Menu

Does anyone have German Shepherds?

We are considering getting a puppy this spring and I was curious as to what we can expect with this particular breed. My DH and I had Dobermans before, so we're used to large breed dogs. :)

I would imagine they shed a lot and chew like crazy, right?

What is a good quality food?

Do they require a lot of exercise?

What is their personality like in general?

Anything else I should know? :)

My GSD is a great dog. She's very patient and tolerant with the kids; territorial enough so that she never wants to get too far from us, as on a walk; communicates her needs clearly; not jumpy or barky; very smart. Her major drawback is that she is very intense, and very closely bonded to us--so if we leave her with MIL, eg, for the weekend, it takes her several weeks to recover her emotional equanimity. Bottom line, they need a "job" and since her job is caring for us, it's hard for her if we leave her.

She does shed quite a bit, but was never a terribly chewy pup--some, but not a ton. We feed all our dogs Blue Buffalo food, which has been very good for us and them, though pricey.

They need a reasonable amount of exercise--2 or 3 good walks daily. Ours doesn't get that in the winter time--it's just bitter here right now.

Oh, make sure you get a pup with a guarantee on their having healthy hips--we didn't, and I regret it. :( You will pay more up front, but less in vet bills later.

Happy puppy hunting!

We have always owned GS. This is the first time we own a lab mix without having a Shepherd. Only because our dog now is a rescue and one dog is all I could handle!!

You will LOVE a GS!!

This is what I can tell you.

Make sure you check out the breeder and everything about the pups lineage. Certain pups are bred from certain parents. Some from highly trained police dogs, to show dogs, to protective dogs, to family dogs. Also, make sure you get a hip certification.

I am assuming you want just a family dog?

GS are highly intelligent. Right from the start you need to let them know who is the alpha dog. They will think nothing of trying to take over.

The require lots of exercise and training. They are loyal and friendly. As with most dogs, upbringing and training usually will determine outcome.

Yes, they chew. ALOT. GS love to play, and tend to do a lot of nipping.

They should not be left alone for long periods of time, since they tend to get separation anxiety easily. If you need to leave, I would crate him with something of yours.

I love GS because they are very loving and so, so smart. And they are beautiful dogs. But I cannot stress enough that you need to let them know who is boss from the beginning.

If you do get one, I would love to see pictures!!!

Best of luck!!

We had a German Shepherd for 13 years. She was a excellent dog. A lot of that I would say was determined by my dh who did an excellent job training her when she was young. She was very well behaved and was actually an inside dog for the last 5 years of her life.

She did the first two years...then it stopped...well the chewing, not the shedding. We had to constantly sweep our kitchen to keep the dog hair at bay. She only lived in our kitchen/dining room and laundry room. She didn't come on the carpeted part of the house at all...in fact to get her to walk through the living room to the bathroom for her weekly bath was almost impossible.

We always used a high end dog food with lamb. Our vet always commented on how healthy she was and the quality of her coat. If we switched to one without the lamb we could almost immediately tell a difference in her coat. Another thing we noticed was that she didn't need to eat as much of the higher end brand than the cheaper brands...so it wasn't that much more expensive....and she pooped less...so less to clean up in the yard.

She loved to run with my dh and also play ball...she was a very active dog.

She was a very loving, caring dog. I never worried about the children playing outside when she was out there...she wouldn't even let my MIL approach the children closely until she knew her better. (she didn't live near us) She always kept herself between her and the dc. She was like a little mother to them. I attribute a lot of that to the training that my dh did with her when she was young. She was excellent around children. Her "love" though was my dh. When he came home you didn't get in her way to greet him. :D

Right now we don't have a dog...and I don't have the time and effort to put into training another dog right now BUT if we did we would get another German Shepherd in a heartbeat.

She died of a stroke about 2 years ago....I miss her...A LOT....and I'm not an animal person at all.

We have two German Shepherds and they are both wonderful dogs. One is 9 years, and the other is about 9 months, I believe.

