Menu

Freaking out here

Okay, through the whole plastics discussion I've been feeling pretty smug. We don't use many plastics, and I have made sure not to use them for hot liquids or to microwave in them for years. But. But. BUT! Tonight, I was filling the water jug that we keep in the fridge, and dh asked what number plastic is was, so we looked. 7. 7. Yep, that nasty one with the estrogen-mimicking compounds. I've always assumed this jug was of a better plastic because it didn't make the water taste bad. We've used it in our refrigerator for about, oh, five years. Maybe six. So, now that I may have poisoned my dc, after trying so hard not to, I'm a little stressed.

Also, I'm wondering, those of you who already figured this out about the refrigerator water jugs, what do you do to keep your water cold in the fridge? Is there a glass jug that will fit on the shelf with a spigot for pouring easily? Is there some other way to keep filtered water cold without using plastics (or those hard to clean, heavy, apple juice jugs)? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Is there a thread going on about this? Will you please post a link if there is? I've seen the discussion start on other boards but never spent the time to read them...

Thanks!

If you search for "plastic" in the general forum, you will find numerous threads re: plastic.

http://www.target.com/Siberia-Dispenser-2-8-gal/dp/B000GTFMNA/ref=sc_ri_4/602-6277349-9664621

It's the only one I have found that has the type of spigot I want (flip to open). The others I found online have spigots too far up the bottle, and they have to be turned to open and close. The dc wouldn't be able to do that very well without spilling. The drawback is, of course, that the spigot is plastic, and who knows what kind it is?

Other ideas would be most welcome!

We keep it in the refridgerator - I've never seen mold growth in it. It gets emptied frequently by my water-lovers.

OPK's (other people's kids) like to use it when they visit because of the spigot. Never had a problem with it.

K

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-35530-Ultramax-Dispenser/dp/B00009LHZH/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Nick's Mama-Zack's Mama, Too -

I looked at this link you posted: http://www.amazon.com/Brita-35530-Ul...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t It's plastic, though, right? What number plastic is it? If it's a better one, I suppose I should consider the option. I'd prefer to find something in glass, though, with a spigot close enough to the bottom that there's very little left before needing to tip the jug.

You know, I'm not freaking out but I was really annoyed when I went to Subway and they heated the philly steak meat for my sub in the microwave in a plastic deli type container!!! ARGH! Microwaving in cheap plastic is one area where I AM very diligent so that makes me wonder how many times I'm eating food like that without even knowing it. Blah.

Ah well, it's all in God's hands. lol

This is kind of a rabbit trail from the original post, but I'm posting it here because it may apply. I was going through my Anchor Hocking plastic lids (I bought some new containers today and the lids felt less flexible than the old lids), and the old lids are #7. So I got on the phone with their customer service asking if there were any replacement lids for these older lids because of my concern about BPAs. The gal I spoke to said that their lids were made from recycled plastic and did not contain BPAs, and they'd recently changed their label from #7 to #4 because of the confusion.

So, do all #7 plastics contain BPAs for sure? Or does it depend? Do I believe the Anchor Hocking customer service and keep using these lids?

They stand upright in the door or on the shelf and are very durable.

But they don't have a spigot.

Williams Sonoma used to have tall narrow glass pitchers made to fit in the door--about the size of a half gallon carton of milk. They had plastic covers, but those did not touch the beverage. I don't know whether they still have them, but I used to have one (until I broke it) and it was pretty nice. The pitcher didn't drip.

So, do all #7 plastics contain BPAs for sure? Or does it depend? Do I believe the Anchor Hocking customer service and keep using these lids?

I was just lurking around this board and saw this, so I thought I'd respond. No, according to Nalgene or Camelbak, #7 is a catch-all recycling number for all those plastics that don't fall into the other categories. Oh, here it is...on the camelbak website: http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

Gasp! :ack2:Something on the Today show was wrong?

Just something I discovered while looking for waterbottles for the summer.