Menu

My dc dislike being read to.

Mommamia

What about letting them do something with their hands that interests them? Legos, beading, coloring, some other sort of quiet craft? That might keep them sitting still and interested.

Or, if they still don't like that, perhaps you can play audiobooks during meals when they're generally pretty happy to be sitting. :)

What about letting them do something with their hands that interests them? Legos, beading, coloring, some other sort of quiet craft? That might keep them sitting still and interested.

Or, if they still don't like that, perhaps you can play audiobooks during meals when they're generally pretty happy to be sitting. :)

I let my kids doodle or do a quiet activity while we read. We often do reading time during their morning snack. They *LOVE* reading time.

I let my kids doodle or do a quiet activity while we read. We often do reading time during their morning snack. They *LOVE* reading time.

I read stacks of children's books aloud to my kids starting when my oldest was 3 mos. old. Stacks. For hours at a time. But they "hated" when I tried chapter books. I didn't know what I was doing to do, because our curriculum has a lot of books, some of which I need to read aloud. All it took was a stack of coloring sheets. Now they love storytime.

My boys are not fans of reading time either. Especially if it is me reading. They will sit for other people to read to them. They do love to sit and look at books and like it when it was thier idea. So we had book time everyday and when they would ask I would read. This really helped open them up to me suggesting the book.

I had visions of couch time. Reading lots of great books. Whenever I announce that it's reading time (meaning time for me to read to them) they say "we hate reading time".

Anyone else? Suggestions?

Everyone is different.

My ds does best when he plays around on my exercise ball while I read. The girls make their paper Pokemon. I read aloud history and science. I really have no delusions that they are listening every moment, but they are listening quite a bit.

Personally when I try to sit and listen my mind still wanders. In church I end up thinking, "That IS red hair, boy I wouldn't wear that pattern it is too loud, is that shirt see through?" I can't stop my eyes from seeing things and it makes my mind wander, into totally meaningless petty dribble too. If I sit and copy a portion of the Bible we are covering I can stay fairly focused on what the pastor is saying. Occasionally I focus more on the writing but overall I focus on what is being said and really hear it. My point being as they get older you might find they are haring more than you think. Even my 3rd dd pipes up and tells everyone how tomatoes are a fruit and not a vegetable and she was 3 when we covered that last (just now covering it again). I didn't think she was paying any attention, just playing in the room.

The other possibility is they are visual learners, and auditory just doesn't do it for them. Do they like to read?

Heather

They are under 9yrs. I've found that if I let them play something quiet while I read, they zone into what they are playing. Maybe I just need to find a different batch of books.:glare:

You will be surprised what they are taking in, even if they appear to be engrossed in what they are doing.

Also, get some real boy books, you know stuff with farming, fighting etc. Farmer Boy comes to mind, and right at this moment I can't think of other boy books but that is because I mainly read at this point in time to engage my girls, although am currently reading The Bronze Bow to them.

They are under 9yrs. I've found that if I let them play something quiet while I read, they zone into what they are playing. Maybe I just need to find a different batch of books.:glare:

How many children? Are they staying quite?

Are you having them narrate afterwards? Maybe make it like a game show. :)

Let them have more say in what is read (more pictures or whatever--you can do something they choose & something you choose). Also, what time of day are you doing it? If before bedtime & they say they hate stories, I'd just say, "Ok, no stories, time for bed." Do your whole bedtime routine before stories & let stories be the last thing. If they think they are prolonging bedtime by listening to stories, they will probably change their tune!

Merry :-)