Menu

Dough storage - Artisan bread in 5 min

I just got the book, and I'm excited to get started, but I'm stuck on the dough storage. I've pretty much banished all plastic from my kitchen, and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to buy a big plastic container to hold the dough. Has anyone found any glass or stainless options at semi reasonable prices? If not, have you seen anything promising to be BPA free?

Thanks!

How big do you need it to be? I just use a large stainless steel mixing bowl when I make bread, and it works well for me. You might already have something on hand that will work.

I think it has to be 5 or 6 quarts. The idea is to keep it in the fridge all the time, so a regular mixing bowl would take up much more space than a bucket.

Strider - Thanks! Does it have a cover of some sort, or do you lay something over the top? I might have to look for online restaurant supply places because my city isn't all that large. Off to google some more!

What about something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-3-Quart-Heritage-Glass/dp/B000M9NMEU/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297287861&sr=1-3

ETA: oops, I linked to the 3 quart version, but you can see they come in 1 and 2 gallon sizes as well.

I would hesitate on this one because of the mouth being more narrow than the body of the jar. The dough can be a bit of a pain to dig out.

Strider - Thanks! Does it have a cover of some sort, or do you lay something over the top? I might have to look for online restaurant supply places because my city isn't all that large. Off to google some more!

I bought a cover from the same source as the bucket. I don't remember who I bought my bucket from. I googled and was able to find what a I needed randomly--it was definitely a restaurant supplier. My cover actually has a little spoon-slot, but we duck-taped over it.

What about something like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking-3-Quart-Heritage-Glass/dp/B000M9NMEU/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1297287861&sr=1-3

ETA: oops, I linked to the 3 quart version, but you can see they come in 1 and 2 gallon sizes as well.

These are available at Target and Walmart, but are pretty heavy. The good thing is that the lids don't seal, so they're loose fitting enough to give some burp room for the bread.

Okay, in case you hadn't found the stainless "bucket", here's one:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/winco/bam-425/p363721.aspx

They come in many different sizes. The lid is sold separately, but it's inexpensive.

This is perfect! Thank you so much! I just wasn't coming up with the right search terms.

Thank you all for the help! :)