Menu

My dd has a microscope. Now what?

WE just looked at Elodea leaves under the microscope. The boys were fascinated by the streaming of the chloroplasts. I then showed them how to change solutions on a slide and we replaced the water with 10% salt solution. WE then watched as the chloroplasts moved to the center of each cell due to loss of water. We discussed the rigidity of the cell wall vs the cell membrane etc.

For reference I have "The Ultimate Guide to Your Microscope." Home Science Tools has a protozoan kit that you hatch. You monitor the culture for several days and watch as the population changes. You can also buy individual protozoan and feed them. My boys are looking forward to that.

For reference I have "The Ultimate Guide to Your Microscope." Home Science Tools has a protozoan kit that you hatch. You monitor the culture for several days and watch as the population changes. You can also buy individual protozoan and feed them. My boys are looking forward to that.

Sounds pretty cool. Thanks! :001_smile:

OH if you look for Elodea....don't ask for Elodea....the plant goes by it's name Anachris. You can find it at PetsMart and those types of pet/fish stores. IT's a good plant to use b/c it's leaves are so thin. NO prep needed, just put a leaf under the microscope. There's another one I haven't tried yet. You're supposed to get a feel for how many chloroplasts are present and then put the plant in the dark over night and then look at the number of chloroplasts. If you google Elodea experiments, you'll come up with several.

Let her explore. Teach her the way to use the microscope then give her a few glass slides and cover slips, a dropper and some alcohol (for cleaning the slides afterward).I had a microscope when I was about 12 and was given freedom to look at whatever struck my fancy. I learned so much by searching for things to look at and researching what I actually did see through the lens. Give her a couple of library books on Microscope experiments/things to do with Microscope and a notebook. Have her draw things she sees through the lens, recording where she got her sample. Pond water or water found stagnant, drops of water from leaves, and experimental water with yeast and sugar will give great sightings of micro-organisms. I had a bunch of premade slides that looked great, but the slides I really learned from are the ones I made myself.

Okay, some will think this is gross, but this was one of the first things we did with our microscope. We put scotch tape on our skin and then pulled off the tape and put the tape on a slide. Then we looked at the dead skin cells. Our current microscope was an inexpensive one, but it was still fascinating to look at. We did this on our arms, our faces, even our feet.

One day we caught a dust mite, very gross, which led to a whole house cleaning and better hygiene habits for ds. We've done it several times since then, no more mites though.

Thanks for all the replies! Dd doesn't seem all that interested is just exploring on her own and putting everything she can find under the lens, which is what I did at her age when I got my first microscope! So I thought a kit or a course might help kick-start her interest. There are some great suggestions here for accomplishing that. Thanks!

Okay, some will think this is gross, but this was one of the first things we did with our microscope. We put scotch tape on our skin and then pulled off the tape and put the tape on a slide. Then we looked at the dead skin cells. Our current microscope was an inexpensive one, but it was still fascinating to look at. We did this on our arms, our faces, even our feet.

One day we caught a dust mite, very gross, which led to a whole house cleaning and better hygiene habits for ds. We've done it several times since then, no more mites though.

:D never thought of skin cells. now i have a good excuse to buy a new microscope.

sorry for typos - typing one handed with a pen, since poorly dd on lap and ketboard just out of reach:lol:

ds once cut himself shaving and dd2 very sympathetically passed him a slide and said, 'bleed on this'

I have a similar story. My DD, then 2yrs old, came down the hallway crying with blood running down her leg. The boys ran to her, I screamed "Wait, let me grab a slide!!!!!" :lol:

:lol: You might be a homeschooler, if . . .