Menu

Yoghurt question!

If you try to eat no, or few, additives and preservatives what do you do about yoghurt? All the normal yoghurts are chock full of the bad stuff, and all the 'organic' super-duper ranges are way out of our price range for a family of 6. So.................ideas?

Make your own... you can make it with non-instant dry milk.... and make it a higher ratio of powder to help it be thicker. I know that some add vanilla... I think vanilla power may be better than liquid. There was a big thread about someone who added malt powder... wonder how Malt Barley would be??? (I looooovvvve malt powder, but it's not healthy)

:)

While you're getting the hang of yogurt-making (or on weeks you don't want to) you could try the Dannon whole-milk yogurt. I think the 32oz. carton just says "natural" or something like that. It doesn't have a bunch of additives. It's plain flavor, so add your own fruit, jelly, etc!

We make our own. YUM. WAY cheaper too.

I don't know any plain yogurts that have weird things in them. Just get plain and add your own jams, etc.

I buy culture to have on hand (it's a powder, and you only use 1/16 teaspoon or less to turn a gallon of milk into yogurt). You can also just use yogurt with live cultures from the store. Heat the milk to near-boiling, then let cool to body temperature. Wrap the pot in a towel and set it in a pre-warmed (oven off) oven and let it sit for 8-12 hours. If you drain it afterwards through cheesecloth, you can make extra-thick Greek style yogurt. YUM. Have some in the oven right now!

Make your own! I've been making crockpot yogurt for several months now for my family of 6. It saves so much money and isn't hard at all. I used plain greek yogurt as my first starter and we sweeten with Stevia. We throw in fresh and frozen fruit when we have it, and I keep a bag of crushed nuts in the pantry to add to it. Yummo!

You can get yogurt mixes & yogurt makers at the grocery stores in NZ. I use the EasiYo Yogurt Maker, but often I use the Hansells yogurt mixes as my boys like the sweetened mixes. Most of the EasiYo mixes are unsweetened.

It truely is easy to make yogurt. I put the mix into "cook" in the EasiYo yogurt maker at bedtime & by morning I have a litre of homemade yogurt to put in the fridge. Directions are on the box. Have a look at New World, Woolworths, Foodtown, Pak n'Save, etc.

http://www.easiyo.com/the-easiyo-system/three-steps-yogurt.html

HTH,

Edited by Deb in NZ