Menu

getting really frustrated looking for psychiatrist for 17yo

My 17yo was diagnosed ADD 6 years ago by a neuropsych. We tried several different medications. None of them helped. All of them caused pounding headaches, joint pain, nausea, and insomnia. After 4 tries, my dd didn't want to try any more medications. The doctor said that he didn't have anything other than medication for us to try. We didn't go back after that.

Now she is interested in trying medication again. Hopefully the side effects at 17yo will be less than at 11yo.

Nobody seems to take our insurance for new patients. Nobody who sees kids will see her because she will be 18yo in three months. Nobody who sees adults will see her because she isn't 18yo yet.

I've left messages for several out-of-network doctors (because none of the in-network doctors will take our insurance for new patients) and they won't return my phone calls.

I'm getting really frustrated here.

I found a psychologist (out of network) for my 12yo to help her with her sleep issues and she's already sleeping much better. I'm thinking of having my 17yo see him. Maybe he can help her without medication (although she really does want to try medication now). If he can't, then maybe he can refer us to a psychiatrist who will actually take her as a patient.

Do you have a medical university center close by? If so, I'd call and just pour my heart out to the neuro-psych department. Many university centers take a wider range of cases and insurances than local hospitals and practitioners do. Plus, the squeaky grease gets the wheel.

Have you tried Omega oil supplements? We've had excellent success treating mild to moderate ADD symptoms with Rainbow, Learning Factors, and Nordic Naturals. I've used all three manufacturers and have found all three to be high quality. I think Ottakee knows more about this...but don't quote me on this. We had a big discussion on the board about four years ago on this subject with lots of good advice about using omega oil supplements for this purpose. So, it's possible that it wasn't Ottakee and someone else who was the resident expert.

Also, watch her blood sugar levels. She doesn't have to be diabetic to have a need for more protein and good fats at two hour intervals. We've had to address dietary issues with our 12 year old because he was losing weight - severely overactive metabolism so very hypoglycemic though not diabetic - and he is changing from my rather spacey child to one that can concentrate sooooo well that the change is astonishing. But, if he gets off schedule with his eating...Mr. Spacey Jitters returns.

Faith

:grouphug::grouphug:

I had tried last year-just for myself because I needed help dealing with my son, and NADA. Every practice was full. It's like the economy crumbled and everyone hit the therapist. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but to a person who needs help...

so, just sympathizing. I know what it's like to want to get help but not being able to. Very frustrating.

Why do you need a psychiatrist? I would just see a pediatrician--they can usually handle things like ADD meds and are more than willing to try out several to find a good fit.

If you want a theraputic component, you could add in an OT who specializes in ADD (yes, there are some), esp if your child needs strategies to help with processing issues., or if it's more of a talk about it kinda thing, a counselor with an MSW or a psychologist ought to be able to help.

ITA and understand about the whole "unavailable" psychiatrist stuff--been there with my kids, too, and myself.

some places (way too few), offer emergency councelling services. if you call a place and say "my daughter turns 18 in three months. we can't wait to see an adult therapist. is there someone on your staff who could see her three times in the next three months and then recommend an adult therapist?"

good luck!

ann

You could look at the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill website nami.org

(I know ADD is NOT mental illness, but these are the people who can help find a good doctor) and check for your local chapter. This is a community of family members of people with various brain disorders, and the leader of the local chapter is someone you can ask for recommendations. There is probably one in your city, wherever you are. A parent (or child) of the patient will always be able to tell you how good the Dr is and may even have some back channels to get a Dr to agree to see you even if you are a new patient, etc. Good luck!

Our new family doctor (previous doctor closed her practice last month) said that she can work on meds with my dd as long she has documentation of her diagnosis. I can't get the original doctor to send me (or her) the documentation. I have some documentation (like TOVA scores) of the testing, but no documentation of the actual diagnosis. I don't get a live person when I call and nobody returns my messages.

You could look at the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill website nami.org

(I know ADD is NOT mental illness, but these are the people who can help find a good doctor) and check for your local chapter. This is a community of family members of people with various brain disorders, and the leader of the local chapter is someone you can ask for recommendations. There is probably one in your city, wherever you are. A parent (or child) of the patient will always be able to tell you how good the Dr is and may even have some back channels to get a Dr to agree to see you even if you are a new patient, etc. Good luck!

:confused: It's in the DSM.

I agree with the advice to just take her to a regular Dr. I don't see a psych for my ADD meds. (I tried, but I couldn't keep her off of her cell phone. Her son called, ''no, you cannot play your xbox right now".........son calls again...."No, I said that you can't play xbox right now". Never did she say 'stop calling me'... so I said 'goodbye')

Stop trying psychiatrists, unless you really NEED a psychiatrist for some reason. I really think an MD may be easier to find.

Edited by ThatCyndiGirl