Menu

if something happened to you....

We've got a large life insurance policy for me (Dh's is about twice mine) so that dh can afford to pay someone to care for the kids if I died. His parents live with us, so I think he would do what he could to have his mom be their primary care giver. She is amenable to that idea if he pays for a housekeeper.

Just this past October, we upped my life insurance so it will be high enough to put both boys in private school, afterschool care (if necessary), hire a maid, put them through a fairly expensive college, and still continue with sports, clothing, food, etc. For the longest time, I would have grave anxiety over what would happen to my boys if I were to die. Now that the insurance is in place, I truly do sleep better at night.

Now, as for the boys' emotional states... I do still worry about that. I have my sister nearby and close friends (esp. from church) who would keep an eye on them, so I feel somewhat reassured that they will be okay. I do believe God works everything for our good, so I try to trust in him for their futures (with me alive or dead).

Well, we HAD life insurance on both of us (equal), and the plan was that the surviving parent would work FT and the kids would enroll in private school.

Now that we no longer have life insurance... it'd possibly be private school, possibly public. You do what you've got to do. And yes, getting through each day would be hard regardless of what school they went to. I would move, dh would consider moving. Moving not because of the area (we love it here), but there's no way I'm caring for acreage on my own.

It cost $1,000 to cremate my dad. My mil's casket alone cost $10,000. Horrible waste of money, imo.

Have you heard about the "green" burials? No casket, from what I understand.

Of course, I haven't researched it. I should before I comment like this, shouldn't I? :)

I do know, though, you can buy a casket at Costco, too. :D "Then everyone will know you buried your loved one in a Cosket.":D

I have some unconventional ideas on burials. We'll probably have a family plot here on our land, no caskets, no funeral home. Just have someone come out and dig a hole 6ft deep every time we need one.

I have some unconventional ideas on burials. We'll probably have a family plot here on our land, no caskets, no funeral home. Just have someone come out and dig a hole 6ft deep every time we need one.

Should dh predecease me, I plan on waking him in the front room, cremating him and scattering his ashes in our woods. (I've told him to do the same with me.) His family will be absolutely gobsmacked! :D

Have you heard about the "green" burials? No casket, from what I understand.

Of course, I haven't researched it. I should before I comment like this, shouldn't I? :)

I do know, though, you can buy a casket at Costco, too. :D "Then everyone will know you buried your loved one in a Cosket.":D

not sure if this is legal everywhere. Some places require vaults. Yes, you can buy caskets at walmart too. My dad was researching bargains on caskets on the internet; they are on ebay too.

Should dh predecease me, I plan on waking him in the front room, cremating him and scattering his ashes in our woods. (I've told him to do the same with me.) His family will be absolutely gobsmacked! :D

we joked about hauling my mom's coffin to the gravesite in the back of my dad's pickup with all the grandkids riding on top of it.

saving the cost of the hearse and limo for the family. :lol::lol::lol:

None of my business... but you really should talk about this and make sure he does have it unless you're prepared to go to work and can earn a living wage. I know people who had no life insurance when a spouse died unexpectedly. It wasn't pretty: loss of home, no income, etc. I understand it's not easy, but it's not morbid; it's reality.

I have 2 friends who have lost their husbands in the last 9 months - neither of whom had life insurance. Both were self-employed. One friend is doing better than the other because she attends a megachurch and she had 3 children(now 4, she found out she was pregnant they day before her husband died). I guess she is getting benefits from SS from before her husband was self-employed? The other family is not faring as well, but they don't homeschool and they have only one child. Regardless, the stress on the families has been horrible.

PLEASE everyone make sure you have life insurance!!

If something happened to me, I'm sure the kids would go to public school. The local school district is the best in the area. I can't stand the thought of my kids losing their mom AND being shipped off to school all at once. But my husband is a great dad and would do everything he could to make it work. We're in the process of getting enough insurance on me to cover burial and childcare costs, but honestly I hope DH would remarry quickly. He'd have a very hard time being a single dad.

If we both died at the same time, the family who will raise them would probably homeschool them, they're already homeschooling their 3. They'd have 7 kids ranging from 10 to 4 if something happened today. Our insurance will include $$ for weekly therapy and lots of chocolate. :001_smile:

Dh and I have never had that sort of..morbid.. discussion. I don't know anything about life insurance. I think he has something like that through his workplace - I remember him having some paperwork or something.

None of my business... but you really should talk about this and make sure he does have it unless you're prepared to go to work and can earn a living wage. I know people who had no life insurance when a spouse died unexpectedly. It wasn't pretty: loss of home, no income, etc. I understand it's not easy, but it's not morbid; it's reality.

It's just not something that we can really talk about. Neither of us handle thoughts about death very well at all. I'm pretty sure there was something in the papers when he first started with this company.

If something *did* happen . . I'd take the kids and go live with family. I can't even think about this. But yeah, family.

I have a life insurance policy on me that will allow dh to hire a live-in nanny. When we first talked about it, he assured me it would be an old, old lady. :lol: I told him that my friend will choose her. She's just like me, so knows exactly what I'd approve of, and in fact, I will be doing the same favour for her should she go before her children are raised. The live-in nanny will be young and love the kids and maybe in time sparks will fly. Hey, I'll be dead, might as well let them all have a second chance for happiness. :D

:grouphug: To both of you.

Do you know if the dementia was caused by ministrokes or similar brain events? That's the case in my family history and I'm hoping by doing what I can to reduce stroke (and related) things might protect me. I hope.

My mom didn't have mini strokes, her sister DID have a stroke, and I'm not sure about their parents. I've suffered many concussions in my later years, one life altering. I feel that I'm pretty much destined to end up like my mom but cling to the hope that perhaps my extremely healthy lifestyle and supplements will at least help.