I'll be keeping it simple for LG.

A daily schedule sounds like a great idea, but every daily schedule I've ever tried to follow ended up restricting me instead of helping me. I much prefer a weekly schedule of get this done in this week, and leaving it up to me to decide what gets done each day.

Here's a few threads that might be of help to you:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205206&highlight=TOG+schedule

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37049&highlight=tog+schedule

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62702&highlight=tog+LG

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97051&highlight=tog+LG

You're overcomplicating the process, Momma.

Probably so, it just doesn't help that there aren't clear instructions on what to do with the threads, overview, and SAP and how to pull the assignments out. I'm all for simplicity, but as a newcomer to TOG I have been struggling to simplify what I am seeing into the actual assignments. Thank you for your breakdown, that helps. That would be helpful in the sample itself.

Vocab is monday: open and go by picking up your binder and pulling out the vocab list then using it along with fotosearch.com to give a visual clue to the dc.

Thanks, I've never heard of this site. This type of info. would be useful in the sample as well.

you're going to locate the geography as schedule in the overview pages.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought you said to use the SAP for geography. This was my problem before, because the overview and SAP are different.

You talk about the literature reading for a minute, then do the worksheet that you pulled from your binder.

Is this literature worksheet something on the SAP? The sample didn't have any literature activities for the week. Does LG have literature worksheets?

Thanks, Kathy

We are using CTC and Beyond and really love HOD. I have not used TOG, but it was one that I considered before going with HOD. I can't really remember why - I am pretty sure TOG looked too complicated with me and I was very happy to be able to seperate my kids into their own guides since they are so far apart in age. We are blessed each day with HOD! I know it is not for everyone, but it has been amazing for us.

The one thing I would ask that you do is prayerfully consider each one. God very much led us to HOD - He even led us BACK to HOD for my older son after I tried him in a guide last year that was MUCH too young for him and had to switch.

Probably so, it just doesn't help that there aren't clear instructions on what to do with the threads, overview, and SAP and how to pull the assignments out. I'm all for simplicity, but as a newcomer to TOG I have been struggling to simplify what I am seeing into the actual assignments. I completely understand!! I think you're brave for trying it! You've gotten some great help here - I've appreciated reading the posts about LG, too. I think if you do decide to go with TOG, you'll just have to jump in and just try different things. Because you're doing the planning, it takes a while to figure out what you want to cover each week, how much time it takes, and when you want to do it. It does take a while to get it all together.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought you said to use the SAP for geography. This was my problem before, because the overview and SAP are different.I use the SAP sheets for geography. Honestly, I have brain overload when I try to use the overview pages. I just use them for the vocab and famous people (and timeline, if we did that which we don't at this point) - everything else I get from the SAP sheets.

Is this literature worksheet something on the SAP? The sample didn't have any literature activities for the week. Does LG have literature worksheets?

Yes, there are lit worksheets for LG, UG, and D in the SAP. There really aren't any activities - just read the book and do a worksheet. Only when you get to the R level are there discussion guidelines. I personally choose to add to the lit - we do different books with lit guides, as well as Reading Detective - though the kids do read all the TOG lit. We do the TOG lit worksheet sometimes - the LG can have things like - write synonyms for vocab words in the book, solve for codes, and put events in order. They get more involved in the UG - like describe characters, write summaries of chapters, and true/false comprehension questions.

Edited by sandra in va

[/color][/color]

Probably so, it just doesn't help that there aren't clear instructions on what to do with the threads, overview, and SAP and how to pull the assignments out. I'm all for simplicity, but as a newcomer to TOG I have been struggling to simplify what I am seeing into the actual assignments. Thank you for your breakdown, that helps. That would be helpful in the sample itself.

They are meant to be read, but not used...if that makes sense.

Thanks, I've never heard of this site. This type of info. would be useful in the sample as well.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought you said to use the SAP for geography. This was my problem before, because the overview and SAP are different.

Sorry for confusing you. The objectives as listed on the overview are fulfilled as each child is assigned x, y, and z in the student assignment pages. The maps provided in Map Aids have what you need (teacher's keys, too).

Thanks, Kathy

Probably so, it just doesn't help that there aren't clear instructions on what to do with the threads, overview, and SAP and how to pull the assignments out. I'm all for simplicity, but as a newcomer to TOG I have been struggling to simplify what I am seeing into the actual assignments. I completely understand!! I think you're brave for trying it! You've gotten some great help here - I've appreciated reading the posts about LG, too. I think if you do decide to go with TOG, you'll just have to jump in and just try different things. Because you're doing the planning, it takes a while to figure out what you want to cover each week, how much time it takes, and when you want to do it. It does take a while to get it all together.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought you said to use the SAP for geography. This was my problem before, because the overview and SAP are different.I use the SAP sheets for geography. Honestly, I have brain overload when I try to use the overview pages. I just use them for the vocab and famous people (and timeline, if we did that which we don't at this point) - everything else I get from the SAP sheets.

Yes, there are lit worksheets for LG, UG, and D in the SAP. There really aren't any activities - just read the book and do a worksheet. Only when you get to the R level are there discussion guidelines. I personally choose to add to the lit - we do different books with lit guides, as well as Reading Detective - though the kids do read all the TOG lit. We do the TOG lit worksheet sometimes - the LG can have things like - write synonyms for vocab words in the book, solve for codes, and put events in order. They get more involved in the UG - like describe characters, write summaries of chapters, and true/false comprehension questions.

The teacher's notes also include areas to teach or lecture for D lecture, too.

Thanks for clarifying things, Sandra. This helps! Kathy