Menu

Eastern Orthodox or Catholics using TOG?

I am Eastern Orthodox and am wondering if there are others who are similar using TOG? There are several parts of the curriculum that I am not sure what to do with, certain books and topics. I would also appreciate tips on how to weave eastern history into TOG's western history.

I thought about it for a couple days last year, but it just didn't seem to be worth the trouble of changing what needed to be changed or incorporate what needed to be incorporated.

I was going to use a Catholic program similar to TOG. There were too many negative reviews from moms here for me to make the investment.

I wish there was a good solid history and science either secular or appropriate for Catholics and EOs.

Chucki and iwka,

Would you mind providing additional information as to what would need to be changed? I already own Years 1-3. I ultimately decided to use SOTW for our first rotation, and consequently only used part of TOG Y2.

We will be starting our second rotation next year. I looked over the Y1 book selections, and have already determined that I will need to drop the worldview and church history TOG selections. I have begun searching for EO materials to replace these selections.

Thanks for your help!

Krista

Chucki and iwka,

Would you mind providing additional information as to what would need to be changed? I already own Years 1-3. I ultimately decided to use SOTW for our first rotation, and consequently only used part of TOG Y2.

We will be starting our second rotation next year. I looked over the Y1 book selections, and have already determined that I will need to drop the worldview and church history TOG selections. I have begun searching for EO materials to replace these selections.

Thanks for your help!

Krista

We've used Year 3. Too many changes required to keep it going: philosophy, church history and history would have to be altered.

:iagree:This. Also any references about being saved, faith vs. works, any number of theological references that differ from the teachings of the Church. Pre-reading every single thing for any nuance that could be biased against the Church. Something as simple as a reference to "the Great Reformation."

We are in Year 1, just getting into Unit 2, and so far the only issue we've had is one of the books on Noah's Ark. I've been trying to look ahead and find resources for Year 2. There is a Catholic TOG yahoo group, but it's not very busy. I haven't heard of an Eastern Orthodox group... I have a list somewhere of possible substitutions but I'm at the office right now. I'll try to find it later and post.

The whole philosophical and theological approach is so different. Catholics followed via antiqua, Protestants via moderna, so the Bible interpretation and reality (the world as we know it) is explained always accordingly. It is not only the question of Reformation, but how different Protestant denominations are explaining... everything. In case of TOG, they are Reformed, so look under what they believe.

If you feel well prepared philosophically and theologically to distinguish these differences, you might try to use TOG, but you might be frustrated.