Menu

Dog Advice

What is the best way to find a lost dog's owner? A dog showed up yesterday while my ds was out playing with kids from the neighborhood. She is very friendly and looks healthy but possibly is a little older. She has an old collar, but no tag.

It was still hanging around our cul-de-sac late last night, so my dh felt sorry for it and took it out some water and food. He knew it was going to get very cold last night, so he put a blanket down on our front porch. It stayed there all night and is still here in the cul-de-sac.

What should we do?

Call animal control - they will round her up and take her to the shelter, where she will be scanned to see if there is an I.D. microchip. Owners will be checking with the shelter (unless she was abandoned.)

You can also post flyers, too, if you like, noting that the dog was found and is at the shelter.

Call animal control - they will round her up and take her to the shelter, where she will be scanned to see if there is an I.D. microchip. Owners will be checking with the shelter (unless she was abandoned.)

You can also post flyers, too, if you like, noting that the dog was found and is at the shelter.

:iagree:

Thanks. I'm going to have to try flyers. I just called our animal shelter, and they have been shut down by the Department of Agriculture because of needed repairs. They cannot take dogs at all right now.

Our city has something like "Lost Dog Registry" that people can call when they've found or lost a dog. Wonder if yours has something similar? Google around a bit or check the phone book?

I hope you live in a warm place. That POOR older dog! Breaks my heart.

Also, call a couple of vets and see if they have suggestions about finding owners.

Good luck and thanks for caring enough to help!

Thanks for all the tips and advice. We took her to the closest vet and there's no microchip. The vet had no recommendation for a rescue shelter. We've called the pound, the police, and some vets, but no one knows of someone looking for a dog with her description. We asked around the neighborhood a little. We think she may have been a house dog because she comes right to the door. She willingly went in the car to the vet's office, too.

We found out about a rescue shelter in the town just south of us. We will call there tomorrow. Our ds had one of the biggest cries he's ever had because he wants to keep her. I am so sad that we cannot.

It is cold here, but we put a blanket at our front door. She stayed there all last night and is there again. It does get her out of any wind.