Menu

6th Grade Secular Science Curriculum

mtomseth

Hello, I am looking for a secular science curriculum for my 6th grade son.

We are just beginning to homeschool him in partnership with a public online school.

Throughout his school years he has been apathetic towards science. His grades have been mediocre in this subject

I like what I've read/seen inregards to the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey curriculum but it looks like its intended for 5th grade or younger students.

What I would really like is to find a curriculum that would help him become interested and excited about learning science.

I work full-time from home so also need a curriculum that has a solid lesson plan and teaching guides.

I appreciate any/all recommendations! Thanks in advance.

Secular science is a challenge. We used Science Explorer for 6th-7th-8th grade in conjunction with TOPS and Exploration Education for more hands-on learning. I also work from home 30hrs/wk. Dh and I shared the science duties with me covering Science Explorer and him doing the hands-on programs 1x per week.

"interested and excited about learning science" - I don't know that Science Explorer will do that. TOPS and EE were more fun, but lack any sort of real discussion.

CPO is another middle school science program that gets positive reviews. Here are some threads:

CPO vs Science Explorer

Secular Science?

Middle school science - CPO or Science Explorer

What are my options for secular jr high science?

Excellent Secular Middle School Science Program

Thoughts on secular middle school science

HTH! If nothing else, it ought to keep you busy. ;)

We have homeschooled all along and tried numerous science curriculums but found our home with Oak Meadow. Oak Meadow doesn't take sides and is secular. It is also accredited.

The texts are written to the child with questions and activities for the child to do. There are also tests. Oak Meadow has been writing and selling curriculum to the homeschooling community since their school closed in the 70's and they seem to have it all worked out.

We really enjoy it. For 6th grade the topic is biology with time spent on animals, plants and humans.:001_smile:

Don't forget to check out Exploration Education for physical science. My ds is very much looking forward to this one and I think we'll do the intermediate level in grade 6.

DS9/almost 10 is working through a Snap Circuts set for our science right now & he really enjoys it! We will definately be doing another set of these during the summer! :) He is a VERY hands-on/mechanical thinker so I'm really looking for programs that incorperate lots of hands-on activity.

I'm subbing to this b/c I have the same concerns about the RSO-Chem that I'd planned for next year (grade 5) & would be interested in a more logic-stage level chemistry program if there is one available.

We have homeschooled all along and tried numerous science curriculums but found our home with Oak Meadow. Oak Meadow doesn't take sides and is secular. It is also accredited.

The texts are written to the child with questions and activities for the child to do. There are also tests. Oak Meadow has been writing and selling curriculum to the homeschooling community since their school closed in the 70's and they seem to have it all worked out.

We really enjoy it. For 6th grade the topic is biology with time spent on animals, plants and humans.:001_smile:

I second Oak Meadow. 6th grade is Life science and my son is enjoying it very much :)

I second Oak Meadow. 6th grade is Life science and my son is enjoying it very much :)

I third Oak Meadow. I love Oak Meadow in general, period (we used the whole curriculum for 4th grade last year, and for 5th this year, and will be using it for 6th next year for my daughter and K next year for my son).

My daughter loves Oak Meadow's 5th Grade Environmental Science in particular and I'm sure whatever they have for 6th will be just as good. OM is great, and secular!

The AMerican Chemical Society has a what looks to be great, middle school chemistry curriculum. It's available free for download and the experiments seem doable at home.

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

There is a thread about it at the Logic Stage Subforum. Correlano was gracious enough to post a complete supply list that you can copy and print out.

We're using Singapore, it's ok, but I'm not thrilled. It is sorta basic and very dry. Doesn't go into depth enough for me.

If you are already science heavy, CPO might be too easy/basic - but the texts do look good.

If you have not been science heavy and need to start somewhere fund - the Evan Moor science books are a lot of fun, and are good for multi-level teaching. I think they are for 4th-6th, we really enjoyed them. Not real in depth - but a lot of hands on, and a very good base.

The AMerican Chemical Society has a what looks to be great, middle school chemistry curriculum. It's available free for download and the experiments seem doable at home.

http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/

There is a thread about it at the Logic Stage Subforum. Correlano was gracious enough to post a complete supply list that you can copy and print out.

I'll second this one. I've been doing it with my oldest two this year. We have only positive things to say about it. The couple experiments we weren't able to find the proper supplies for had videos or animations demonstrating it for us.

Singapore's My Pals Are Here is secular and wonderful. We're finishing up 3/4 and plan to do 5/6 next. For 5/6 there are four themes, so you can choose two that your child is more interested in (or get all 4 because they are so good LOL). The textbook and activity book are the minimum for each theme, but I think the homework and Higher Order Thinking Skills books are worth it. The homework and HOTS books can be separated and then the pages filed in the correct places in the activity books, which makes it open-and-go.