Menu

About to replace aluminum baking sheets. Replace with stainless or baking stones?

My old aluminum baking sheets need to be replaced and I have some Christmas gift money left over! :D

I was about to order some new stone bakeware from Pampered Chef but then read somewhere that there can be lead in stoneware. Sigh.... Should I replace with stainless steel? Or is the concern about lead in stoneware not correct.

And whatever you recommend, what is your favorite place to purchase either?

I have never heard of the lead in stoneware, but I definitely like stones for baking on. I love the Pampered Chef round stone with the buildt in handles...that is a great one and multi purpose for cookies, pizza, whatever. I would highly recommend it. I also have the rectangle one and jelly roll type stones from them. That is the way I would go.

I'm going for stainless next time I buy bakeware. With stoneware I worry about breakage. With Corningware type I worry about led in the glaze. With glass I worry about shattering/exploding. With aluminum I worry about aluminum leeching.

ETA: Stainless and cast iron. Lodge has some pieces that will replace some of my Corningware type dishes.

Edited by Parrothead

I will just say I have a 10pc stainless set and one piece of stoneware and the stone is the *only* thing I use for baking (besides my cast iron skillet--love that thing too!) I have the pizza stone w/ built in handles from pampered chef and it is seriously the only "pan" I ever use. I do like the stainless set for on the stove but if you're in the market for a new pan, get the stoneware. You will NOT regret it and honestly I do t see anyone ever needing more than one (unless you break one--my hubby was trying to flip the cornbread out of the cast iron skillet and onto the stone and slammed the skillet to the stone, cracking it into...just one reason testosterone doesn't belong in the kitchen!!!! ;))

I am new to this! Can you expound?

Stoneware generally will encourage a crisper crust. It retains heat very efficiently. For example, if I'm baking country-style (free form) bread or pizza, I wouldn't dream of using anything but my stoneware.

I use metal for loaves.

I have one stoneware round dish (a deep dish thing) that I have used for cinnamon rolls, but never for anything savory.

I use enameled cast iron (Le Creuset) for stove top cooking and roasting.

Yes, Le Creuset is on my wish list!!! I found out there was an outlet here in Houston, but upon reading discovered that the pieces sold at the outlet are made in China, not France. Sigh....And so I continue saving to get the real deal!

For a family of 5 is a 5 quart Dutch oven sufficient? I want to eventually get several pieces but saving for one to start.

I also want a nice convection toaster oven so I can stop using my microwave. Need to win the lottery!

I got a piece or 2 of stoneware from a dept store when we got married, and then recently added several PC pieces. The PC is soooooo much nicer. I only use those now. If you're going to do stoneware, I think PC is definitely the way to go. :)

• 2 months later...

Jen,

I've had *several* pieces of PC stoneware since our first year of marriage - 13 years ago. I have never had a problem with stoneware going rancid. I would agree with a PP: if you go with stoneware, go with quality like PC who stands by their product, known for quality, not a fly by night outfit.

LB