Menu

Normal? Am I Over-thinking this?

warriormom

Am I over-thinking this? My child, 5, repeats words back to me with a different pronunciation. For example, "remember" becomes "renember" and "dough" becomes "doan". My daughter, 2 ,pronounces most everything correctly. He is reading, but do you think this might impede his spelling. This happens in maybe 1 out of ten things he repeats. Is this just normal? FYI, I do gently correct him and "break down" words for him. Sign of of a non-auditory learner? Ok I am over-thinking this....:tongue_smilie:

Spelling can be tricky no matter what.

I noticed this with my DS (5) today and yesterday. We are on level 2 of All About Spelling. And yesterday we hit spelling 2 syllable words. My DS is excellent pronounceater but i last day made me think about it lol .

1. Magnet - he pronounced Magnit (as do I lol), but for spelling you need to know how to say it right.

2. Cabin - DS says cabn. And he hears en... but the real spelling is Cabin.

3. Seven - DS says Sevn. Same story. I almost have to re-teach him how to say words lol

4. Dentist - DS says Dentest... because when we say it fast its kinda blurry what it is lol

the whole lesson was for me to teach how to say words for real lol

Try gently correcting the pronunciation, but not every word or all the time. You don't want to frustrate him. My oldest (6.5) was saying "peeksuh" for pizza until recently when I corrected him. He now says it right. It was just a pronunciation he'd picked up when younger (used to call it "puppies").

Now my 4 year old says 'n' for a lot of 'm' words, and he's in speech therapy for it, though some things I end up correcting myself at home.

My 6.5ds says 'brefekst' instead of breakfast. And he can't pronouce his l's and r's yet.

A sign he made up for his room:

Wools for David's room: wen I say dont cum in I meen for 3 dase ecsept for hugs and kises.

So yes, it does muck up his spelling that he can't yet say some words right, but also, he did put an 'l' in rules, and an 'r' on room, so he does get some of it right!

I wouldn't be too concerned, and would deal with the spelling mistakes as they come up and gently point out correct pronounciation. As long as you're sure that his hearing is okay.

My son has pretty significant speech issues and it impacts his spelling greatly. You might consider doing a speech evaluation to see which errors your son makes and how you can work on them. We have Super Star Speech which is an at-home program.

The longer they mis-speak words, the harder it is to change. I joke that we should just move to Australia, where Corbin will fit right in with his lack of r's.

Is it normal? Absolutely. My boys both do similar things as do some of their friends. Can it affect spelling and reading? Yes and it has hurt my son who struggles with some pronunciation issues a little. But give him time to grow out of it and just keep gently working on it.

As a mom who has dealt with a lot of speech problems and speech therapies, "renember" doesn't concern me nearly as much as "doan" at age 5. "Renember" is simply having a bit of trouble differentiating sounds with in a word. The sound he is saying and the target sound are at least similar. Completely age appropriate and normal speech for a 5yo but should be gently corrected so it doesn't become habit. "Doan" for "dough", however is pronouncing sounds that simply aren't there. When you gently correct and break words down for him, does he eventually pronounce it correctly? I noticed that you live in Georgia, we lived in the South for a while ourselves. Regional dialects and accents, however charming, are a nightmare for a child who already has trouble differentiating sounds in words. I would make sure you over enunciate words for him when you correct. Exaggerate the target sound and working one sound at a time, insist on him pronouncing the correct sound once you know he is capable of pronouncing it. If he cannot produce the target sound no matter how many times you break it down for him, it make be time for a hearing and speech evaluation. HTH

My two-year old (almost 3) DS is in speech therapy. He has come a LONG way in his articulation through visual cues. For example, I touch my nose for the "n" sound and I make something like an ASL "m" sign for the "m" sound. I don't know if that means he's more visual than auditory in general. I just know that the visual cues have helped him tremendously. I can just make the sign and he will correct his word. If you decide to do a speech evaluation, maybe that's something a speech therapist can give you some info about.

