Menu

What do you use to teach music?

Katiebug_1976

Is there a good curriculum out there that teaches basic music? I took piano for 6 years while growing up and you would think I could just teach my kids the basic stuff from my own memory, but life is so crazy right now that I need a book or something to keep me in line. I have put music off for too long. My kids are interested in learning and time is running out for my oldest. I think it is important, at the very least, for them to be able to read music & know what the different symbols mean. I would love to hear what you use for teaching the basics.

I just ordered the first lesson book from Alfred's Basic Piano Library. It's a very basic, VERY beginner book. My son is only 11 and has never been exposed to music before. I also had piano lessons as a child, so I should be able to guide him fairly well. There are other books in this series that you may find more appropriate. You can look at their site or check them out on Amazon. Since I haven't tried it yet, I guess the jury's still out, but it looks pretty good.

I have yet to see a music curric that I *LOVE.*

I think starting off with piano is a good idea. Pianimals for the littles and Alfred for the biggers. Have them sing along as they learn.

I'm NOT a pianist, by any stretch of the imagination, but my degree is Music Ed. vocal. I need to get about the business of writing a fantastic music curric for homeschoolers...it would be awesome to have something that incorporated piano/singing/theory/ear training/music history all in one neat and tidy package...sigh...

Hmmm... For a HS mom with piano experience to teach her own kids, I would say Faber and Faber.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=faber+and+faber+piano+books&sprefix=faber+and+faber+piano+books

I have not liked the Alfred books, I think they tend to be filled with a lot of "busy work" and not enough solid music technic and theory.

I like the way F&F teaches music theory, it is thorough, and easy to follow if you aren't a professional musician. Of course, the best way to teach them music would be to get private lessons from someone with a music degree, but there is only so much time and money! :)

I have Keyboard Capers http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Capers-Music-Theory-Children/dp/0898260515 I think it's really good, but I didn't get very far with it, probably because it's more hands-on, and I didn't put priority on it.

Since music theory wasn't getting done, I bought Music Ace Deluxe http://harmonicvision.com/ which is a software program. We've gotten much farther by using this and I'm very pleased with what they are learning. They can do it on their own which is a big plus. My kids are 6th and 8th grades and although some of it may be a tiny bit silly for them, it's working well. There is a lot of review, the opportunity to practice rhythm, learn notes, beats and all sorts of things.

My daughter started with a teacher with Alfred, I didn't like it. I'm now teaching her with Music Tree, someone here recommended it and I really like how it is set up.

I just bought some basic note and time signature flash cards and don't buy the workbooks, we get that done with the flash cards. Less fun but cheaper and more efficient.

Here's one of the later ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Tree-Students-Book-Summy/dp/0874876885/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295331153&sr=8-1

Book 1 is available but kind of hard to find, you have to type in different things. I also got the primer, it's a nice start for young children.

Hmmm... For a HS mom with piano experience to teach her own kids, I would say Faber and Faber.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_27?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=faber+and+faber+piano+books&sprefix=faber+and+faber+piano+books

:iagree:

My DD is using their Primer book with her piano teacher...and she and I are doing the theory book that goes with it on our own. She loves it.

I bought three "primer" piano programs, lol. They got through half of one book but neither had any interest. I played since I was 8 so I was bummed, but both my kids begged for music lessons that same year...just another instrument!??!?

Dh said yes and so my son takes ukulele lessons from a wonderful teacher who has trained with the best. Apparently allowing this indulgence was worth it...the guy says in 3 years my ds will be beyond him and have to go travel to conferences for training.

Dd picked up violin at the same time and I kinda blew off her teachers gushing, but her new teacher said the same stuff....in 4 years she will be playing easily with the youth symphonies in our area.

Both apparently play by ear. It explains why they hated the piano books. they could hear it once, play it, and never read the music :tongue_smilie:

My dh was right...this was one time to indulge their interest and see what ability they had. I am glad we did. I personally wanted to wait years to consider private lessons. But I can see now how God is blessing them with this talent and how it will be something to bless them in their future....as a music scholarship or ability to teach lessons for income. I quit my lessons just before college and had the mindset music wouldn't bring me a career and I regret that decision to this day. I was a teen who quit everything one year....so we are trying to encourage our kids to try their interests but commit when they find something they love.

My kids still like sports but we do not do competitive leagues simply b/c we learned it wasn't their interest. Or ability :001_huh:

back to your question....how do I teach music? I taught them scales and how to read music. We study composers and learn hymns. And now the bulk of their music is private lessons. My ds is learning more about diminished scales and 7ths and 12ths that I have no clue what they heck he's doing anymore, lol.

