Menu

S/O: Sheets...do you use a top sheet?

I hate top sheets with a fiery passion. When I was in 8h grade, a teacher who had spent time in Europe somewhere mentioned that they use duvet covers instead of top sheets, and I've done that since. Easily washable, less tangles.

When it's warm, I use a lightweight cotton bedspread. If I need more layers, they go on top of the duvet or bedspread, whichever is being used.

In sheet sets, I'll use the top sheet to make a matching duvet cover.

(I also hate sharing covers with another person. DH and I have separate blankets. He is a top sheet person, but thankfully considers the duvet cover a reasonable compromise.)

Edited by ocelotmom

I prefer the feel of a sheet underneath and over me, too, but I also like having a "buffer" between bodies and the quilts or comforters. There is a reason that pillowcases get discolored--the oils from our skin! To a lesser degree the same thing happens with the rest of our bodies and I prefer to keep our quilts/comforters as CLEAN as possible. I want them to last and sheets can always be replaced if they get dingy.

I have honestly never heard of NOT using a top sheet. They keep the rest of the covers from getting dirty from body oils, etc. Interesting - learn something new every day.

We have a down comforter. We used to use a top sheet and a duvet that covered the comforter. I hated that the comforter would get all messed up inside the duvet. It would never stay in place. So what we do now is have a top sheet, then the down comforter, then another top sheet. It has the same effect as a duvet, but without the frustration. Both sheets, along with the bottom sheet, get washed every time we change sheets.

Yes on our bed. I :001_wub: my top sheet, like sleeping in a little envelope of goodness between those 2 similar textures. One of my children CANNOT have a top sheet. It is a jumbled, crazy mess and an impossible fight. Two others do not struggle with such a fight, so I put them on their beds.