Menu

Is an ipod touch worth the $$

I've read various posts here. I've had a little envy of the iphones etc. But I can not justify paying for the data plan.

However, I was wondering, would the ipod touch be able to do some of those things?

We have a crazy schedule, I'd love to have it on hand all the time. Can you sync it from the computer?

What are some of the practical apps out there, I'm not into games. I used to have a pda, and loved that, but it kept crashing.

Convince me why it's a great thing? We don't have wifi readily available when out an about, so I'm not sure how practical it will be. Do the apps work without internet? IF it's completely tied to being online... well then it just wouldn't be worth it...

Well, I like mine! Depends what you would use it for, I guess. Of course, it's an iPod which can play both music and video. (In addition to playing music, you could, for example, rent a movie on iTunes to watch on a trip.) It works well as a PDA; you can have a calendar app that syncs with your computer. (I use iCal, which comes on an iPod Touch and Mac computer; not sure what you'd use if you have a PC.) Most of the apps I use do not require wi-fi; some do. I have games, educational apps, Weight Watchers Mobile, Audible, a Bible, etc. You can also read on the iPod Touch; many books are available.

I go to a number of places (church, coffee shops, library) that have Wi-fi regularly, so I also use Safari to browse the web on mine fairly often.

I'm now saving up for the new Verizon iPhone, so I can do all this PLUS take pictures and video, and have one device for everything.

HTH,

Wendi

I love mine, it really is just an iphone without the phone part. I can listen to my music, audiobooks, check email, send email, search the web (the last 3 if I'm in a WiFi hotspot, or at home) I also have apps that I use to make grocery lists and things of that nature. Many of the apps do not require a Wifi connection. I also have a few of our kids favorite movies on mine, because we got the digital copy when we bought them and put them in itunes on our computer, so we can now put them on any of our ipods.

I use mine a lot. There are tons of apps in the app store that are free. I play games on mine, listen to music, watch you tube, it has a calendar a note page to take notes, a voice recorder to record message for yourself, a camera, weather, maps, etc.

There is a phone app called textfree that you can make free calls and texts on. Most McDonalds have free Wi-Fi, so you can use it there when out and about. You can surf the web, get email. I have a bible app on mine that I listen to the bible each day. I have a dictionary app that we use quite frequently for school. You can download books to read and some are free, mostly the classics. There are health apps that help you count calories and exercise. There is just so much to do and so many apps that the possibilities are endless. It syncs with the computer, so the photos and music can be viewed and listened to on both.

Hope that helps some. :)

If you have mobileme you can sync your schedule from the computer. I got mine the first year they were released. It goes with me everywhere. I love, love, love it. It is the best gadget I have ever bought! Dh has gone through many pda's, but neither of our itouches have ever crashed.

Mine is worth its weight in gold. It's one of the most useful devices I've ever owned.

I use it for email, FB, tracking my runs, watching Netflix, occupying my kids in waiting room situations, listening to music, as a calendar, for making video calls, taking quick snapshots/videos, as a web browser, etc, etc, etc.

Love-love-love my iPod Touch. It goes with me everywhere (and I truly mean everywhere)!

Out & About: For starters, I have my entire address book and calendars on it. I have calendars set up for me, my DDs, DH, our weekly menu, and both German & US holidays. It is so nice to be able to check my Menu calendar while out (which can be done w/o WiFi) in case I need to stop by the market before going home! Other apps I use w/o WiFi are my Kindle book reader, a NIV Bible, Dictionary, and a ton of educational apps and games (mostly for the girls - but I love me some Angry Birds)!

Speaking of groceries, I have a great app that also works w/o WiFi for my Commissary, Exchange, and even Ikea lists! I haven't carried a paper list in years! I also have an app called Awesome Note that works w/o WiFi - that is where I keep everything from gift lists, to clothing & shoe sizes for my family, to my weight loss progress. Oh - and I am an avid knitter & keep my knitting patterns in PDF on my iPod Touch so that I don't have to carry a book or paper pattern.

At Home: It comes with a clock app that I use as a timer for laundry, timed drills in math, a kitchen timer, and my alarm clock. I added a free flashlight & use that every single night to get upstairs without turning on all of the lights & waking everyone else up (I stay up late)! I have an app from AllRecipes that lets me see my recipes while I cook (I actually use my iPad for that now - don't get me started on how great that is). I also take my iPod Touch to bed (DH has to get up very early & always goes to bed long before I do) & read the news, check FB, and send an occasional email.

Travel: Used a great Rick Steves app for Prague while we were there. It was completely available with no WiFi needed and helped us get around Prague and learn a bit as we went with zero effort. I also listen to music & podcasts as I am driving (I had to buy some sort of adaptor-thingie that lets my iPod Touch play over the radio - totally worth it IMNSHO)!

I'm sure there is more, LOL, but that should get you started!

I like mine, although it's pretty much just a toy for me at this point. (But it's my only toy!) I have an old, stupid phone. I mostly use my iPod touch to check news and email when I am away from my computer. I just got it set up to play downloaded electronic books from the library, which is kind of cool. I don't use it much to play music because I prefer borrowing CDs from the library to buying music. I find the iTunes software annoying but more or less usable. And there are lots of free apps in the app store!

I think it would be great to have an iPhone but am not yet willing to swallow those monthly fees. An iPod touch is a nice intermediate step.

The i-touch is one of the best gifts I ever received. One of the best uses I've found for it is getting to sleep when I'm traveling. There's nothing like having familiar music when you're trying to sleep in a strange place except maybe your own pillow. The alarm is useful, too, but I found out the hard way once that you have to change the time zone manually or take the difference into account when setting the alarm--at least that's true on the one I have.

The standard ear buds mask but don't cut out background sounds so I can hear the phone, people talking, or the smoke alarm. The timer, alarm, voice, and written notes all work without wi-fi. I also have a Bible, and keep several Kindle books ready to read. I occasionally use wi-fi hot spots when we're out and about, but not often. I asked dh for the cheapest version when he offered because I wasn't sure how much I'd use it, but now I'm hoping that dh will agree to take mine and buy me a newer version with a camera and more memory.

If you get one, I do recommend one of the soft gel-type covers. It will keep the back from getting scratches and IMO makes it easier/more secure to hold. If you take it out and about lot, there's something called the Otter Box that gives super protection without making it hard to use.

ETA: we access our i-tunes account through our computers

I have a 60 GB, but am only using about 20 GB currently. When we travel I usually add music & movies to fill the "extra" 40 GB.

ETA: I recommend a "combo" (my description) type case, like the iFrogz Swerve. That's what I have and I love it! Soft on the inside, then a hard shell, then a "jelly" exterior. I can not tell you how many times I have actually dropped my iPod Touch on hardwood floors (usually as I am drifting off to sleep while reading the news, LOL) and it has not one scratch!

Edited by FindingLaurie

The new iPod Touches have camera and video. My dd saved up all her allowance (months worth) and birthday money and got one on Black Friday. She said it was worth every penny she spent and some. :D If you end up getting wifi in your home, you can text using the iPod and do something called Facetime" which is like video calling. My dd LOVES that feature. I have the older one (no camera or video). My kids (even the 2yo) play games (all I have are free apps right now), I have my music on there, calendar, etc. I would LOVE to have the newer one, but now that Verizon has the iPhone I am saving up for that anyway. :D