Menu

To co-op or not to co-op that is the question...

Jennefer@SSA

I have been going around and around in my mind the pros and cons of a co-op for us next year. I was wondering how many of you do co-ops and what are the benefits as well as some of the negatives. I am hoping the experience of you all here can help me make my decision. I need some clarity.

Ds7 will be in second grade next year, and I have 2 co-ops I am looking at: an academic co-op that meets on Mondays from 8:30-3:15 (mornings cover core subjects and afternoons are electives) or a music co-op that meets on Thursdays from 8:30-12:00.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I too have considered co-ops for next year for a couple of things I want the kids to have in their lessons, but with the price of gas going up and nothing being close by it's on the 'another year' list for now. I thought a co-op class here and there would be fun and give the kids that classroom lesson of another adult teaching them ;-) I personally feel comfortable teaching most subjects at this age and know we don't NEED it, but if gas weren't so high we would consider a music class and maybe a fun language class.

I have been going around and around in my mind the pros and cons of a co-op for us next year. I was wondering how many of you do co-ops and what are the benefits as well as some of the negatives. I am hoping the experience of you all here can help me make my decision. I need some clarity.

Ds7 will be in second grade next year, and I have 2 co-ops I am looking at: an academic co-op that meets on Mondays from 8:30-3:15 (mornings cover core subjects and afternoons are electives) or a music co-op that meets on Thursdays from 8:30-12:00.

Thanks so much for sharing!

This is such a personal decision for each family. Every year we weigh carefully what we give up with what we gain from our co-op. We give up two days a week, which is A TON and it makes the other 3 days at our house very full and structured. (They do math and spanish on co-op days.) At this stage I feel that it is worth it for what they get. It is partially worth it to us, because it is my job and I get paid well to teach there (it is a public school co-op). But, there are intangibles that my kids are getting that I find VERY valuable. The friendships have been a wonderful thing, the classroom experience is fun for them, the (oh dare I say it....)socialization is even positibe. I also LOVE their teachers and the writing and science that they get there is great!! They also get music, sign language and PE, which are things I can't do at home in the same way.

So, you just have to weigh those things and you might not know until you try it what you gain or give up. But, we have had a very positive experience with our co-op!

Edited to add: I would only want a co-op teaching "core subjects" if it were a supplementary thing. For example, the writing and science they get just round out what we are doing at home, but don't try and replace it. I prefer the elective types of classes that I can't do as well at home.

I buy outside classes, co-op or otherwise, based purely on whether or not I can provide that class myself.

If I can easily teach it at home, I do so.

If I cannot teach it with excellence at home, I buy an outside class.

Here's what we do out of the home and why:

Latin--I don't know Latin, and this is a free resource for dd to learn.

Sports--I am just not good about following up with this, though dh does work with the kids quite a bit. I like the kids to learn group sports from a group setting. If $$$ were tight, sports instruction would be the first to go and dh would be even more hands-on in this area.

Bible study--I teach this to a small group of girls, specifically because I wanted dd to articulate what she learns to her peers, and I wanted her to have peers with whom to pray or be emotionally vulnerable. I consider the group class to be a luxury--while we value it I consider it expendable.

Music lessons--The only thing I am equipped to teach is singing. We seek outside lessons for instruments.

Art lessons--I can provide exposure to various art media, but am not equipped to teach technique. I like being able to hire experts to help in this area.

All of the above I consider to be expendable, and that I could replace them within our own home somehow.

What is not expendable:

Spanish--I do not speak Spanish, so we have to have a tutor. Dh's Spanish is passable but not expert, so he is best used in this area for practice rather than instruction. We want our children to achieve a high level of fluency, so a tutor is a must.

Science labs--I am absolutely terrible about hands-on science. I can teach the information competently but just hate doing experiments. I presently use a co-op class to cover this area. If that were not available for some reason I would probably hire a teenager to come do experiments at my house.

Not to prescribe, just to share...

We participate in a 5-family co-op one day a week. There are 19 total siblings, but the co-op activities are geared toward the 12 dc in the pre-k-1st grade range. The older siblings help; the younger siblings just glean and participate in the Circle Time activites. Our learning is geared toward hands-on science.

Philosophically, we aimed to create a group in which kids could form bonds of friendship and provide positive group dynamic experiences from which to learn how to get a long with others. All the moms participate; although, we take turns being the main teacher. Academically, we wanted to choose an area of satudy that would be supplemental and complementary to what we all are doing at home- we didn't want to interfere with home studies. We want the kids to have fun and spend productive learning time together.

The only cost is for the learning materials each unit, which has ranged from nothing to $15.00 per child. We do about 3 different units a semester and mix in holiday-related activities.

A big bonus is support system the moms provide to each other. After our co-op activities we all have lunch, and then the kids play. There is plenty of time for us all to chat, encourage, and challenge each other. We (the moms) also go out in the evening together about once a month.

