Menu

If DS9 likes Tuck Everlasting and The Giver...

kokotg

Margaret Haddix wrote a thought-provoking series called Shadow Children. The first book is called Among the Hidden. There are violent/disturbing scenes, but I had no qualms about dd reading it when she was 9. Another good series is the Tripod series by John Christopher. It is a trilogy (The White Mountain is the first book) with a prequel called When the Tripods Came. Both of these series provide great discussion topics. :)

Has he read any Eager books, like Half-Magic? There's a pile that are lots of fun.

How about Inkheart and the sequels? Pretty stiff reading, for a 9yo, but my 10yodd loved them. These would be great for discussion, particularly about how much a creator has responsibility for his creation.

Sisters Grimm series and Mysterious Benedict Society also HIGHLY recommended.

Charlie Bone is a light Harry Potter wannabee--not terrible--

Oops--re-read your post--ditch Charlie.

Guest Carousel

Based on the books "Tuck Everlasting" and "The Giver", I would like to recommend "A Single Shard", "Skellig", "Bud, Not Buddy, Roll of Thunder", "Hear my Cry, Don't You Know There's A War On?" and "Wringer."

As far as collectivist/totalitarian societies go as in The Giver, I absolutely recommend Anthem by Ayn Rand. It is a short book, however, I can't remember if it would be more of a high school read. (Nothing inappropriate that I can recall, it just may be too philosophically advanced)

You can also get free lesson plans for it from the Ayn Rand Institute website.

City of Ember series.

You do know that The Giver has two companion books, right? The Messenger and Gathering Blue. Lowry also wrote another book, Gossamer. I haven't read it, but we saw the play. VERY good.

Bridge to Terabithia?

There are others, like The Hunger Games and Ender's Game, but I see them for older kids. In fact, I consider The Giver a great middle school book. Your kid must be wise beyond his years!

Edited by lisabees

I loved both of those books as a kid about that age.

You might also check into:

Animal Farm

Bridge to Teribithia

Ender's Game

Island of the Blue Dolphins

The Ear, the Eye and the Arm

The Whipping Boy

Maniac Magee

Number the Stars

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Chronicles of Narnia

The Hobbit

Of course, you will want to review these to make sure they are appropriate for your child. Soem of the subject matter may be a bit too mature, as well as some of the writing.

:)

Gathering Blue

The Messenger

Fahrenheit 451 (if he can handle The Giver, he should be able to handle this one)

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Sisters Grimm

Mysterious Benedict Society

Not the same type of book, but my DS9 loved loved the Francis Tucket series by Gary Paulson. He has reread those over and over and he isn't one to do that normally.

Thanks everyone! Some of these he's already read (or had read to him) but a lot are ones I hadn't heard/thought of before. I did know about the sequels to The Giver (I hadn't read them before, but I'm reading Gathering Blue now and I'll either give it to him for school or just see if he wants to read it on his own at some point. I keep eying Ender's Game...my brother just read all of them and suggested it, but wasn't sure if Ari's old enough...I just bought it for my Nook, so I think I'll read it myself and see what I think.