Menu

Finished a loft bed for my oldest!

Very nice! I would recommend a horizontal support about halfway down in the back for additional stability. Without it, you're more likely to have the whole thing twist a bit each time he gets in and out of the bed. This will weaken and loosen all the joints and bolts.

It's much stronger than it looks, which is good as that would be nearly impossible at this point (I'd have to take a saw to my finished project as that glue isn't going to give.).

It's screwed and glued--not just threaded through as it may appear in the pics. I've climbed it and it doesn't even begin to move (and I outweigh my son by a good 50 lbs.). Each post is 3 1x3's sandwiched to form a 2.5" post. I used lock washers and carriage bolts.

Here is a better pic of the back panel:

Now the cleats for the mattress support strips... I do wonder if those should be wider. I'm contemplating adding a lengthwise support (under the mattress slats) from head to footboard anyway just in case.

Edited by darlasowders

Now the cleats for the mattress support strips... I do wonder if those should be wider. I'm contemplating adding a lengthwise support (under the mattress slats) from head to footboard anyway just in case.

When you put all 7 mattress supports on, do they fill the space, or is there room between them? If there's any room between them, then I'd think that more supports in that direction would be more effective than any that ran the length of the bed.

Very nice! Choose your stain CAREFULLY!! My husband sanded and stained a loft bed for our son and we cannot use it. The stain smell is so toxic that it stinks up the entire house and his room. I could not in good conscious put my son in that bed breathing those fumes every night. One year later, we brought it in to try again and still it stinks. We will need to resand and restain with something a little more tolerable.

Very nice! Choose your stain CAREFULLY!! My husband sanded and stained a loft bed for our son and we cannot use it. The stain smell is so toxic that it stinks up the entire house and his room. I could not in good conscious put my son in that bed breathing those fumes every night. One year later, we brought it in to try again and still it stinks. We will need to resand and restain with something a little more tolerable.

I sure hope that wasn't Minwax... I hope to start staining it tomorrow.

I used some Cabot stain once that reeked like that. Once I put a coat of polycrylic on it, it seemed to go away.

When you put all 7 mattress supports on, do they fill the space, or is there room between them? If there's any room between them, then I'd think that more supports in that direction would be more effective than any that ran the length of the bed.

The mattress supports are 7 rectangular frames about 7" wide (They are shown at the left in the bottom pic on my blog.), so they don't entirely fill the space. They don't have much width between them though. Dh seems to think it's enough, but if I'm not sure, I may just have him keep the bunkie board he has now. (It might look better that way anyway.)