Menu

SOTW pdf downloads - yay or nay?

JoyfulMama

I have SOTW 4 on my shopping list for next year. Pondering the pdf download of the activity guide. (Yes, I know the coloring pages are an add-on.) I currently photocopy pages for multiple children, so I was thinking being able to print might be easier than photocopying (ink would be the same there). I was also thinking I would be able to print each chapter separately, making it easier to clip each chapter separately (activity guide pages, maps, coloring pages).

Looking for BTDT, and have you regretted your decision to buy just the pdf versions?

Edited by JoyfulMama

I have SOTW 4 on my shopping list for next year. Pondering the pdf download of the activity guide. (Yes, I know the coloring pages are an add-on.) I currently photocopy pages for multiple children, so I was thinking being able to print might be easier than photocopying (ink would be the same there). I was also thinking I would be able to print each chapter separately, making it easier to clip each chapter separately (activity guide pages, maps, coloring pages).

Looking for BTDT, and have you regretted your decision to buy just the pdf versions?

Great idea! I've often wanted the maps, coloring pages, activities, questions and narrations for each chapter together.

Kelly

The biggest downside I've heard is you can't resell, which is important to those who get their next year's curriculum budget by selling this year's. And you'd want to back it up in case your computer crashes, but audio mp3s I've bought from php allow five downloads so that's nice--I'm guessing pdfs would also be five times as well.

It's so nice though having the pages print out nicely and to not pay shipping.

Bought the PDF for the AG and love it. It was so easy to just print the pages I wanted without having to deal with photocopying from a book. I just said print from this page to this page and the printer did everything else :). I do not resell our homeschool materials so that part was not a concern for me.

I managed to get all 4 AGs in print version used for super cheap, so I just bought the PDF version of the student pages, which was inexpensive (around $9, I think?). I really like being able to print stuff vs copying. Copying would mean going out to the garage (separate building from the house) to my DH's office and using his copier/printer combo. And it's winter, so I'd rather not have to go outside. :lol:

I do like having the print version to hold in my hands and flip through, though it'd also be nice to be able to print out the narration questions for the week and have them in one spot instead of grabbing the whole book. So I could really go either way. I think I was originally planning to just get the PDF version of the whole AG, but someone local had listed all 4 for such a good price that I had to snag them!

I managed to get all 4 AGs in print version used for super cheap, so I just bought the PDF version of the student pages, which was inexpensive (around $9, I think?). I really like being able to print stuff vs copying. Copying would mean going out to the garage (separate building from the house) to my DH's office and using his copier/printer combo. And it's winter, so I'd rather not have to go outside. :lol:

I do like having the print version to hold in my hands and flip through, though it'd also be nice to be able to print out the narration questions for the week and have them in one spot instead of grabbing the whole book. So I could really go either way. I think I was originally planning to just get the PDF version of the whole AG, but someone local had listed all 4 for such a good price that I had to snag them!

This is what I do too. It's so nice to have the book in hand when I'm browsing, but awesome to be able to print the student pages without dealing with copying. It's a big book and a little awkward to lay flat on the copy machine. Plus it saves a ton of time - I can just open the pdf when I need it and click print. ;)

I was also thinking I would be able to print each chapter separately, making it easier to clip each chapter separately (activity guide pages, maps, coloring pages).

I do this by getting the binding cut off the book & put it in my own binder in my own order, which pretty much takes an entire day. A pdf would be much easier! But printing the entire AG would take a ton of paper/ink, so might not be worth it unless it's a lot cheaper than the hard copy.

I like having the print version of the activity guide to look through but I did order the pdf student pages so I can print out what I need for two kids. I find trying to copy from books annoying since my printer is on a shelf over the top of my computer and I have to stand on the bed and lean over to reach the flatbed on top.

I have the Activity Guide (for me) and the PDF's. I don't regret it one bit!

We are in a CO-OP using SOTW, I chose to do the pdf for my daughter, and it worked out great. I had no problems, I could print off when i was ready to use each segment. It was nice because the pages dont get bent and messed up. We can use it as we need it. i thought it was great. nancyt.:iagree:

The biggest downside I've heard is you can't resell, which is important to those who get their next year's curriculum budget by selling this year's. And you'd want to back it up in case your computer crashes, but audio mp3s I've bought from php allow five downloads so that's nice--I'm guessing pdfs would also be five times as well.

Yes, I realize they won't be resellable. I'm not worried about that, honestly, since I plan to use it again for another cycle yet. Besides, I write in them so much (library codes, own book, alternative books) I don't figure anyone usually wants them. I get my money's worth, definately. :D

I figured it would be best to back them up immediately. Actually I think that might be safer than buying the paper version. Youngest dd just spilled a bottle of water all over her phonics books last week.

I figured it would be best to back them up immediately. Actually I think that might be safer than buying the paper version. Youngest dd just spilled a bottle of water all over her phonics books last week.

The online store gives you 5 downloads - so if you loose your first one, you have 4 more chances to download it again. The multiple downloads are handy if you have more than one computer. (Although to be safe, I did backup mine on a CD....just in case;))

The online store gives you 5 downloads - so if you loose your first one, you have 4 more chances to download it again. The multiple downloads are handy if you have more than one computer. (Although to be safe, I did backup mine on a CD....just in case;))

I also upload stuff to Google Docs (private, not shared!) as an off-site backup. :)

I considered this but it was cheaper to purchase the AG in print from Amazon than the PDF so I did that instead. I then purchased the student pages in PDF so I could easily print multiples and avoid copying. For me, it has been the best of both worlds. Though if I was content to read the activities portion from the computer I likely would have gone PDF for all of it, which is certainly a more environmentally friendly option.

Same here. Things are safer on my hard drive (and smaller). I email the documents to myself, and I'm currently copying them to the backup space I get with my web hosting.