Menu

Dr. Who - where to begin?

I would say to watch the "new" Doctor Who -- the one from this century. Start with the ninth doctor, Christopher Eccleston. It will really make a difference later on, when there are references to things while you're watching David Tennant's tenth doctor.

It really won't matter if you don't start that way, but imo it will make the series more enjoyable when you understand the back stories.

Definitely start with the 9th Doctor. The production quality, story lines, etc., are so different than the older doctors. If you fall in love, go back and watch. I'm not a fan of pre-2000 Dr. Who at all. (and of course, then my hubby says that I'm not a true fan LOL).

Definitely start with the 9th Doctor. The production quality, story lines, etc., are so different than the older doctors. If you fall in love, go back and watch. I'm not a fan of pre-2000 Dr. Who at all. (and of course, then my hubby says that I'm not a true fan LOL).

DH and I used to watch the old ones before the new ones were ever made, so we are used to them. But they're somewhat campy, so it's hard to want to bother with them.

The new ones are much more sleek (we've come a long way in tv in the past 50 years...) I would recommend as above: watch the new ones first, then go back and watch the ones. They bring you up to speed on everything you need to know about the doctor when they started the series back up.

Have fun! But prepare to become obsessed. Once you start, you won't want to stop.

Tell me about it. :001_rolleyes: My daughter and I started the week after Christmas with the Eccelston season mentioned and we're over the moon obsessed about it.

It's been some really great tv, plus daughter and I are having some good girl bonding time over David Tennant.;)

I grew up with Dr Who, but I agree with those who say start with the "new" ones - the Eccleston ones.

They're very circular, though, in that something will be mentioned early in one season, then come up again a bit later, and then finally come up and be concluded in the next season. Or so. So, I'd start at the start with Eccleston, and watch in order.

Min