Yes, but they LOVE to be brushed, and it is a good way to bond. Our 9 year old, we got at the pound, and he was already out of the chewing stage, but the puppy...oh, yes. She chews when she gets bored, and it can be bad. But she doesn't do it unless she is really bored.

We use Science Diet.

Yes, they really need exercise, and they do well with training as well. It gives them something to do and focus on. They seem to need a job to do and really thrive on training. We take ours to the lake to run around and they love it. They also love their walks.

In general, very eager to please. In tune to what you want them to do.

Our older one is a male, and he is a perfect gentleman. He's always been so dignified and serious, but he is also a big baby. He will put his paws up on you and hug you and kiss you. He'd sit in your lap if he could. My sister has him so well trained that he will obey hand signals from the window (as in, if he's outside and she's in the house she will give him hand signals out the window, and he does what she wants him to). He is also very protective. He's fine when my sister takes him with her. He's stayed with her and her roommates at college, etc., but he's territorial, and has to be introduced to people when he's on his own property.

The younger one is a girl and a big, extremely sweet goofball. She's still clumsy and she loves everyone. She always does whatever she thinks you want, even if she doesn't want to. She's the one who will chew if she gets bored, though, and it's not pretty. I'm sure she'll grow out of it.

Not that I can think of. They need stimulation. They need a purpose in life, and they need exercise. They reward you by being the best dog you could every have. Seriously.

We have been blessed to be GSD owners for almost 20 years. Our first dog was a shepherd mix (rescue) and the next year we added a purebred from a home breeder (great dog with MAJOR health problems his whole life). We have had 4 pure breds and 1 mix (shepherd/corgi). One of our current pure breds was a rescue-- she is a sweet dog but she has weak hips and poor conformation (we still LOVE her though!).

We currently own 2 solid white German Shepherds (the others were all black and tans). One from a quality breeder and one was a rescue. It is VERY obvious which one came from the quality breeder! He has been the easiest dog in the world to train. We are picky about our rescue dogs--we knew the background story on this one--and her 'rehab' included 6 months of INTENSIVE training with a professional dog trainer (this made a huge difference). She will NEVER be eligible for her Good Citizenship papers because she is still aggressive to smaller dogs--due to her bad history. We know this and we limit her exposure to other dogs.

ALL of our GSDs have LOVED the family cat! (even the rescue loves him).

Well, they are nick-named 'German Shedders' for a reason. We do not bathe our white GSDs (they have self-cleaning coats) but we do brush at least weekly to keep shedding somewhat controlled. Ours are kept inside mostly and we have to sweep/vacuum daily. As far as chewing-- our GSDs have not been chew-crazy. They do enjoy chewing a good raw bone or a chew toy--but our belongings have been spared!

Personal choice-- but we prefer to feed a meat-based chow that does not have wheat or corn. One of our GSDs cannot digest poultry so she gets an extra special-special feed. We are currently using Blue Buffalo. I feed raw bones (usually beef neck) 2-3 times per week too.

GSDs are also called 'floor rugs'-- they are great inside dogs but they do need room to play/run-- but they really enjoy family walks. When we lived in the city we would take them on a daily walk (weather permitting). Now we live in the country on an acreage they are content with 1-2 times per week and LOVE LOVE LOVE to go hiking with us a the local nature preserves/state parks.

Ours get daily exercise keeping squirrels off of the bird feeders!

Ours have been mostly calm, sweet, snuggle-bunnies and we call them 'gentle giants'. We do not allow ours on furniture, so they are content as foot-warmers. Ours have been great with kids and have been VERY easy to train.

I have never allowed my dogs in the kitchen (since they could easily grab food from the counter)--and they do not go into the older girl's bedrooms (their tails knock over too many treasures when they get excited!).

Ours have been great family dogs-- gentle even with young children and protective when necessary. (We use the command 'friend' and they happily greet people at the door without jumping).

Our dogs like to play-- but only one has ever enjoyed playing fetch. They have all been patient when it comes to being dressed up by a bunch of silly girls!

We have been fine with just one dog-- but we prefer to have 2-- they just seem happier with a friend.

Anything else I should know?

