Menu

Where do I find the statistic or do you know it?

I don't know if that can accurately be defined. If every public or private school was at the same standard, same schedule, and what have you and every homeschool was at the same standard, same schedule, and what have you then one could accurately define the statistic.

All of that time that they waste in PS is wasted here too*... but she isn't away from her mama during that time. That makes me happy!

Potty breaks for teacher, toddler breaks for teacher, WTM breaks for teacher, chores in the middle of class... potty breaks for kid, snack breaks for kid, brain breaks for kid, playing with siblings, doodling instead of working... oh and teacher and kid yelling. lol

You can't compare because as Parrothead said, there are too many variables. If you just want a comparison of time spent on one task, you could time how long it takes one lesson in math, for example in public school vs. how long it would take you to teach the exact same lesson in home school (minus the class activity, the raising hands, the handing in papers etc.). But - in real life, we rarely use the exact same lessons as those given in a public school. Plus, a comparison like this assumes that you do not have a child who is dawdling at home or has a melt-down or takes long potty breaks etc.

I googled "on task learning" and got one site that said that out of 600 hours of teaching time per year, that only 200 hours of p.s. time was "on task". Another site said that 50% of each p.s. day was spent in on task learning. But neither statement had anything cited to back it up (which is why I didn't link it). But I thought I'd tell you about it in case you wanted to spend time googling and reading.