Menu

The Heartbeat Bill?

Being in Ohio, I have heard of it. In the November election here, Republicans won every major statewide office and won control of both the state senate and house. Laws, such as this, restricting abortion have been near the top of those proposed. This one would make abortion illegal (except in cases of medical necessity) once the baby's heartbeat is detected on an ultrasound usually in the 6 week range.

Just read about it this morning. Seems like it is something pretty controversial but I haven't seen much news about it. Has anyone else heard about it? http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/08/ohio-abortion-ban-hinges-heartbeat/#

Nope. I don't think it will pass. No one wants to be responsible for the fallout brought on by the Law of Unintended Consequences.

"Unfortunately, the Heartbeat Bill will not survive a court challenge, and therefore not save one life," Ohio Right to Life executive director Michael Gonidakis told Fox News, arguing that state courts and the Supreme Court would slap down the heartbeat cut-off in the same way they would reject a full abortion ban. "Because the Supreme Court, unfortunately, has ruled on countless occasions that any restrictions on abortion pre-viability are unconstitutional," he says.

Gonidakis instead supports a late-term abortion ban that has passed the state House and is slated to be introduced in the Ohio Senate Wednesday. As for the Heartbeat Bill, Wachtmann's office says there has also been talk of introducing a companion bill in the Senate, and is optimistic that it, too, will move to the upper chamber for consideration.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/08/ohio-abortion-ban-hinges-heartbeat/#ixzz1DPeAWZgr

The "Heartbeat Bill" will never be the law.

I think I was mostly surprised that a bill such as this, even the introduction of it, has not garnered more news time if for no other reason than the controversial nature of it. But then I got all suspicious... what is the likelihood of a bill like this ever being passed?

So MY QUESTION is not even regarding the merits of this bill but more about the idea of politicians proposing bills that will never become laws (and they know it) as a "political maneuver" to gain support. Does that make sense? they can tell their constituents...well I TRIED but it just didn't go through! It just feels like manipulation and I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot.

Edited by Heather in NC

So MY QUESTION is not even regarding the merits of this bill but more about the idea of politicians proposing bills that will never become laws (and they know it) as a "political maneuver" to gain support. Does that make sense? they can tell their constituents...well I TRIED but it just didn't go through! It just feels like manipulation and I don't appreciate being treated like an idiot.

Sort of like the Republicans in Congress spending so much time on a vote to repeal health care reform when they know it will never pass in the Senate or get signed by the president. Politicians do it all the time to manipulate the majority of their constituents that have never picked up a newspaper.

And that is really all it is. A lot of campaigning in Ohio during this last election cycle was based on "family values" type issues. Now they can say they tried. Where's the emoticon for rolling my eyes?