Menu

Did I buy the wrong math book?

Embassy

I'm using Singapore for the first time this school year. I tested my boys and put them in the correct levels. I went with the standard workbook and textbook as well as their Speed Math workbook. I didn't get the IP or CWP workbooks. We are also combining Singapore with living math this school year. Anyway, it seems like there is too much repetition in the textbook and workbook. I didn't realize how much practice there would be in the textbook. The textbook seems to be sufficient for my boys to understand a concept so should I be using the IP or CWP instead of the standard workbook?

For 1A through 4B I had dd do a few problems from the textbook, then we would move on to the workbook to really practice. I decided that wasn't the best use of our time and my curriculum dollars when we started 5A, and we now use just the textbook and CWP. I think that for dc who need more practice, having both workbook and textbook is great, but some mathy kids really don't need both. I started ds with only the textbook (plus hands on activities), and the workload seems just right.

With my 6.5 year old son (who has just started 2B SE) we treat the Textbooks and Workbooks differently. In the main, the Textbook is something we go through together, have Socratic discussions, and what-not. Where the Workbooks are done (more or less) independently. For him both Zoroaster are helpful.

The IP books (here we use the US Edition, as there is no SE version) raise the level of challenge quite a bit. Again, helpful if a child "gets" the concepts quickly and needs additional difficulty to keep their head in the game. Sounds like yours fit the profile.

The CWPs (I have the old ones) slowly build the Singapore whole-parts bar diagram method of solving word problems. For me this is an "essential" component of the program, and why Singapore math is our primary math program (which isn't to say we don't thow in a lot of supplements :tongue_smilie:).

I think you would like these books.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I do much the same as Spycar with my DD. I want to see her do at least some of the problems independently. What I've noticed is that the first time a concept is introduced, she ends up doing ALL the pages, but the next time it comes around, even at a more advanced level, she'll skip most of them, and we often end up just doing the chapter review (which I use as a test).

I also skip the practice problems in the textbook, almost all the time. I suspect those are designed for classroom use, where the teacher needs a few extra problems in-class to check understanding before sending kids to the workbook, and since we're 1-1, I don't need that.

DD enjoys the IP and CWP, but rarely is able to handle them independently right now-she can often explain her thinking, but be unable to write them down.

We also do the same as Spycar using the tb for instruction and the wb for independent work. We use CWP (old version) when we're finished with a level. We finished 2B in December and are working through CWP 2 until we start 3A on the 31st. We usually go through CWP in 3-4 wks but took 4 weeks off for Christmas.

There are occasions where the "Autofill" function on the iPad produces some interesting results :tongue_smilie:

Bill (who figures some of you must have been scratching your heads :D)

I try to proof my posts more closely now that I'm using my iPad but occasionally something crazy gets past me. I should add a disclaimer to my sig. :D

There are occasions where the "Autofill" function on the iPad produces some interesting results :tongue_smilie:

Thank you. I reread a few time and then figured I had missed something significant and of great math importance in one of your earlier posts. :D

We also find the TB and WB repetitive and rarely both necessary, but unlike other posters, we just use the WB in those cases. But then again, we're just starting 2A, so that may change. I have the instructor's manual, so we've had discussion and worked some samples together using that. If it still seems unclear, we'll look at the pictures and examples in the TB before starting the WB. But so far, that's often unnecessary.

I guess it's really six-of-one/half-dozen of the other. If I had to choose, at this level, I'd pick the workbook over the text, but I like seeing her work the problems on paper. Probably that means that I'm silly and, again, either would be fine.

We use both Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems, and I'm with Bill on this: both are wonderful and, to me, critical. We don't seem to need Extra Practice so far, and it sounds like you wouldn't have a need for that, either. For whatever it's worth, we do IP and CWP on a delay. IP is definitely more intense than the wb, and, for my more language-focused child, provoked histrionics when we followed the wb section-by-section. As a semester-end review, though, she's much more confident with IP and seems to enjoy the stretching challenges.

Oh good! I thought this may have been another math-something I'd have to look into!!:lol:

ETA: Ditto pretty much what everyone else said in regards to SM usage. Except my big girl is young so she can't work indepedently in the workbook, CWP, or IP book yet.

Edited by MissKNG

I have nothing to add to the main disussion, but there is an acronym and a website for these poorly chosen autocorrections: DYAC (there is some profanity, so you may want to save it for when there are no little eyes). Some of the submissions had me laughing so hard I cried. I have also been a victim of my iPhone's autocorrect feature. ;)

I have nothing to add to the main disussion, but there is an acronym and a website for these poorly chosen autocorrections: DYAC (there is some profanity, so you may want to save it for when there are no little eyes). Some of the submissions had me laughing so hard I cried. I have also been a victim of my iPhone's autocorrect feature. ;)

I only wish I had saved a few I almost posted on this forum. Yikes! :D

Bill