Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week five

I finished my "author binge" of Ellen Emerson White books. This week I read her earliest works: Friends for Life, Life without Friends, & Romance is a Wonderful Thing. They were not as good as her President's Daughter series and The Road Home (which I loved). I cracked up at her use of italics in every book she's written along with the word "stiff" over and over. She's a great YA author find though and I can't wait to read anything she comes out with next. One of the Friends books was published while she was a student at Tufts, pretty neat!

I also read Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Lawson. I pre read it before I gave it to my 11yod. I've noticed on the boards a lack of US perspective WW1 finds, and this is a good one. It addresses anti German immigrant sentiment and the Spanish influenza. Great book!

http://www.hattiebigsky.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Hattie-Big-Sky-Kirby-Larson/dp/0385733135

I received Ann Voscamp's 1000 Gifts in the mail from my Amazon order today.

http://www.amazon.com/One-Thousand-Gifts-Fully-Right/dp/0310321913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296951812&sr=1-1

I can't wait to read this. She's a gifted writer.

Edited by LNC

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I actually finished another one (under the wire) [phew] Cinderella Ate My Daughter. I liked it pretty well and appreciated many of her concerns despite our disparate worldviews.

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

4. Cinderella Ate My Daughter - Peggy Orenstein

I finished #4, Home Education by Charlotte Mason. Wow! I'm so glad I read this book! Are where did people get the idea Charlotte Mason didn't teach grammar to young children? Her examples of lessons for the under 9 crowd are pretty much exactly what we're doing in R&S English :lol: (Nor are they "light" in writing. "Write 20 sentences, which use..." ) So, so, SO glad I read this book. It dispelled so many CM *myths* for me. This *is* classical education!

I'm very busy this week, mostly pre-viewing other books for our homeschool, so I'll tackle a shorter, less dense book for #5: The Children of Green Knowe, by L. M. Boston. :) I better get going!

MM

I have been saying this about CM for years. She was not a warm, fuzzy educator. I am not really sure where people get their ideas that CM was education lite....or that narration is an easy way out....

Faithe

Then I took part in the Dekker Challenge and read Adam. Very good book! Couldn't put it down!

Yeah! - Glad you enjoyed it.

Robin, you've made me want to check out some of Dekker's books!

Sweet!

Link to week 6

Continue the conversation in the new thread.

I finished #4, Home Education by Charlotte Mason. Wow! I'm so glad I read this book! Are where did people get the idea Charlotte Mason didn't teach grammar to young children? Her examples of lessons for the under 9 crowd are pretty much exactly what we're doing in R&S English :lol: (Nor are they "light" in writing. "Write 20 sentences, which use..." ) So, so, SO glad I read this book. It dispelled so many CM *myths* for me. This *is* classical education!

Yes! I always tell people to read the original before they read the other books/curriculum that give their own ideas and label it CM (or start telling people they are CM homeschoolers. :D)