Menu

The ONE best chapter of each homeschool method book

Hunter

I've heard people rave about the geography chapter in The Core and the instructions for outlining in the logic history chapter of TWTM. It made me think there might be other must read chapters in other books that I might not want to adopt in their entirety.

If you could only adopt ONE chapter from each book/method, which ones would they be?

I agree with the books/chapters you listed, they changed the way I thought about education in general, and those subjects in particular. Another one that was just as influential was the first chapter in Liping Ma's book "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics". The phrase "decomposing a unit of higher value" really helped me out!

I've heard people rave about the geography chapter in The Core QUOTE]

I've seen this mentioned quite a bit here but never beyond "The Core." Is that the complete title? Is it on Amazon? Thanks .:)

This isn't a chapter but I find Rebecca Rupp's journal excerpts the most inspiring part of her books. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/023010035X/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1295048517&sr=8-2

So do I buy the core (not available at the library) just for the one chapter about geography? Is the way she teaches it that different from anyone else to be worth it? It is expensive even second hand so I'm not sure if I should rather invest in some good black line maps?

Stephanie

No - not worth buying just for that. The jist of it is that kids should learn to draw the world map by practicing copying it. (NOT tracing.) You draw the great circles (equator, tropics, etc.) first, then add "blobs" for the continents, being sure to place them on the right great circles. Only after that is easy do you worry about the shapes of the continents.

Here are other threads that may be helpful:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233325&highlight=geography

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229578&highlight=geography

Ask your library to get it through interlibrary loan. Most libraries will get you ANYTHING if you ask.

I only bought the book when I realized I wanted to read the math too. And it was at a local Borders and I had a 33% coupon and didn't need to pay shipping.

My favorite chapter in TWTM is different. It is the one on logic stage language arts--particularly the lists of questions about literature to discuss and then the instructions on how to write about it.

But at one point my favorite chapter was the one on grammar stage science, because it had the simplified experiment write up ideas in it, something that I had been pondering.

And at another point my favorite part was the overall idea of the trivium in the beginning, because it resonated so strongly with my own recollections of what learning was like for me.

I think that going back time after time to TWTM is the smartest, wisest thing a homeschooler can do. There is so much there, and as your children grow and change, and as you develop as a teacher, something different will stand out and win the 'most valuable' prize each time.