Menu

Starting Latin Later

Grace

I had never planned on doing Latin, but I now "see the light". My goal would be to do Henle in 9th grade.....so it is on the highschool transcript.

My question is what do I do now for 6-8th grade preparing for Henle?

What age is Lively Latin geared for?

Has anyone used Memoria Press Book of Roots? We have learned some roots with English from the Roots Up. Would this be a good fit?

Thanks,

Grace

My dd11 has been asking to do Spanish for some time. Since the goal w/ Latin isn't actual conversation, I've decided to start her and the other dc on Spanish now. My dh had 2 years of Latin in hs and did well with it (even w/out any background). We have Prima Latina and LC but I've been told my youngers are even a bit old for PL. We might use LC in a year or so, but I think (and this is my my own humble, non-expert, non-experienced opinion) Latin can wait until hs. Many here would disagree :)

I agree with Laura. Take a look at Latin Prep. I think someone on the old board said someone who goes through Latin Prep's 3 books would be beyond Henle. Was it Abbey?

The publisher recommends all 3 LP books then Books 3 of the older series (So You Really Want to Learn Latin) and then the student would be prepared to attack original works. (Our goal and the whole reason for chosing Galore Park's books.)

We are in Book 2 of LP and making beautiful progress. Highly recommend it.