Menu

Say Hello To Our New Addition :) And a Q for small dog owners

We adopted a dog today from a local rescue group! Isn't he cute! He's so playful yet gentle.

Here's his pic

He's about 8 lbs and won't grow much more (he's 7 months old). We would like to get a crate for him and I don't know what size to get. The one that looks good is this one but can someone recommend the right size crate? Thank you!!!!

post-14343-13535084481612_thumb.jpg

post-14343-13535084481612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Halcyon

Congratulations!!!! He's sooooo cute!!! :001_smile:

The cage you linked is for 70 to 90 pound dogs. :lol:

I don't see a problem with a larger crate, but I think the reason it's not recommended is that it gives the dog the option of setting up one end for sleeping and the other for doing his business. Business shouldn't be handled inside the cage. :tongue_smilie: Whereas a smaller cage won't give him the option and might actually make him feel more secure. Then again, if your cat would be likely to go up to the cage and reach in to play :D, a larger cage would give the pup more of a chance to stay out of reach.

So how's that for some solid helpful advice. :lol:

Adorable! Congrats! :D An 8lb dog might be fine in a cat carrier... :lol: When I've bought crates for my dogs, I just go with the recommended size advertised. It's worked so far.

ETA: Lots of people like/use the wire crates you linked to, but I actually prefer the plastic crates. Just to think about.

Edited by annlaura

He's adorable! He looks just like a little terrier dog we used to have. It's funny because we opened the door to let our dog in, and he just came in, too, like he had always lived there! Nobody claimed him and we kept him.

That's the kind of crate I would get. We have those for our dogs. It has to be tall enough so he is able to fully stand up in the crate, and long and wide enough so that he can lay down and stretch out. If you're still housebreaking him, then you don't want it any larger than this because a smaller crate will discourage him from going in his crate, but if he's fully housebroken, then it can be larger.

We adopted a dog today from a local rescue group! Isn't he cute! He's so playful yet gentle.

Here's his pic

He's about 8 lbs and won't grow much more (he's 7 months old). We would like to get a crate for him and I don't know what size to get. The one that looks good is this one but can someone recommend the right size crate? Thank you!!!!

SOOOO CUTE!!!!

Our Dorky and Pommie both use the size made for cats. They are small...but cozy. The dog should have enough room to get up and turn around, but not enough to make one end a bathroom.

Faithe

Thanks-I thought I linked to the 24 inch one LOL. I think the smallest would be fine, except he's a bit longer so I think a 24 inch will work better. :) Thanks all-I haven't had a dog in 15 years and I am so glad DH finally agreed.

Sorry! It comes up as 42" x 28" when I pull up the link. :lol:

24" should be great! :)