Menu

Can you help me catch a super mouse?

Well, we battled mice in the pantry once the weather turned cold. We use a humane live trap and caught about one a day for several days in a row. They were relocated. We then stopped catching them and after several days, thought we were done. We've started noticing signs again but this mouse (mice?!? :glare:) won't be caught. We've tried everything we can think of for bait but he won't enter the live trap.

I won't use poison or glue traps. I don't WANT to use a kill trap but will as a last resort. Any other thoughts? No miss bait suggestions? Will a kill trap work where a live trap won't? Argh. My DDs will be so unhappy if we go that route.

I appreciate any input.

Pegasus

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I already have TWO cats. They are completely worthless, other than looking so cute that we cater to their every whim.

Edited by Pegasus

I've had good luck using pieces of Mounds or Almond Joy candy bars as bait when the usual baits (peanutbutter & squeezy cheese) didn't work.

Jackie

I'll definitely try that. None of our earlier mice were interested in the usual peanut butter or cheese bait. We finally caught several in a row using Ramon Noodles, of all things!

Borrow a cat who can catch mice. I have one who shows no mercy. And I now have no mice. She was a stray and we adopted her, I don't know if that's the difference or not.

Yeah, I recommend a cat.

Amy

PS - May I ask what you will do if you catch the mouse alive? I'm curious.

Edited by mtcougar832
spelling

PS - May I ask what you will do if you catch the mouse alive? I'm curious.

Oh, we caught several mice alive earlier in the season. We take them to a park and release them in a scrubby wooded area that's adjacent.

Also, I edited my original post to mention that we already have 2 cats...the wrong kind, obviously. :glare:

Pegasus

If you live trap you have to make sure you release them at least a mile away. They can follow the scent of their own urine back to your house for a mile (don't remember where I read that, but I had a sneaky mouse once and I would catch him, release him and a few days later he would be back - had very distinct ear so I know it was him. Last time I trapped him I took him about a mile away and never saw him again).

I have a cat who is great at catching mice, but well, then he carries them to his blanket and grooms them, cuddles with them and releases them. I have seen him do it twice.

If you live trap you have to make sure you release them at least a mile away. They can follow the scent of their own urine back to your house for a mile (don't remember where I read that, but I had a sneaky mouse once and I would catch him, release him and a few days later he would be back - had very distinct ear so I know it was him. Last time I trapped him I took him about a mile away and never saw him again).

I have a cat who is great at catching mice, but well, then he carries them to his blanket and grooms them, cuddles with them and releases them. I have seen him do it twice.

Hmmm. . a mile you say? It's definitely more than a mile by the roads but probably close to that as the crow flies (or as the mouse ambles?!?) I'll find another location further away just in case.

I LOVE your description of your cat's antics. So funny I had tears.

Pegasus

LOL, I had a cat like that once. He was so proud of himself and so eager to show it off: "Look at this — I found a cool new squeaky toy right in the backyard!"

Jackie