Menu

So, today I'm strictly following a diet and my emotions are out of control

Have you thought of seeing a nutrionist? Perhaps have soming blood work done to see if there are other issues that might be affecting things? I saw a nutrionist a few years ago and it was very eye-opening and helpful. Perhaps having someone who can follow your diet with you would be helpful.

Have you thought of seeing a nutrionist? Perhaps have soming blood work done to see if there are other issues that might be affecting things? I saw a nutrionist a few years ago and it was very eye-opening and helpful. Perhaps having someone who can follow your diet with you would be helpful.

Good advice but I've already taken it:) I've seen 3 different nutritionists in the last few years. I've had bloodwork and supplementation for vitamin/mineral deficiencies and for a thyroid problem. I have 2 diet buddies (from this board:001_smile:) and I am part of the WTM Sparkspeople team.

I hate logging my food but I can see how it is helping me to make better choices.

Do you need to log every little nibble? Or is there a food formula you can follow?

Our breakfast formula is grains, beans, greens and a bit of fat.

This usually has me eating three flatbreads made from home ground wheat flour, a very generous helping of hommus (1/2 a cup, maybe more depending how hungry I am) containing a good slug of olive oil, or at least a quarter of an avocado if we're having some other kind of bean, and whatever greens are around.

With that, I have cured the SAD issues I've been having (winter will be the real test, of course, but I've had no problems for the past three weeks or so, but it took two months of this breakfast regime,) I'm sleeping better, I function better after those nights I don't get to sleep properly and I'm a much happier and more productive Rosie.

I need grains, or I go rampaging angrily through the kitchen trying to eat anything remotely junky. I need the fat or I go rampaging almost as angrily through the kitchen trying to eat anything remotely junky. I do fare better if I'm getting some of my carbs from the legumes, because they also contain the required protein so I don't make myself sluggish the way I would eating all my required carbs in grain format. The more nutrient or hormonally deficient (I'm thinking serotonin here) the touchier your system will be when you don't give your bod what it wants.

And make sure you chew properly. *wags finger in a lecturing sort of way*

I expect I'd be even more brilliant (:tongue_smilie:)if I followed that formula for both lunch and dinner too, but one step at a time :)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

I am in the camp that needs protein as well, lots of it and do best w/ a very, very low carb in breakfast. I do better w/ carbs w/ my supper more. I ate grain free as well- it gives me more energy, better mood and cured my persistent insomnia(among other things). I think we are all individual though and sounds like you are figuring out how you need to tweak things for yourself.

Do you need to log every little nibble? Or is there a food formula you can follow?

Technically speaking, I don't have to log anything!;) I have a basic food formula that I am trying to follow - 5 small meals with veggies and protein and a small amount of grains (though this is optional) at every meal. But the portions were starting to creep out of control. I doubt I'll log my food for ever but I need to get a better sense of how much I'm supposed to be eating for those meals. And I needed a better sense of how much protein was needed. Once I have that sense to the point where I don't have to think so hard about it, then I figure I'll just spot check my calories every now and then.