Menu

Ideas for a chapter book with an alternative pov on the crusades?

I'm looking for a logic stage chapter book on the crusades that would present an alternate pov. I have quite a few that come from the perspective of the Crusaders. I also have Saladin: Noble Prince of Islam by Diane Stanley but that is a picture book. I'd love a chapter book for my 11yo daughter to read. Anyone have any ideas?

Hello, I recently read 'The Children's Crusade' by Henry Treece,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-Crusade-Puffin-Books/dp/014030214X

This again follows the Christian crusaders, but this is through the story of two French children swept along on one of the Children's crusades.

It follows how they were drawn into joining and their hardships along the way, including betrayals and aid from Christians and Muslims alike. They are saved and befriended by those they set out to conquer and eventually return much wiser. Still holding their faith but with a new respect for the faith of others.

My children and I have read a few by this author, they get under your skin. I'd recommend it if you can find it.

(There, I've finally sent in my first post after a looong time lurking.)

You made me curious. I am currently studying the Crusades myself in one of my graduate classes....

I googled what you are asking for - couldn't find a thing!!!!

There are a lot of great adult history books out there about this - but none for kids. Weird.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but my oldest read it at about 12yo:

http://www.amazon.com/There-Will-Wolves-Karleen-Bradford/dp/0140383719/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294929224&sr=8-1

It's about a girl who is accused of witchcraft and has to join the crusades to avoid burning at the stake, so she isn't coming from the same point of view of the others who are crusading.

I thought it was a pretty good book.

Hello' date=' I recently read 'The Children's Crusade' by Henry Treece,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Childrens-Crusade-Puffin-Books/dp/014030214X

This again follows the Christian crusaders, but this is through the story of two French children swept along on one of the Children's crusades.

It follows how they were drawn into joining and their hardships along the way, including betrayals and aid from Christians and Muslims alike. They are saved and befriended by those they set out to conquer and eventually return much wiser. Still holding their faith but with a new respect for the faith of others.

[/quote']

Thanks for the recommendation!

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but maybe you can think of:

Crusade in Jeans by Thea Beckman.

I saw it is translated in English.

It is about one of the children crusades, and is written from the view of a modern teenage boy. He sees a lot of sorrows and problems during the crusade. With his 20th century knowledge he helps them and become a kind of leader.

Thea Beckman is well-known in the Netherlands of here history-based youth romans. The book contains some critics on the faith and living of the people of those days.

You can read more at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusade_in_Jeans

This book was made into a movie we watched (netflix link here) and the kids enjoyed it.:)

Edited by Jen+4dc
added link