Am I over-thinking this? My child, 5, repeats words back to me with a different pronunciation. For example, "remember" becomes "renember" and "dough" becomes "doan". My daughter, 2 ,pronounces most everything correctly. He is reading, but do you think this might impede his spelling. This happens in maybe 1 out of ten things he repeats. Is this just normal? FYI, I do gently correct him and "break down" words for him. Sign of of a non-auditory learner? Ok I am over-thinking this....:tongue_smilie:

He could be delayed, or it could be a sign of an auditory processing problem. It doesn't seem like he is hearing the sounds correctly. If you want to work on it I would recommend Earobics for a less expensive program and LiPS for the cream of the crop.

The biggest concern is that children who can't hear the differences between sounds, have a nightmare of a time with spelling, becuase they just can't hear it. My 3rd dd also had speech delays that cleared up around 5, but she still couldn't hear the difference between short I and short E for spelling, nor did she hear two sounds in blends. My ds has auditory processing difficulties and we used LiPS for speech therapy, but it also fixed my 3rd dd's more mild issues as well. My ds is now using Earobics for additional independent practice.

Heather

You should get his hearing tested by an audiologist just to make sure he doesn't have fluid lingering in his ears (after a cold, fluid can linger for weeks in some kids), wax, or any other issues. My son had speech issues when he was two (he would say " I wanna bike" when he really wanted "another bite" of food, which was really frustrating for him and us.) We got a speech eval and they recommended a hearing test. We thought he heard fine, but he failed. They found a mild to moderate hearing loss due to all the fluid even though he had never complained of ear pain or had an ear infection. He is now on his second set of ear tubes and his speech is clear now. The screening they do at the pediatrician's office isn't very thorough so try to get referred to an audiologist. My school district's early intervention program had an audiologist (masters' level not a screener) do the assessment for free. I just told the school district we wanted a speech eval but wanted to test his hearing first.

You should get his hearing tested by an audiologist just to make sure he doesn't have fluid lingering in his ears (after a cold, fluid can linger for weeks in some kids), wax, or any other issues. My son had speech issues when he was two (he would say " I wanna bike" when he really wanted "another bite" of food, which was really frustrating for him and us.) We got a speech eval and they recommended a hearing test. We thought he heard fine, but he failed. They found a mild to moderate hearing loss due to all the fluid even though he had never complained of ear pain or had an ear infection. He is now on his second set of ear tubes and his speech is clear now. The screening they do at the pediatrician's office isn't very thorough so try to get referred to an audiologist. My school district's early intervention program had an audiologist (masters' level not a screener) do the assessment for free. I just told the school district we wanted a speech eval but wanted to test his hearing first.

Fluid in the ear was the cause of my middle son's speech issues too, though his was more obvious - he'd had a gazillion ear infections as a child. He got tubes at age 2 (one is about to fall out now at age 4). It was amazing that even what little he said was so much clearer immediately after the surgery. Unfortunately, even though he could hear now, he'd learned a lot of words while not being able to hear, so the mispronunciations stem from that. So a past hearing issue (like fluid leading to tubes) can still cause issues once the hearing issue is resolved.

We're doing speech therapy through the school system, so it's free. We go once a week for 30 minutes to the local elementary car. My other kids and I sit in the van and read while we wait for him. He has the BEST time there. Seriously loves it.

My dd9 does this, caused by auditory processing disorder, receptive and expressive speech delays, and motor planning issues. It wouldn't hurt to have a speech evaluation. Depending on how often he makes these errors and whether he has other symptoms, you might want to consider an APD evaluation with an audiologist too. The evaluation starts with checking hearing and fluid, and they won't proceed with the rest of the evaluation if they find that hearing loss or fluid are the actual causes of the problems.

I agree with Heather's recommendations for remediation at home. Our audiologist even recommends Earobics.