For us, this has been an ideal arrangement. It required a lot of time and effort to find the right group of people and get the organization going, but our co-op has been a rich blessing to us all.

I would highly encourage positive consideration of joining or creating a co-op based on our experience, but I would also recommend a small group rather than a large organization.

HTH!

Warmly,

We feel like we can cover core subjects just fine at home so when we look at co-ops we are looking for fun, elective, and social outlets.

Currently, we are involved in a Friday group where we read books, have show and tell, crafts and co-operative games and then go and play at a local park for 2 hours.

This has been great for us and really fits what we were wanting in an outside class and that has basically been social connections and the ability to make friends.

You need to decide what you are wanting in outside classes and make a decision based on that.

I did a co-op which I left before Christmas. It was 2 days/week, and I loved having those two days to myself. However, it didn't work out socially so we left. Also, before the social issues arose, I found that I used it basically for day care - I wasn't that impressed with the subject matter. And the 3 days that we had to do our own work - WOW!! it was really busy.

This next year, I'm trying to do school with my ds 4 days/week, and have the 5th day to myself, or for field trips. I really hope it will work out. So, in summary, make sure that the co-op covers what you want (or else you will be overwhelmed on non-co-op days). Good Luck!

for the fun and fellowship. We have met so many like-minded families and it is wonderful to be able to support one another in our homeschool ministry.

I don't give a whit about the academic part - we are in it for the fellowship. :grouphug:

Our co-op also plans field trips, has a yearbook and "school" type pictures, seasonal parties, and Mom's support group and book clubs. All in all, LOVE it! Of course, the upside and downside of co-ops is that there are people there, and not one of us is perfect. There is always room for growth, but we love co-op!

The advantage of a larger co-op is that you get a break from teaching for a day, and have a few hours to hang out with your new girlfriends! It's nice.

This is our first time in a co-op and so far we are having a good experience.

There were 4 classes offered and we chose just 2 to get a feel for it and to keep cost down (money is real tight right now) but I wish we did sign up for all.

I didn't sign my dd up b/c i didn't or couldn't teach the subjects(even though it is nice) but rather for a "social" aspect to our HS. I find that going to the co-op once a week for a couple of hours saves time and gas then going to different classes all over town at different times of the week. We also only have one car at the moment so I am able to have my dh take off on co-op day so that I don't have to drop him off across town to get the car......

At this moment in our Hsing journey it is beneficial for us however things may change in the future. As long as we have more positives then negatives we will keep attending.

my 2 cents,

Kate

I was concerned that being in a co-op would be too big of a committment since it would be all day. However, I did some researching where I live and found several that have worked really well for us! One of the co-ops meets once a month at a library. The lady who put it together actually does all the work, she plans the events and brings all the materials needed, all you do is show up and stay with your child to help them with whatever had been planned. I offered to help, but she really enjoys putting everything together. In fact, people offered to help pay for some of the materials and she refused!

The other co-op I am in meets in peoples homes. My son was involved with in a Geography Club that met every 1st and 3rd wednesday from 1:30-3:30. Basically, one mom would stay and help out. The second meeting all moms would prepare a food that went with whatever country was being studied. Everyone else was free to do whatever. My son also did finger math on Mondays for 1 hour (I stayed for that). What I loved was I could pick and choose what to do and it didn't take up my entire day!

I would suggest to search and see what all the options are where you live. I was actually surprised to find co-ops that didn't fit with what I thought in my head they would be. :001_smile:

Our co-op experience sounds much like Tami's - and I wouldn't trade Thursdays at co-op for much of anything. The co-op to which we belong is rapidly growing. This is our 1st year and I understand that the group doubled in size from last year. I believe that there are now well over 100 students, from pre-k all the way through hs. DD#1 is just 6, and she takes sign language (just for fun), PE and science (perfect since science has been the 1st to go when we are low on time this year). My youngest takes PE with her big sister, and tries to knit with mama in the afternoons. Both of my DDs love co-op and have made some wonderful friends there. I think it's good for them and we will continue to make the 25 min. drive next year. I'm even slated to teach a great books class for the younger elementary kids!

The other part I love-love-love is the Mama time. Our co-op day runs 10:00-2:00 (there are classes that start earlier and run later, however). From 10:00-11:00 I get to visit with other Mamas. At 11:00 we have a Mom's meeting, which is usually a program 2x/mo, a prayer-and-share 1x/ mo. and an unstructured discussion time 1x/mo. At noon, we eat lunch with the children (1x/mo is pizza day) and then at 1:00 I get to knit and crochet!!! :D A group of mamas gets together in a classroom and we all sit and knit or crochet for an hour. It is so relaxing and I just love the friendships I have made this year.

The only downside is that we need to keep school to 4 days/wk. in order to do co-op. It's not that difficult at my DDs ages, but I can foresee a problem down the road.

All-in-all I love our co-op and so do the girls, so we will continue for the foreseeable future!

