Menu

If you could have been a teen-woman in any time period, which would it be??

Funny story for all you Aqua Net fans.

One day I was getting ready for work. Got out of the shower, blow-dried my hair (straight up into the air, y'know, it was 1985), grabbed the hair spray can and lacquered it on. Brushed my teeth, looked in the mirror, hair fallen, reapply spray.

Go get dressed. Come back to apply makeup. Hair fallen. Apply additional hair spray.

Blue shadow complete. Hair, fallen again. I should be helmet head by now, what's up?!! Say a few choice words, as I am late for work. Spray spray spray spray spray. Cuss cuss cuss. Hair falling, falling, falling...

I look over at the end of the counter, where I see, sitting undisturbed, my huge spray can of Aqua Net. Look at the can in my hand....

Aaaaagh!

Lysol. Some new spring air fragrance brought into the house by my roommate. Good thing she wasn't home at that moment. She would never have seen graduation day.

I was definitely late for work.

That is SO.FREAKIN.FUNNY. !!! :lol::lol::lol:

OMG...remember Kasey Kasem and the top 40 countdown?

My very first concert was to go see Motley Crue in 1985. It was so awesome!

And Duran Duran....oh how I loved Duran Duran...

Motley Crue...I had such a crush on Vince Neal and Tommy Lee lol. My mother would never let me go to any concerts until I was like 17 or 18 though. My first concert was Aerosmith (Skid Row opened).

And yes, I used to listen to Kasey Kasem's top 40 countdown haha!

Motley Crue...I had such a crush on Vince Neal and Tommy Lee lol. My mother would never let me go to any concerts until I was like 17 or 18 though. My first concert was Aerosmith (Skid Row opened).

And yes, I used to listen to Kasey Kasem's top 40 countdown haha!

I remember taping the countdown (on cassette tapes - took forever and several tapes) once or twice a month to mail to a friend. His family was stationed in Germany and he couldn't get it there.

OMG...remember Kasey Kasem and the top 40 countdown?

My very first concert was to go see Motley Crue in 1985. It was so awesome!

And Duran Duran....oh how I loved Duran Duran...

Duran Duran has a new album coming out in March. And, it really is an album because it is coming out on vinyl in addition to on cd. I heard an interview with Simon LeBon the other morning. He still sounds dreamy.

I am totally an 80's girl. Although, I agree with Peela that I think my own teenager doesn't have it bad, either. He has a lot of freedom, independence, and opportunities.

Now.

For me though, if I was to pick a time, I would have liked to have been a flower power child in the 60s :) I told me mum when I was a teenager that I was born a generation too late- I really should have been a hippy.

This is me. I often say I was saved from myself by being born too late. Who knows where or what I'd be now, but I bet I would have had fun then! :tongue_smilie:

Me! And REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, OMD, The Smiths...

Psychedelic Furs (got to see them with OMD in concert....), Violent Femmes....

(and I must confess....I was a huge fan of the S3x Pistols, too.....)

... INXS, The Pogues, Peter Gabriel, The B-52's ...

I still love The Pogues. They are my all time favorite. My Ipod is full of The Pogues....

Amen. Class of '88. Decade of decadence. Big hair, eye shadow, lip gloss, and shoulder pads. Best movies and music of ALL TIME. All the fun we had before the world found out that fun could kill you. What a bummer the 90s were after that.

Here's one for you... I did my student teaching at a high school in 1993. I remember being absolutely MORTIFIED and how AWFUL the kids looked. It was the "pearl-jam-grunge" era. They all looked filthy and homeless (and this was in an upscale neighborhood). It was cool to look grubby back then. It was such a shock to me since when we were in high school we got up early to have enough time to curl, rat and hair spray our hair and put on all our make-up. School was a fashion show for us! :lol:

Ugghh....the 80's :lol:

I remember that our jeans had to have Gloria Vanderbilt, Sasoon, or some other name on the back, oh and be so tight that you had to use clothes hangers to poke the pockets. Nike or Puma shoes, although you could get away with Converse if you wore 2 different shoelaces......and BABYDOLL shoes (u-g-l-y but we all wore them anyway for some crazy reason lol)

And I can't forget Add-a-bead necklaces lol.

But the very best thing was MTV......actually played music videos instead of shock tv!

I would have loved the late 60's early 70's when it seemed all the teen angst had a direction and that music was the very best. To actually feel that your actions might make a difference, that there was a reason to rebel, besides just wanting to be different from your parents before you turned into them.

Wow, what a thought? Yeah, I couldn't have any of that kinky stuff... LOL

I was Class of `92 :hurray: I guess I left just before grunge became cool. Cause all I remember were big sweaters, pegged jeans, stirrup pants and looooong sweaters, tucked tees and rolled sleeves, tight jeans, big belts, off the shoulder shirts, cardigans and turtlenecks, short skirts, ruffled skirts, strapless dresses with the sweetheart necklines, and denim- denim jackets, skirts... you name it.

I LOVED the 80's!! I graduated 8th grade in `88 to Forever Young by Alphaville. But because already did that thing, I think it would be neat to see how another generation did it, ya know??

My husband was a true 80's generation. he graduated in '86 or '87. This year for Valentines I asked him to make me a mix-CD of songs he would have put on a tape for me "back in the day"... it'll be interesting to see what he picks ;)

Betcha a dollar that you are getting some Air Supply and Journey lol

I would like to be a teen in middle-class/upper-middle class, mid-town (just a tad larger than small-town) America in 1910. Just like in Betsy, Tacy and Tib. Love the clothing, the education, the choices women had and the way men treated women like they were something special. All the new modern inventions just being put into homes.....telephones, automobiles, electricity....what a fun time to experience!

Ugghh....the 80's :lol:

I remember that our jeans had to have Gloria Vanderbilt, Sasoon, or some other name on the back, oh and be so tight that you had to use clothes hangers to poke the pockets. Nike or Puma shoes, although you could get away with Converse if you wore 2 different shoelaces......and BABYDOLL shoes (u-g-l-y but we all wore them anyway for some crazy reason lol)

And I can't forget Add-a-bead necklaces lol.

But the very best thing was MTV......actually played music videos instead of shock tv!

I would have loved the late 60's early 70's when it seemed all the teen angst had a direction and that music was the very best. To actually feel that your actions might make a difference, that there was a reason to rebel, besides just wanting to be different from your parents before you turned into them.

I'll have you know that I was quite proud of my very first pair of Shelltop Adidas!! :lol:

Honestly, I don't think it was something most people just "got used to." I would not want to live in a time when losing a baby or young child was sort of something you had to expect from life.

There are real challenges of modern life, and the 80s is not a time I would necessarily pick as "mine." But the reason most of us probably are looking at the 20th century might be related to the life expectancy for ourselves and our children in eras.

I'll have you know that I was quite proud of my very first pair of Shelltop Adidas!! :lol:

ROFL.....I almost wrote Adidas too, but I couldn't remember how to spell it. I soooo get it though, I think people complaining about name brands these days are clueless compared to how we lived.