Menu

Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior. I found this article over the weekend and thought I

You may want to read this 'follow-up' as well: 'Superior' Chinese mom misunderstood

Thanks for posting that — it sounds like the article just cobbled together the most extreme and controversial snippets from the book. I found this interesting:

The book climaxes with a wrenching confrontation between Chua and her indomitable younger daughter, Lulu, who has resisted Tiger Parenting throughout her childhood. It's she who ultimately makes Chua accept that she's gone too far, and vow to change. And, as it turns out, letting Lulu make her own choices doesn't prove to be the disaster that Chua fears.

I guess the article had the desired effect, though — the book is selling like crazy on Amazon. :glare:

Jackie

You may want to read this 'follow-up' as well: 'Superior' Chinese mom misunderstood

Patchfire, thanks so much for posting this. It did seem odd that someone with Chua's credentials would write such an antagonistic piece.

On the side: I have my browser set to the WSJ home page and I must say it has been a disappointing experience. The WSJ is not what it used to be and on same days it looks a lot more like Fox news.

Edited by swimmermom3

Now this evening there's yet another follow-up in the NYT, "Retreat of the Tiger Mother." You would think they might have included this information in the original article rather than stir up such a fervor with a story/excerpt/article that presented only the first part of the story! I'm a bit disgusted with their tactics, which seem designed to make a ruckus and attract readers.

On the side: I have my browser set to the WSJ home page and I must say it has been a disappointing experience. The WSJ is not what it used to be and on same days it looks a lot more like Fox news.

Apparently ever since Rupert Murdoch acquired the WSJ it has become more sensational. There are certainly more sports pieces and more "fluff" pieces about the mansions of rich folks than there used to be. I'm disappointed as well.

~Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Two immediate thoughts:

1. Just because a child is "superior" academically does NOT a happy child make.

2. I prefer to take my mothering advice from mothers whose children are grown. The proof is in the pudding.

:iagree:

Couldn't agree more on both counts.

Apparently ever since Rupert Murdoch acquired the WSJ it has become more sensational. There are certainly more sports pieces and more "fluff" pieces about the mansions of rich folks than there used to be. I'm disappointed as well.

~Laura

Okay. Thanks for sharing this. Not good at all. Just like I steer away from Fox, I'll stay well away from WSJ ... I no longer read Reader's Digest either. They're on the same track apparently.