Menu

White Fang too depressing? Or wolf book rec

I vaguely remember this book and having to read it in middle school. We are going to do a unit study on wolves for 8th grade, however when I was reading information about this book, I'm not sure it's going to work.

Has any one read the book? What did you think? It sounds that most of it is depressing, frightening, bleak and cynical even though it has a happy ending. My son is going through a grumpy phase right now and I really don't want to add depressing stuff to his coursework.

Do you think it would be a good book for a wolves unit study? Might there be another title that is a bit more positive and cheery? Humor is good...but not sure if there is anything out there for happy wolf stories.

Edit to add: Sorry, I'm not sure this is posted in the right place.

My kids liked Call of the Wild better - dog joins wolves instead of the other way 'round. They also just read Julie of the Wolves - I don't know if it would work as well for a boy, but it is a great book about wolf behavior and there's lots of info on survival skills. There's another book in the series, Julie's Wolf Pack, which I think is just about the wolves and I'd bet you wouldn't have to read the other books to get something out of it.

I vaguely remember this book and having to read it in middle school. We are going to do a unit study on wolves for 8th grade, however when I was reading information about this book, I'm not sure it's going to work.

Has any one read the book? What did you think? It sounds that most of it is depressing, frightening, bleak and cynical even though it has a happy ending. My son is going through a grumpy phase right now and I really don't want to add depressing stuff to his coursework.

Do you think it would be a good book for a wolves unit study? Might there be another title that is a bit more positive and cheery? Humor is good...but not sure if there is anything out there for happy wolf stories.

Edit to add: Sorry, I'm not sure this is posted in the right place.

White Fang is a good book for a wolves unit, however I have decided my son won't read it for all of the reasons you stated. My DS is too sensitive and apt to dwell on the negative, so if we ever use it for school it would have to be when he gains a little more maturity and experience with the world.

Shannon

I personally enjoyed the London books, especially Call of the Wild.

With respect to Julie of the Wolves -- there *is* an attempted marital rape scene. It's pretty low-key imho and when I read it as a young teenager I missed it completely. I also found this book more depressing than the London ones. YMMV.

White Fang is a good book for a wolves unit, however I have decided my son won't read it for all of the reasons you stated. My DS is too sensitive and apt to dwell on the negative, so if we ever use it for school it would have to be when he gains a little more maturity and experience with the world.

Shannon

:iagree: We opted for Julie of the Wolves and skipped the inappropriate parts.

:iagree: We opted for Julie of the Wolves and skipped the inappropriate parts.

Thanks. I'm glad that we aren't the only ones. I know lots of people keep saying they liked it, but it just wont work for us.

He did read Julie of the Wolves awhile ago and enjoyed it, so I'm going to look into Never Cry Wolf and Julie's Wolves.

If anyone else is interested, I found a ton of free lapbook stuff for wolves at homeschoolshare.com. It was under "Unit Studies" and then "Animals." He spent a few days answering the questions, now we're ready to read some good books :)