Purchase from a QUALITY breeder. The ones with 'straight backs' (often called CLASSIC or OLD-FASHIONED) are healthier and are more gentle. The ones with 'Shutzhund' backgrounds will be more aggressive--and will tend to have weaker hips. AKC standards are NOT good for this breed.

A good quality GSD will cost around $1000-1500 but will come with a 'warranty'... vet bills for bad hips add up quickly!

Invest in a good trainer. A good dog trainer trains YOU on how to be a good master for your dog(s). Our white GSD male came to us at 10 weeks already knowing how to sit and shake! He passed his good citizenship test and the first 2 levels of obedience training in about 3 weeks! (He was almost 1 yr at time of testing and I had worked with him casually before the classes since I knew what to do).

I researched for nearly one year before we purchased our first one from a quality breeder. If you'd like just e-mail or pm me for a list of breeders I'd recommend.

Jann

We have a 13 month old female GS. We got her when she was 4 months old. The breeder that we got her from breeds for disposition, but also has very healthy hips and legs. We feed her according to their plan, specially formulated dry food, cooked ground chicken, bone supplement and vitamin supplement.

She sheds a lot, she is in the house most of the time and with the colder weather outside and warm inside, she is really shedding right now.

She chews everything, cable wires, bushes, boards off of storage building, sticks, firewood, etc. I have had to put fences around the a/c unit and where the cable comes into the house.

She has a codependent personality. Which is probably a good thing since she will be very protective of her 'pack'. I just don't do so well with the codependent tendensies.

She is very active, needs lots of exercise. We have a large lot, but she isn't happy to be out there by herself, she wants someone out there with her. Usually is it me that gets to go out there and play with her. We haven't had her in any obedience classes yet, her attention span is very short and she is very stubborn. Right now she thinks that the world revolves around her and that we are here to do her bidding. ;)

Overall, she is a beautiful dog, will mature into a great dog that will care and protect her family, but I will never raise another one from a pup again.

We are considering getting a puppy this spring and I was curious as to what we can expect with this particular breed. My DH and I had Dobermans before, so we're used to large breed dogs. :)

They shed a lot and chew like crazy! :D

But, they are smart enough to learn they can't chew everything.

We've had three german shepherds. Our current dog Legend is two. Yes, he needs a lot of exercise. He's a big, active boy. He loves to play soccer and catch the kickball. (With his face.)

His personality is insanely easy. He's deeply involved in family life and desperately needs time with the family. He is NOT a dog that could go all day and not get interaction. He's perfectly content to be in the house, on his rug, laying there perfectly silent, keeping an eye on the kids. He doesn't need to be ON you or in your way. He isn't needy (clingy) but he does need people.

They are AMAZING warning systems and you have to watch that you don't let them carry it away. If you are a mediocre to a weak willed person DON'T get a german shepherd. Their hyper-protective nature can go to far and a strong personality is required to keep them in their proper pack place.

Societally german shepherds are the #1 dog for most bites. Obviously this is because of their police officer role. And society fears them - they are the SECOND most feared dog, only behind pitbulls. I was FLOORED by this as I had never seen that statistic and would NEVER have guessed it. But, truly, people are afraid of german shepherds. Legend is running about 120 lbs and is better behaved than your average cocker spaniel, but people are intimidated by the look and / or the bark.

He is not destructive. He is not aggressive. He is AWESOME with other dogs. He is NOT a pack leader. When you pick a puppy, don't pick the most outgoing or the shy-est.

We feed raw.

Read a LOT over at the Leerburg forum. They are an AMAZING resource.

We have a GSD and a GSD mix. I'll only talk about the purebred here as we've had her since she was a puppy. GSDs are wonderful family dogs. Like dobermans, they are very loyal and protective. They do shed a lot, but different GSDs seem to shed more or less than others. My mix sheds A LOT more than my purebred! My friend who trains GSDs said that the long-haired GSDs actually shed less because their undercoat isn't as thick.

They do chew a lot, but we found that true only when they were puppies. A trunk in the hallway, some baseboard, part of a windowsill, and anything we were careless enough to leave around was destroyed. Once they were adults they rarely chewed on anything they weren't supposed to. They have plenty of chew toys so that hasn't been a problem.

