Menu

Yellow teeth?

My ds2.5 has yellow teeth in front. It looks like the front 4 on top and bottom. I mean they are really yellow, like nicotine yellow. We brush his teeth and a little of it goes away but still yellow. Doesn't look like cavities, I know what those look like.

Yes I know I should take him to the dentist however there is NO WAY (unless through sedation!) he would allow the Dr to look at his teeth. I stuggle mightily to brush and look at them and only through threat of physical harm ;) does he let me brush his teeth.

So any ideas?

real stuff. Dip the toothbrush in the peroxide to get it wet, then dab it in the baking soda so that some of it sticks. It tastes kind of yucky, and feels weird, but they get used to it after a while. My daughters teeth were turning yellow, and they have slowly whitened again. It will take a while, but it does seem to be working. You might also ask if an over the counter teeth whitening product is o.k. for children.

Hot Lava Mama

My ds2.5 has yellow teeth in front. It looks like the front 4 on top and bottom. I mean they are really yellow, like nicotine yellow. We brush his teeth and a little of it goes away but still yellow. Doesn't look like cavities, I know what those look like.

Yes I know I should take him to the dentist however there is NO WAY (unless through sedation!) he would allow the Dr to look at his teeth. I stuggle mightily to brush and look at them and only through threat of physical harm ;) does he let me brush his teeth.

So any ideas?

Is there a pediatric dentist you can take him to?

A dentist or pediatric dentist is probably your best option--take a look at this article.

Fluorosis

This irreversible condition is caused by ingesting too much fluoride during the tooth-forming years. The fluoride damages the enamel-forming cells, resulting in a mineralization disorder that increases the sub-surface enamel. This porous surface causes the teeth to turn a dingy yellow.

Tooth Trauma

Accidents that damage the nerve in or near a tooth may cause yellow staining in children's teeth. The stain only forms within the tooth or teeth that the nerve is attached to. ...

Poor Dental Hygiene

Not brushing and flossing regularly in order to remove plaque and staining substances can cause teeth to discolor and turn yellow. You should teach your child to brush twice a day and floss once a day to avoid their teeth becoming stained and yellow.

The dds of a friend had teeth that were doing similar and the dentist said it was juice staining their teeth. He suggested they switch to a cup with a straw or a completely away from a sippy cup because those dump the drink on the teeth and encourage the kids to keep the juice around the teeth. My friend switched and her children's teeth are looking better.

The dds of a friend had teeth that were doing similar and the dentist said it was juice staining their teeth. He suggested they switch to a cup with a straw or a completely away from a sippy cup because those dump the drink on the teeth and encourage the kids to keep the juice around the teeth. My friend switched and her children's teeth are looking better.

I find that interesting. A sippy cup would essentially funnel the drink past the front teeth, whereas when you drink with an open cup, the drink does touch the front teeth.

I find that interesting. A sippy cup would essentially funnel the drink past the front teeth, whereas when you drink with an open cup, the drink does touch the front teeth.
It depends on how the cup is used I guess. A lot of kids will tilt the spout in the front of the mouth and dump on the teeth from how it was explained to me. A straw by passes the teeth.

So any ideas?

Did he have any sort of mouth trauma? Both of my kids fell as toddlers, and hit their mouths. Both ended up with discolored front teeth, though they were different. One dc's tooth turned pure white (whiter than the other teeth). The other dc's tooth turned gray. Neither child lost the traumatized teeth early. They just looked different.

Do you remember your child falling and hurting his mouth (bleeding of teeth or gums)?

What color hair does he have? Redheads tend to have yellower teeth. Remember, he's going to lose those teeth in a few years anyway :001_smile: I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point. You'll have him into the dentist before then and can ask the question then. Maybe you can just ask the dentist about it next time you go.

Mary