Menu

School situation?

I hope it would be OK to post my question here as well, because I don't really sure where it belongs. I just hope to get some advice or help here. Thank you.

Hi, I am new and I have 6 years old daughter and need advice. She started her first grade at age 5 in the public school that we believed to be the best in CA. As coming not from the district she was tested at her very first day in reading and writing, next day on math. It was her first day and she tested very low. I felt that she did not have the 'right click' with the teacher from the beginning, but we decided to give the school opportunity and continued.

I also took a certified tutor to help her with the reading, my daughter progressed very quickly in reading, now she reads at level J-K (18-20) according to the tutor and according to the second grade teacher who I also asked to test her informally. She spells very good, near the end of the third grade. If I can go through her 'don't knows' kind of encouraging her to answers, she gives me (or the tutor) very creative interesting and to the point answers. She started to play piano and learning very quickly.

Now, her classroom teacher states that she reads at level G (12) and at the end of the class (underachiever) without explaining how she decides so. She never prizes my daughter and never states that she doing anything good or right. The director of the school support the teacher in everything and tells us to abandon the idea of reading some of the magic tree house or even chapter books.

My daughter states that she hates school, she hates reading and writing. Her output in school is much lower than that one she shows at home. But now her will to read or study almost disappear. She only wants to do crafts, gymnastics and music. But not math, reading or writing.

I don't know what to do. I think she might be gifted, she catches everything very fast. Should I take her out of this school? Should I home school, even though I am an immigrant (no perfect English language) and work twice a week? How is all this done? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thought I'd give this a bump for you. Personally, I'd pull her out of school and keep working with her at home and with the tutor. When and if you go back to public school, find a different one and go in armed with better test scores before they place her in a class.

In many schools, once a students gets "labeled" it's hard to break. Also, for many young students, bullying is an issue and most kids aren't fond of the "smart ones." Peer pressure can indeed work to keep kids at the lowest common denominator to fit in. It's even possible that she's a bit scared of (or dislikes) the teacher and won't do what she is capable of due to the extra attention.

I see no reason to continue going forth with the situation as you describe it - regardless of any other details. She's young. She can learn well with many other options any of which are better than being "stuck" where she is.

Others can give you better advice with a young student. I started homeschooling mine when they were a bit older.

I think that with an excellent language curriculum and dilligent preparation for English and Reading lessons, you can successfully homeschool your child through this and especially if you keep the tutor for reading and grammar.

It's important that her love of learning not be squashed. She is at a very tender hearted age. If she is ready for Magic Tree House and other simple chapter books, then go ahead and start on those. Don't let the school stop you. The love of reading is so important!

We do have a billingual board here and more than one mom is homeschooling in America though English is her second language. If you frequent that board as well as the K-8 curriculum board, I think you will find excellent advice.

If you choose not to homeschool, then please consider moving your daughter to another school. Is there a Montessori school in your community? This type of school might be a great option.

Faith

There is a concept (and of course, I can't remember the name right now) in which a teacher will continually see a child at the level she first met them at. Many homeschool teachers do the same, in fact, failing to act upon their child's progress, so it's not just a teacher thing. That's why it's sometimes a great thing that students move on to a new teacher each year in school. It's a fresh start with someone new.

Also, the teacher will not have time to spend encouraging each student individually, so she will only record your daughter's independent results, which might be G without any coaxing.

So I think you have three options: homeschooler her, find another school, or just continue on hoping for better next year. I wouldn't be concerned about her English skills as long as you have the tutor to help. :001_smile:

If you homeschool, you can:

-tailor the curriculum to your daughter

-let her explore things that she's interested in

-maybe restore a love of learning

-lighten up the stress in the house by not getting up at 5am to wait for the school bus :tongue_smilie:

-spend a lot of time together "exploring" (can you tell my kids are in the "exploring" stage)

-let the labels, grade levels, etc go out the door and you can work on her level

:grouphug:

I think CA is one of the states that has virtual academies available through the charter schools program, and if so, those do the testing and leveling online and allow students to work at their own pace. I've heard both positives and negatives, but it would at least give you some support as you decide what to do.

I don't think traditional schools know what to do about young kids who are on multiple grade levels at once.

For the school side of things, G is the level a 1st grader mid year (at least in the 3 different states I taught 1st grade in) is expected to read so like someone said they very well could not have tested past that. Also, many tests require certain levels of fluency or comprehension to move on to the next level so you might want to find out if one of those caused her to be a G. I think you have got something going well with the reading tutor and would suggest you continue that whether or not you homeschool.

For the school side of things, G is the level a 1st grader mid year (at least in the 3 different states I taught 1st grade in) is expected to read so like someone said they very well could not have tested past that. Also, many tests require certain levels of fluency or comprehension to move on to the next level so you might want to find out if one of those caused her to be a G. I think you have got something going well with the reading tutor and would suggest you continue that whether or not you homeschool.

My 6yo had this problem. She could read at a much higher level, but failed the comprehension. Why? Because she had been taught to narrate the WTM way and they expected her to retell the story with as much detail as possible!:lol: Poor kid.

I think that beyond the 'level' problem, there is kind of something else going with this school. I have no proof, but only immigrant parents complain on the level of reading and math of their children. The school is predominantly white and Americans, there some Asians and some Hispanics, but very little of any other minorities. No black and only 2 bi-racial children. Whoever not own house in the community- treated and graded worse than those who does, without any regards of real level. Immigrants with few exception are in the same class and the teacher is very tough to children, she always tell them how bad they are even in situations where other adult would not even react. Most of the teachers who have children send them to that school and they do whatever the director says.

The after school program operates for three schools together officially- yet children from 2 other schools separated and not allowed to make friends with children from our school. In our school only children of parents who work go to after school, most of the children go home right after school. Those who go to this program see that children get worse and worse in homework and so. Once we saw that kids stand without doing nothing for 40 minutes. For other two schools the program seem normal, games and so. My daughter refused to go there stating that only 'big guys' work there as 'coaches', I found out that indeed only extremely large males take care of those children after school.

Anyhow, this story is much longer I guess and we probably should just try our luck elsewhere..