They are high-energy dogs and need a lot of exercise. Some have stronger herding instincts than others. They are working dogs so if their energy isn't burned off, they may be destructive or frustrated. Our girl burns off her energy through play (the dog cannot play fetch -- she's a tugger all the way!). Our Elsa is a people dog. She needs to be with her people all the time and is very lonely without us. She usually prefers to be in the same room we're in. Even if we're taking a bath she'll come in the bathroom and lie down on our dirty clothes, and fall asleep until we're ready to come out. This is after she puts us through her own personal pre-wash cycle and drinks half the water from the tub! She's not an in-your-face dogs unless she wants to play. She is usually content to be near us, but not right up on us all the time like my brother's little Chinese Crested.

She is very friendly. Most GSDs are as long as they're exposed to lots of different people and situations starting at an early age. At the same time, she can be protective if needed. I remember one night someone was cutting through our property and she could hear them doing it out the window. All of her hair stood out and she was growling like a mad-dog! Our beautiful goofball went from silly to ferocious in 2 seconds. It's a good thing she wasn't outside at the time because I would NOT have wanted to be the person she encountered!

They are strong-willed. We have not been able to train her to walk nicely on a leash and she is now 10. She'll be better for awhile, and then the gentle leader is back on. Other than that, she is very trainable. Elsa is the most food-motivated dog I've ever seen, so that definitely helps with training!

The only downside to owning a GSD (and if you've owned dobermans I'm sure you've already experienced this) is dealing with misconceptions other people have. Some people automatically think GSDs are vicious dogs. If you're out in public, you will get comments, looks, and people pulling their children as far away from you as possible. You may also get comments from neighbors. That wouldn't stop me from getting another one though. We've talked about which breed to get in the future, and we keep coming back to GSDs for all the original reasons we chose the breed -- their loyalty, beauty, and the fact that they are excellent family dogs and very good with children. In our minds they are just about as close to the perfect dog as you can get.

Edited by jujsky

Our dog is a seven year old, female German Shepherd.

Coming from Dh who grew up in a household with two German Shepherds...

German Shepherds by nature are guardians of their family members.

They can be suspicious of those who are not immediate family members.

Our GS will bark when she thinks we need to be alerted. She does not take kindly to those who are outsiders. The only exception is her dog sitter.

The breed is extremely smart. They can communicate with signs and gestures. If ours could talk I think she would.

GS like exercise. Our GS loves to walk with us and run at the dog park.

GS are detail oriented dogs. They like to watch and observe things. Ours will sit in front of the dining room window to "watch" what is going on in our neighborhood.

Our family went from having an "alpha male, dense but loveable black to lab" to a "intelligent, guardian/watch dog German Shepherd."

It took us about a month to adjust to the change. Overall GS are wonderful dogs and we are happy with ours.

My parents have two of them. Smart, sweet, good with kids. Great family dogs. Very protective of their family.

The shedding. Oh my. It drives me crazy. We come home and have hair all over everything. Seriously. You need to purchase the ultimate vacuum at the same time you purchase the dog. I could never own one for the hair.

I would also carefully research a breeder. They are prone to hip and ear problems. And you don't want a dog with ginormous teeth and a bad personality.

I would also carefully research a breeder. They are prone to hip and ear problems. And you don't want a dog with ginormous teeth and a bad personality.

This part is very true. BOTH parents (and ideally grandparents) should have OFA certified hips. This isn't a suggestion. It's an absolute necessity. No one wants to put down their 24 month old german shepherd puppy because he's in too much pain to walk. If someone can't afford to OFA certify their breeding stock, they shouldn't be breeding. And if someone can't afford a pup from certified stock, they shouldn't buy a german shepherd. It's a shame, but they've been overbred and the hip problems are serious and fairly widespread. :(

The right pup is worth all the effort and energy you pour into them. We are considering getting a new pup sometime this year.... We just need to decide we truly want to make the commitment, because it's a BIG one. With German Shepherds, it isn't about walks & picking up poop. It's about training and time. :D