Menu

I think I've had 2 TIAs

I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biTEGZnSofs on the Today show this morning. I have had this happen twice in my life, once while pregnant with my 5 year old and the second time (much worse) when I was pregnant with my 1 year old. I believe that they were Transient Ischemic Attacks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack . When I had the second one, my hand was on the phone to call 911 when the attack suddenly stopped. After it was over, everything was perfectly normal so I never called my doctor (I convinced myself it wasn't that bad, that I had just pinched a nerve or something).

So what do I do now? It has been almost 2 years since it happened. I have only had issue while pregnant. I feel like I should do something with this new information but it seems odd (and expensive) to bring it to my doctors attention now.

I can't watch the video as I'm not on a computer which can handle video; so, I don't know what the video showed. The signs/symptoms of a TIA and a CVA are generally identical. In fact, the only difference between the two is that with a TIA the symptoms resolve themselves without any lingering neurological effects. Also, neurological symptoms associated with a TIA don't suddenly diminish. I use suddenly as under 5 minutes or so. Usually the signs/symptoms of TIA resolve themselves between 30 minutes and 24 hours.

So, if you had any neurological symptoms (one sided weakness, droopy mouth/face on one side, extreme HA [although this tends to be indicative of a hemorrhagic stroke and these don't resolve themselves], slurred speech, etc) and these resolved themselves then you might have had a TIA. And Mejane is right -- TIAs are precursors to CVAs (strokes) and you should talk to your doctor.