Menu

Pencil sharpener help

For some reason in our house we have always had issues with pencil sharpeners. They NEVER work. They break after a day. I don't want to mount an old fashioned one on the wall.

My kids have decided they are tired of mechanical pencils so I'm back on the hunt for a reliable pencil sharpener.

Discuss.

:lurk5:

Pencil sharpeners. My bane.

After years of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth over electric sharpeners that do not, we settled on this model and love. it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&rlz=1I7HPID_en&q=x+acto+pencil+sharpeners+manual&wrapid=tlif129774092872310&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2498041715147667579&ei=hfRZTbmJLsTYgAeT1JDKDA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CEIQ8wIwBg#

We've also had the best luck with Paper Mate brand pencils. Even better than Ticonderoga, much to my dismay, because I love the name "Ticonderoga."

After going through more electric pencil sharpeners that I'm comfortable admitting, I finally decided to go manual.

This little jewel, made in Germany, has been very good to us. :001_smile: I bought one for each of my kids. The only problem? My kids have a tendency to misplace/lose things. We are down to one of them, but I have hopes that the other two will turn up sooner or later ;).

Thanks!!

After years of hair pulling and gnashing of teeth over electric sharpeners that do not, we settled on this model and love. it.

Yeah. We broke that one too.

Oh how I'd LOVE to find one at my Goodwill!!! I'll have to scope out Office Depot this week and see what they have in-store.

Manual is fine (that's what we are using now). BUT I get really tired of the lids coming off while they are sharpening and pencil stuff going everywhere. Then they have to stop their school work and clean up the mess.

I got this one recently and even my son likes it. It feels sturdier than most handhelds, and clicks shut to avoid spills. BEST of all, it does a thin sharp on the skinny hole, and a stubbier one that my Prismacolors like on the fatter hole. I'm getting MORE.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E67Z16/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001RWTZ8S&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0J7FK8KJFQ9XZYH3MSF1

Edited by kalanamak
helps to have the link....

Oh, yeah...we broke a couple of those before I went with the one we have now.

I have this one and love it because my sons prefer the slightly larger Ticonderoga Tri-Conderoga (triangular) pencils. They aren't quite as big as the beginner pencils but are a little larger than my dd's tri-write ticonderogas which are also triangular, but the same diameter as an average pencil. We've had it for 4 years now and it works great. I also like the large shavings cup. My dd loves it so much she has a 2nd one in her room for sharpening her colored pencils (she's always drawing)

Bizarrely, we bought these from Office Depot last year, and they're the best manual sharpeners I've ever owned:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/591215/Tug-2-Hole-Manual-Pencil-Sharpener/

The covers never pop off, and I love the little rubber cover that goes over the holes. We ended up buying a bunch more not long ago, and I keep them stashed all over the house. I'd love a good electric though, I'll have to check out the recommendations from the others.