Menu

I need some ideas for meatless meals that don't use so much cheese.

I keep it simple. Brown rice and beans or peas, salad, steamed veggies, skim milk for the kids. Not one speck of cheese because cheese is my downfall -- I like it, in abundance, on lots of things.

Put a bit of peanut sauce on it, like the sauce for gadogado Or a salad along side with tahini dressing, or a peanut butter pie for dessert.

Nava Atlas has simple, tasty, easy meals that are not cheesecheesecheese. Vegetariana is a good place to start.

Tonight we had (brown rice) pasta with tomato sauce with *lots* of crimini mushrooms (chopped rather small) in it. Salad, pineapple.

Last night was miso broth with tofu, baby corn, napa cabbage, ****ake mushrooms, a few julienned carrots, and rice noodles.

Often we have meatless chili (no meat substitutes, just mixed beans) with corn bread or baked blue corn chips. Red beans and rice. Past'e fagioli with white beans. Minestrone soup (no pasta) with garbanzo beans. Indian red lentil curry with brown basmati rice. Saag paneer made with tofu instead of paneer cheese...

Do you like Middle Eastern food? Falafel, hummus, tzazkiki and/or yogurt garlic sauce, baba gannouj, lentil soup, fattoush, cut up/sliced veggies (cukes, tomatoes and olives especially) and pita bread all go together in limitless varieties, and are all yummy; the falafel is fried, so it's not as healthy but still not terribly unhealthy... oh man, I am so hungry now.

Guest Lorna

Stir fry vegetables with fresh ginger, soy sauce, tofu, cashew nuts or peanuts, and garlic (adjust and leave out ingredients to suit your taste).

Vegetable curry with garbanzo beans (chick peas) and coconut milk (added at the end).

Pasta sauce made with canned tomatoes, fennel, onion, and olives.

Rösti

Ingredients:

2 lb potatoes

3 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

1 teaspoon thyme

3 tablespoons parsley

1 teaspoon salt

freshly ground black pepper

vegetable oil for frying

Method:

1.Wash and peel the potatoes, then coarsely grate them into a large bowl.

2. Melt the butter or margarine in a small saucepan and pour it over the grated potato. This should be done as speedily as possible, as the raw grated potato turns brown quickly.

3. Chop up the thyme and parsley, and add to the potato mixture, together with 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper. Mix together well.

4. In a large frying pan, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the grated potato mixture, smoothing it out so that it covers the pan evenly. Turn down to medium heat, and cook for 7-10 minutes.

5. When the potato looks brown around the edges, try to loosen it from the pan, carefully running a spatula around the edges of the pan, and underneath (if possible). Turn off the heat and, placing a baking tray over the pan quickly tip the pan upside-down. The rosti should come out of the pan onto the tray – any potato that may be left in the pan can be scraped out and put back on the rosti.

6. Put the pan back on the heat and add another tablespoon of oil. When it has heated gently slide the rosti off the baking tray and into the pan, and cook the other side for a further 10 minutes, over a medium heat

Vegetable Cornish Pasties

Ingredients:

Pastry:

8 oz (225 g) plain bread flour (T80)

½ teaspoon salt

4 oz (125 g) margarine

cold water

Filling

1 medium swede

4 medium potatoes

2 medium onions

salt and pepper

½ teaspoon dry mint

1 egg beaten (to glaze, optional)

Method:

1.Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the salt. Rub in the margarine, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

2. Stir in enough cold water to form a soft, supple dough. Knead once or twice, cover the bowl, and refrigerate until needed.

3. Peel and wash the potatoes and swede. Grate coarsely into a large bowl, or chop up very finely. Peel the onions, and chop finely. Add to bowl, and mix in seasoning and mint. Stir well to combine.

4. Divide the pastry into eight pieces. Make one of them into a ball and then, using a rolling pin, roll out to form a 7˝ (18 cm) circle. Place about two heaped tablespoons of the mixture on one half of the pastry, then fold the other half over, and press the edges together*. Flute the edge with the fingers, and brush with the beaten egg.

5. Repeat with the remaining pastry, and then place the pasties on two trays and bake in the oven at 220˚C (425˚F) Gas Mark 7 for about forty minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.

*Alternatively, place the mixture in the centre of the circle, and bring the two sides up to meet in the middle

One thing I love is to do a veg. medley with squash, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, in olive oil and a little butter. I serve it over couscous. One of my summer favorites!

I use couscous a lot. We don't care for rice as much. Although, the kids will now eat brown rice if I have something with a flavorful sauce/gravy on it.

We also just do a pinto bean concoction (no recipe, it varies every time and sometimes I do put some ham in there) over couscous too. Quite tasty.

"Laurel's Kitchen"

"Moosewood Low Fat Favorites"

A pretty good pretty fast pizza sauce is:

1 little can of tomato paste (I like Contadina)

1 cup of warm water

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Herbs ground up in a mortar:

1/4 t dried rosemary

1/2 t dried marjoram

1 t dried oregano

1/2 t dried basil

Mix them thoroughly. This makes enough sauce for a package of English muffins.

This is great with a LITTLE cheese (sharp cheddar and low fat mozzerella is a great combo) and sliced mushrooms and sliced scallions on top.

Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.

The recipe I used called for adding cashews, peas, red bell pepper, slivered red onion, mint, golden raisins, and a few other things. I tossed this with lime and olive oil dressing and it was really good! You could really play around with to adjust to your family's taste.

A stir fry is another good idea for a meatless dinner without cheese. As much as I love cheese, it's pretty disgusting to add it to most Asian dishes. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure you could find lots of stir fry dishes if you google for them.

I happen to like a cookbook called Main-Course Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin. She has several stir fry dishes in her book as well as the couscous salad I mentioned above. I use a recipe from this cookbook at least a couple times a week.