Menu

I have...THREE...different history curriculums! Help

bluecalmsea

I have 3 different history curriculums for 1st. Help me decide which to use and how to use them please :) We hs year-round, starting in July, and take breaks as needed. I have: History for Little Pilgrims, My America and My World (A Beka), SOTW1 w/ AG. Here are my ideas... Option1: Use one of them only. But which one? This is my least favorite option. Option2: Since HFLP is light, do that for the rest of K and for summer. Then do the other 2 together, alternating. Option 3: Use all 3?! Using HFLP as a read-aloud and nothing more? Option 4: ? Unschooling doesn't work for us, and I can't afford to buy other history. These were all bought used very very cheaply. I am planning on doing history 2x/wk, and am scheduling 1 day a wk for catch up of any subjects. I am leaning towards option 2 or 3, but am unsure. Thanks bluecalmsea

I used History for Little Pilgrims from CLP and I didn't like it at all.

I would use SOTW, but that's what I like.

A Beka is a nice overview, but no depth at all. You could easily go through that one quickly.

I would do that over the summer and start with Ancients/Story of the World I in fall.

I am a broken record about SOTW, but I credit SOTW with giving my kids a deep love of history. I wouldn't trade our four years with SOTW for anything!! I would use SOTW with lots of fun, hands-on projects for first grade. I would use the others (which I am not familiar with) as a summer read aloud, or read a chapter each evening as just an interesting book, but not as the official history curriculum.

Avoid Abeka History...no depth, too polished (as in every American historical figure was a Christian of utmost integrity and as a Christian I would have to have a bridge to sell you as well if that were true).

I have not seen, nor heard of History for Little Pilgrims (sounds interesting). SOTW I have, like, and will be using to supplement our program.

We are using SOTW and I am always amazed at how much dd recalls months later. History has become her favorite subject. I bought ABEKA and then sold it, dd said it "talks down to her". I have seen History for Little Pilgrims and it just didn't do anything for either of us.

It sounds like you may be concerned about Am Hist. When your child is out of K and you start 1st, I would just use SOTW. I'm actually a firm believer in the 4 yr rotation--I think many people are afraid that their children will not have knowledge of American History if they use the rotation, but I've found that just isn't true. It comes up, just in context. It's really lovely to use SOTW, and let the supplemental reading from the AG be the first intro to Am. Hist., because your child will understand the Revolution, the Founding Fathers/Constitution, even the Civil War so much better. For example, we are noticing over and over in SOTW how someone unites a kingdom, then the kingdom faces trials--if they hang together, they stay strong. If they split, they are more easily conquered. This will provide such great backround for the Civil War.

If you are concerned, you can still use SOTW, and talk about the national holidays as they come up--Columbus Day can be your first, then maybe Washington's Birthday, President's Day, etc. Say the pledge once in a while (or whatever you decide--we used to start the day with it almost everyday), use Wee Sing America in the car, and be sure to salute the flag when it passes at the parade--in other words, let your citizenship study be an ordinary and not a schooled part of your life.

Really, I can't speak highly enough of SOTW. I agree with the poster who says to sell the other curricula. You can go deeply into AM Hist in junior high. They only hit the highlights in public school, anyway.

$.02 for ya.

I like Mindy's option!

I have a 5th grader now, so I've had a bit of time to realize...you are going to have a few more cycles to go through history. This year you are just warming yourself up. Try to do too much and your going to burn up. Right now all you are doing is wetting her appetite. Have fun and make this and enjoyable loving experience.

Guest Shanna

If I had to choose from what you have I would use SOTW but includes lots of Bible in order to get more biblical history in the beginning. I would also do lots of the activities for such a young age as it will increase understanding and a love for learning.

I would go with option 2 if you want to use more than one. I would use HFLP as a read-aloud for the rest of K and the summer, then move into SOTW next year. We are doing something similar, since I was an ECC dropout this year :rolleyes:. Along with other things, we have been reading HFLP just to get a wide overview. We will then start the ancients next year.