I can say that I now encourage people whose kids want to try a musical instrument to TRY IT. I mean who would have thought a 6 year old begging to play violin knew she would be good? I sure didn't, lol. I played cello for 6 years and even I wasn't open to the cost of private lessons until now...a year later when I can see how it's been such a good thing. We went to sing at a nursing home this winter and brought our instruments not expecting to play. but the music people didn't show and my kids were able to pull out their instruments and accompany the group singing carols. It was one of those moments that makes a momma proud!

IF they hadn't done well we would have stopped. I encouraged both to stop this fall when practice lagged but both made the choice to keep at it and are back at it with full vigor.

but I think the basics did at home did them a great service. read music. play some simple songs on the piano. And if they have ANY interest in an instrument try it out. You never know.

I always thought we would be sports people......oh well :lol:

But to me music was fun and easy to teach.

I have yet to see a music curric that I *LOVE.*

I think starting off with piano is a good idea. Pianimals for the littles and Alfred for the biggers. Have them sing along as they learn.

I'm NOT a pianist, by any stretch of the imagination, but my degree is Music Ed. vocal. I need to get about the business of writing a fantastic music curric for homeschoolers...it would be awesome to have something that incorporated piano/singing/theory/ear training/music history all in one neat and tidy package...sigh...

Oh, yes please do! And let me know when it is finished!! :D

Music lessons! My oldest DS is currently taking guitar lessons. His teacher, who was also homeschooled, is taking it upon himself to teach both boys music theory in addition to guitar lessons.

Seriously though, if your kiddos took piano lessons or you taught them piano at home they would learn all the notes, signs, etc as they go.

The music tree series has theory and a bit of how to improvise worked right into the books, that's one reason I like them. Also, they force you to really learn the notes, they move around the keyboard, unlike most books, where you hang out in one place and a child can learn by position instead of by note.

Mrs Stewart's Piano - there are 3 books, the preschool one teaches songs and guides you in teaching notes and scales. In the 1st year book the student can play scales, chords and transpose before learning to read music. (We haven't reached the 2nd book yet.) They have this really cool card to mark off scales too. I've learned a lot from it.

Amy

Both of mine have done some of Kinderbach (but that is below the ages of your older kids) My younger dd is still doing Kinderbach at co-op.

Both use Rod and Staff music worksheets and we do the flashcards. We have always done these. They do some beginning theory. It picks up more in Growing with Music, the 4th/5th grade book.

We use What Your X Grader Needs to Know for an outline for music appreciation and songs to learn. (And now we are going to do a unit on Bach because we are in the chapter of SOTW3 in Prussia)

We just started with Alfred's basic piano here too. My older dd plays be ear, and needs lessons, but we can't do it right now. Instead I got her this book for Christmas and we are working through it together (more slowly w/my younger dd) She knows a lot of the beginning stuff, but it gets into stuff she doesn't know on her own.

Both use Rod and Staff music worksheets and we do the flashcards. We have always done these. They do some beginning theory. It picks up more in Growing with Music, the 4th/5th grade book.

Thank you for mentioning this. I just bought the Rod and Staff music 1 book and was curious if anyone else uses it. I'm not a music teacher but this looked doable with a six year old and my older dd who is just learning note reading in Suzuki violin.

I took piano for 6 years as a youth (other instruments for longer) and have dabbled since. I started teaching my daughter from the Faber books (Piano Adventures Primer Level) last fall when she was 6, and it's been going great.

They have an online teaching guide with videos that will give you some ideas how to teach the Primer Level @ http://pianoadventures.com/guide/contents.html. I would recommend the Lesson, Performance, and Technique & Artistry book, but not the Theory book.

I second the votes for Music Ace, Music Tree and Faber and Faber books (Try My First Piano Adventures, it comes with a CD to play along with and is lots of fun) if your child likes to move quickly and isn't overstimulated by bright colors. For the more studious, go for Music Tree.

Be aware of the different approaches to teaching reading. Music Tree teaches your child to read intervallically (it creates strong, confident readers). Piano Adventures uses an eclectic approach (a combination of middle c position and intervallic reading).

In the end, the most important part of learning music is consistent practice and support.

I'm a piano teacher by training (Bachelor in Performance and MM in Piano Pedagogy) and use Music Tree for my daughter and recommend it for the most serious (meaning personality, not potential) students.

Hope this helps!

Here's a link to the schedule I used with my 5yr old for the first book of the Music Tree series. I'll be posting the schedule for Part 1 eventually. If you want to see it, let me know and I'll post it soon.

http://www.joyfullynoisy.net