Jennifer,

Are you the one who e-mailed me about the music co-op many months ago? If so, you know that I can speak to the music co-op.

IMO, unless you live really close to the music co-op, I wouldn't do it, at least not until your dc is older. It has been great for my older two kids, but they are 5th and 6th graders and the co-op is a really inexpensive way for them to be introduced to instruments--your dc7 wouldn't do band/strings for another year, (and I am thinking of making my 8 yo wait and mature another year). I wouldn't do it if I only had younger children...my younger two are really just there because I have to be there...unless, like I said, you live really close. :auto:

Just to clarify, the classes have been good for my younger two kids, too, but not necessary, IMO, and as we live a 50 minute drive away, I certainly wouldn't go all that way for them to learn to sing some songs. Yes, they are learning to read music, too, but that is really not that important until they begin learning an instrument. For me at those ages, just listening to various types of music and singing together (you know like "America" or those other songs we all learned in elementary school chior) are sufficient.

You can e-mail me off list if you want to discuss things further.

I would join a co-op but we don't have one in our area . I have to travel either 35 miles one way or 20 the other and in the winter time and living in the snow belt and gas being so high we don't have the luxury of having a co-op . Unfortunatley at this time in my life I don't have the time to start one up myself either .

But if you have the opportunity and it will free you up just a little then why not ?

We have a local Christian Private School that believes in homeschooling as much as they do their own private school education. The principal homeschooled for many years as well. DD7 will be going one day a week next year from 9-2:30. She is in a class that is K-2nd and usually contains about 15 kids. She will have a science class (each year is different focus but next year will be the ZOOm experiements), history (SOTW maps, discussions, and projects), music and art. The benefit for our family is that dd gets to interact in a setting other than church with kids her age and more importantly kids that are homeschooled as well. She gets recess time with them and lunch on top of the class schedule. I also see it beneficial that she gets to have teachers other than Mom. One day she will anyway (not sure if that will be 3rd grade or college). She got to participate in a musical and a history and art fair and even won a second place ribbon for her history project. I couldn't do this at home. It also gives me some time to spend with my younger child and gives her some time AWay from him!!! The negatives: it is one day I don't have to get our work done. So my dream of a four day school week is pretty much shot. Can't take Fridays off anymore. It cost money in tutition and gas. And since their history is only 1 day a week I have to supplement at home so its not like I don't have to teach that subject.

We did the co-op for 1/2 day this year and my dd can't wait to be there all day next year. She has had some trouble bonding with the other girls that live much closer to the co-op and attend same church etc. But for the most part she loves it there and so we will continue.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jennefer,

I am a bit uptight about my dc's curriculum. :) But here is what my kids will be taking at co-op next year.

DD10 Fifth grade

Core

Total Language Plus 5th/6th (At home I'll have her doing CW Poetry A)

Math at home

TOG Ancients logic (lite) at home (MFW Geography at co-op)

Apologia Zoology 5th/6th (co-op)

Enrichment

Art lessons (Right now we take art 1 day per week on Tuesdays. It'll save time to do this at co-op)

P.E. (Co-op and home)

Drama (if they offer it or whatever she chooses)

Non-co-op classes include

Spanish

Latin

Piano

For my ds8 (third grade)

Core

Total Language Plus 3rd/4th (At home CW Poetry A)

Math at home

TOG Ancients grammar(lite) at home (MFW Geography at co-op)

Apologia Zoology 3rd/4th (co-op)

Enrichment

Art lessons (Right now we take art 1 day per week on Tuesdays. It'll save time to do this at co-op)

P.E. (Co-op and home)

Drama (if they offer it or whatever he chooses)

Non-co-op classes include

Spanish

Latin

Piano

Now that we've moved from a Friday co-op to a Monday co-op, I feel as if we're gaining a day. My dh can teach since he is off on Fridays. Tuesday-Thursday we'll do co-op homework and our other subjects. Fridays will be Spanish with Dad, Latin, or family field trips.

Also, now that my dd10 is older, she needs someone other than me to be accountable to. I like that co-op gives me an opportunity to see her function out from under my wings. She has to learn from and answer to someone else. It's a chance for her to grow a little bit.

Good Luck with your decision!

We have been members of an academic co-op since I pulled my dd's from PS 4 years ago. It has been a blessing. They have a social outlet which is very important to them. It has been great for me too as I love being around like minded folks.

My ds takes mostly enrichment classes as I can teach what he needs at home. My dd's take classes that I cannot teach at home or think would be better done in a classroom setting. To me there is huge benefit in having them take sciences and work with a lab partner. I also like having them take writing classes and foreign languages as well. I think it is good for the kids to have different teachers and experience different teaching styles.

The only downside for us is that we lose a day at home. As another poster said, the days we do have at home are filled with completing assignments for co-op and getting the things done we need to here. This year my 9th grade dd is taking classes at two different co-ops so life is even more interesting.

I hope this helps with the decision process. Belonging to a co-op has been a great experience for us.

Blessings