Menu

Need input on history curriculum...

stephanie

Have you looked at story of the world? it usually has quite a few options for reading more on subjects it teaches. My kids really enjoy it. (we started story of the world 1 but it got put on the backburner waiting for our chicken mummies to get done.. and so now we are restarting it in the fall)

I think with most "packaged" curricula like Sonlight, MFW, WP, TOG, etc. you are going to spend a bunch just b/c all the work has basically been done for you as far as scheduling and choosing readers, etc.. I think if you wanted to save money, you could go with one history spine like MOH or Diana Waring (if you wanted to stick w/ a Christian view) and use the book lists provided to pick and choose your own. I used MOH and some DW this year and used the book list Linda provided in the Appendix of MOH as well as Diana Waring's suggestions and those listed in WTM for the Ancient period. You could also look at the booklist on the Sonlight website for that particular time period and just add those in as well. The readers weren't "scheduled" like they are in a "packaged" curricula but it wasn't that hard to make my own schedule. HTH

I don't know the ages of your kiddos, but have you seen the losbanos site? It's a free American history curriculum for maybe 1st and 2nd grade. There's also a good alternative to Sonlight 5. It's a little new agey for my tastes, but with the exception of a couple of the books, I thought it was worth a look. It's free, too.

Here are some links:

LosBanos

Sonlight 5 Alternative

What about just buying the SL guide, and the spines and using the library for the rest? I know this is a pain to do, but it would save money!

I've used SL a couple of years now and keep all my books in excellent shape. Then I turn around and sell the complete program. I sold my Core 5 last year for nearly what I paid for it new.

Another idea is to do what some above have suggested. Use SOTW as your spine then use the library for your readers/read alouds. Again, this is a pain to do, but it really does save you money. The advantage for doing this is you can pick out your own readers/read alouds.

:iagree:Yes, I do agree! SOTW is our spine. This yr for us was OK (my local, rural library did not have 75% of the books I wanted), so I have decided to just buy 10-15 books as recommended in SOTW (mainly AHSC and RR). It will cost about 150.00...but I get to chose each and every one. I have the SL catalog (never used their curriculum) and I think they are attempting to follow SWB (as they carry her books). I may be wrong on this point...I am really (also) trying to make the next period (middle ages early Ren.) easier, yet more informative. I have decided to just buy the books.

HS is a cost. I hear you!

Well I know Sonlight , Winter Promise , TOG can all be mighty pricey . Unless you purchase the IG and then just get the books from the library .

I know for 3/4th graders I like the Child's History of the World book , this starts from the beginning , ancient history to midevil to American history . So its all in one book . And I just have bought different books to supplement it . You could do the same with Story of the world , or if your willing to use a Christian curriculum Mystery of History ( which just looks excellent to me ) which is priced well and you can use it for varying ages .

We love SOTW and the activity guide. I go through the book lists and see what my library can get for me. I look through other related book lists and also see what friends have enjoyed. I always keep a look out at discount book stores, library sales and curriculum swaps. This has worked well for elementary school.

Thanks, ladies for all the suggestions. I'm going to have to look into things, and think hard about it. I just love that it's easy for me to use. I really need the help with already having the books instead of having to make trips to the library. Also, our library isn't the best one. So, we will see! Thanks again. Y'all are always so helpful!

We love SOTW and the activity guide. I go through the book lists and see what my library can get for me. I look through other related book lists and also see what friends have enjoyed. I always keep a look out at discount book stores, library sales and curriculum swaps. This has worked well for elementary school.
This is what we did too! For SOTW Vol. 1 we wanted to compare the Bible happening with the rest of the ancient world history, so we used timeline figures and stories for timelinesetc.com (their Old Testament set), and had a GREAT 2 year study where we really delved into stuff! We loved it!

Have you seen tanglewoodeducation.com? I am doing their history until we start SL again in core 3+4 I also plan to get 3+4 and use it for two years. I have also seen people selling the used IG for only $15!! On yahoo groups. There are several CM and sonlight recycle or sell groups and they have much better deals than ebay. Also I noticed that out of all of the books most of the readers are at the library, but the spine texts are never there and some times you can find the readalouds. (my library is very bad) HTH